SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

2 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Sure.

Let's bring that Hera+Ezra 6 threat (150 points!) card.

End of game, Hera is at 4 health and Ezra has launched and is at full. 

How many points has my opponent scored?

It's an overbuilt VCX... just give'em all the points.

Yes, I see your point. I'm going to need to figure something out, because my locals talked me into running a QB tournament...

8 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

It's an overbuilt VCX... just give'em all the points.

Yes, I see your point. I'm going to need to figure something out, because my locals talked me into running a QB tournament...

I ended up just ruling "add the total health on the quickbuild card. If they got to half or more of that number, they get half points" which led to a brobot on 2 and a brobot on 7 giving up zero points! yay!

When we did a quick build tournament, we used 1 threat = 25 points for scoring purposes.  We also played it as a 10 threat game, because someone convinced the TO that was the equivalent of 200 points.

There were a lot of problems with scoring and I don’t think anyone even brought a two ship quickbuild.  My advice is, decide on your rules ahead of time and put them out to everyone the week before.  Also, consider banning two ship quickbuilds just for your own ease of scoring.

In the case of 2-ship builds I'd guess that the addon ship was 1 threat.  Probably closer to 25 points than 50.  Score from there. 

I run a monthly event, 5-threat cross faction (minimum 2 ships from different factions) and 6-threat single faction builds seem to be the popular ones.  We even ran a 7-threat escalation (start with 3 threat, when you lose one ship, hyperspace in 4 more threat with core set hyperspace tokens).  Threat builds have been popular for a handful of folks including some coming back to the game and those not crazy about competitive 200 point play.  We get 6-8 usually for these monthly tournaments, and the good thing is each of these styles we can do 1 hour rounds instead of 75 minutes.  

Posted (edited)

Get in there ya big furry oaf, I don’t care whatcha smell! (Krayts on top)

For quick builds I’d recommend just keeping it super simple. Let the threat be the Mov, so if you completely wipe a list at threat level 8 that’s 8 points. 

I’m not sure how to tackle half points, quick builds are supposed to be a simpler format. It definitely gets messy with the ghost and shuttle, of course having a ghost limp on one health and get nothing for it reeks of 1st edition. Maybe half health on a ship in the threat = half of a threat point? But then with double ints, dropping both to 1 hull is the same as killing them outright so idk.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

R4-P is basically a small Leia. The droid is twice the cost (4 vs 2), but pays less opportunity cost for the slot. He can only be used on basic maneuvers (no k-turn/tallon/sloops/stops!) and has no recurring charge like Leia, but can be used twice back to back. He also does not effect the entire squad at unlimited range.

Clearly he is much worse than Leia, and overall much more expensive.

Could this hint towards the new cost of Leia?

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

R4-P is basically a small Leia. The droid is twice the cost (4 vs 2), but pays less opportunity cost for the slot. He can only be used on basic maneuvers (no k-turn/tallon/sloops/stops!) and has no recurring charge like Leia, but can be used twice back to back. He also does not effect the entire squad at unlimited range.

Clearly he is much worse than Leia, and overall much more expensive.

Could this hint towards the new cost of Leia?

I think R4-P is just poorly priced.  It looks really stupid next to R4 astromech.

Also, if anyone was watching the VASSAL games last night, how followable was it?  Considering doing some weekly(ish) streamed VASSAL games against whoever wants to play, if it's something that you'd like to see.

Just now, Brunas said:

Also, if anyone was watching the VASSAL games last night, how followable was it?  Considering doing some weekly(ish) streamed VASSAL games against whoever wants to play, if it's something that you'd like to see.

I watched it today. Was very good for me.

• Keeping the chat as large allows me to recheck if I missed something.
  • In this case the lists were obvious. I don't know how to show them in a way that's not too complicated or too much work setting it up.
  • I liked the drawings a lot.
  • Commenting alone or with Travis was both ok, I wouldn't say that a second person is really necessary but it is clearly a benefit.

If you do that regularly then a title image and name to easily search for specific matchups would be super helpful, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

1 minute ago, Brunas said:

Very followable, but then neither of the lists really had any crazy dice interactions going on. And I expect Bunn/Blair to know what they're doing more than rando #7 (though apparently not what crits do, rekt)

Incidentally I think the discussion about ships count was accurate. In my, limited and closer to Nathan's version, testing it seems to do very well against 3 ships lists but has a harder time against larger counts that don't need to be clumped up. Haven't hit a TIE swarm with it yet but I think it's going to have a hard time getting sufficient arcs on Han while maintaining Howlrunner bubble and lacking the 3 dice punch to occasionally stick a crit just through having more results than Han has dice

P.S. Bunn you should have boosted

Cool - yeah, I'm going to see if I can get the standard stream overlays over it, then we can not worry about the player areas at all which should make life a little easier.  I'm thinking of just doing games vs the krayt hivemind - I'll just stream one side of things and we'll talk through our side of the game as we play it.  Might be a bit slow, but hopefully useful?

26 minutes ago, Makaze said:

P.S. Bunn you should have boosted

F

And yeah, I'm really curious to see what happens to the ship count.  As your ship count goes up quad phantom probably gets harder to play against, but Han feels much worse to lose to than phantoms and we aren't the most rational playerbase...

2 minutes ago, jagsba said:

haven't seen it yet. But unequivocally, I want Travis. If you can make sure he's been drinking before, even better.

Just now, Biophysical said:

Is that vassal game/commentary viewable after the fact?  I was playing my own Fat Han game at the time.

Yeah, it's uploading right now - just need to trim a bit off the start of it.

Posted (edited)

Some actual feedback: 

• Hi Everyone. Happy Friday
  • Talking about X-Wing or literally anything in a way that allows space for nuance is the best, which is what that video does well. 
  • Not just "Im not sure....*insert wild definitive guess here" 
  • But actually talking through the merits of possible options is helpful, even if everyone involved is 75% unsure of what correct is. 
  • Thats what good teammates do. Explanation of thought process is the useful bit. 
  • Awhile back I recorded a couple 15-30 min self practice games that I never released because I couldn't figure out a way to make it "honest", tried to hard to say correct things. 
  • One thing that would be helpful is just to have a 3rd person or robot behind the scenes running Gate of Storms expected results the entire game. 
  • Show the image below in the bottom corner after most but not all the rolls. 
  • Maybe Vassal and GateofStorms can be connected somehow so this renders real time? That would be awesome but also sounds like work. 

z7kvzUt.png

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:
  • One thing that would be helpful is just to have a 3rd person or robot behind the scenes running Gate of Storms expected results the entire game. 
  • Show the image below in the bottom corner after most but not all the rolls. 
  • Maybe Vassal and GateofStorms can be connected somehow so this renders real time? That would be awesome but also sounds like work. 

z7kvzUt.png

so, real time lady luck?

8 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Would the Gate of Storms prediction be "if the remaining squads just jousted this is what would happen?"

I think just for the next attack roll. So once target is declared it shows the expected damage distribution of the attack. Or if a simple number is enough info then similar to the range lines show the expected damage to each target next to the line