SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

43 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

No Consequences Clouds.

I'm assuming once we get past the initial trying things out phase most players are going to realize that bringing 3 gas clouds is potentially a huge liability and will learn not to do it. But I agree that an errata on how gas clouds work is probably the endgame here, it's just a question of how long until FFG realizes that. 

Idk whoever else is at Adepticon but my friend and I are standing in line by the Discovery Hall which doesn’t open for another 90 minutes if anyone wants to meet up 😂

...or if anyone knows of anything happening that would be better than standing in one place waiting for shiny Vultures 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

But I agree that an errata on how gas clouds work is probably the endgame here, it's just a question of how long until FFG realizes that. 

Depends on what game FFG is striving for. It may not the game we visualize.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

As of the current balance levels, Hyperspace or Hyperspace adjacent squads seem to be competing pretty well in Extended despite the huge increase in options for Extended.  So if you like that type of stuff, it seems as if its still pretty viable.  

I care more about hyperspace having less of the combo wing that was so emblematic of late 1e. It's well and good that I can fly hyperspace in extended. The issue is telling me 'you don't have to play combowing' doesn't solve the issue of 'you have to play against combowing'

Edited by jagsba

5 hours ago, svelok said:

Blade Squadron Veteran (43)    
    Selfless (3)    

Saw Gerrera (52)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Braylen Stramm (47)    
    Selfless (3)    

Ten Numb (46)    
    Selfless (3)    

Total: 199    

Thanks, I hate it

Lose the generic for Biggs, downgrade the U-Wing and you can fit R2. 

Then set it all on fire. 

8 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Lose the generic for Biggs, downgrade the U-Wing and you can fit R2. 

Then set it all on fire. 

Downgrade Saw to Cassian so you can fit Biggs.  Braylenn ❤️ Cassian!

10 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Downgrade Saw to Cassian so you can fit Biggs.  Braylenn ❤️ Cassian!

Can confirm. Focus>>intentionally failing the br for rerolls thanks to stress is supposed to be balanced by the bad dial. Cassian disregards it.

Just now, PaulRuddSays said:

I just didn’t want to say it out loud and be judged. 

We'll judge you whether you say it or think it. And we judge you, like all things on the internet, as unworthy.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

We'll judge you whether you say it or think it. And we judge you, like all things on the internet, as unworthy.

I had a couple options for how to respond with this, but I think the right one is: 

JUUUUUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it’s ok to be disappointed if you were hoping for Xwing Worlds to be Extended.    I think hyperspace would have been cool, but I probably won’t be going.  

Hyperspace trails are still the most frequent, though, so I have a hard time understanding the idea that hyperspace should just be dumped because it isn’t the format for Worlds, especially if you actually like it.    Sure takes a lot of pressure off if you enjoy hyperspace format and no longer need to worry about playing at Worlds.

I also think that Biophysical’s post a few pages ago about the odd nature of competitive X-Wing is worth reviewing.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I mean, I think I just get different things out of this game than others do.

I feel how I feel.

Not for long you don't.  The feelings police are coming for you.  

More seriously, though, I am curious.  From your descriptions on the podcast, it sounds like we very much enjoy this game for similar reasons, and Extended doesn't seem so much different than Hyperspace to diminish that enjoyment.

Edited by Biophysical

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Not for long you don't.  The feelings police are coming for you.  

They already have. I've dropped almost all of my x-wing social groups.

Edit: Which likely just means a cool off period, like at the end of 1.0.

Edited by Tlfj200

1 minute ago, Tlfj200 said:

They already have. I've dropped almost all of my x-wing social groups.

You got me before I added more to the above comment.  From someone who seems to enjoy the game in similar ways to me (as far as I can tell), we have very different responses to the format changes, and I definitely don't understand why. 

Like, if I had my way, the core format would be No Glory, with a few ships (Phantoms) further nerfed.  That feels like the purest way to experience the game, emphasizing board play way more than combos of any kind.  I still have fun with Extended, though, and I wonder where the difference is.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You got me before I added more to the above comment.  From someone who seems to enjoy the game in similar ways to me (as far as I can tell), we have very different responses to the format changes, and I definitely don't understand why. 

Like, if I had my way, the core format would be No Glory, with a few ships (Phantoms) further nerfed.  That feels like the purest way to experience the game, emphasizing board play way more than combos of any kind.  I still have fun with Extended, though, and I wonder where the difference is.

The difference was my experience at unplugged - almost every extended game I played had a lot of unfun elements one one or both sides of the board.

I brought a 16 point bid, which auto-won me 3/5 games (and should have won me my first round game, but I literaly made a very, very massive mistake). The game I lost against Andrew Cox was a good game, but double quad jumpers was a massively unfun experience. Even one quad is an unfun experience.

Whereas at KraytCup, at the end of both days, for the first time in nearly 2 years, I still wanted to play another game of x-wing right after. This is separate from having fun with the people - the game was fun.

So my concern with extended is the sheer volume of things going on, and the (correct) attraction to removing agency. So far in hyperspace, agency seems REALLY preserved, while still promoting a surprising amount of playstyles.

One of the reasons I need a break from many x-wing social groups is the clear, [unsupported] assertions of things like 1) hyperspace is just a joust fest (it sure is if you don't know what you're doing, but spoiler - so is extended) and 2) the increased volume of 'combos' [that term can be a little loosey-goosey, and we can define it separately), and 3) hyperspace has been panning out to be surprisingly varied in squads and feel - it's not that extended can't also be, but man, taking empire for example, everything is almost all phantoms + stuff (or just + more phantoms). It's not wrong, but it's a little sad.

Edited by Tlfj200

6 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

The difference was my experience at unplugged - almost every extended game I played had a lot of unfun elements one one or both sides of the board.

I brought a 16 point bid, which auto-won me 3/5 games (and should have won me my first round game, but I literaly made a very, very massive mistake). The game I lost against Andrew Cox was a good game, but double quad jumpers was a massively unfun experience. Even one quad is an unfun experience.

Whereas at KraytCup, at the end of both days, for the first time in nearly 2 years, I still wanted to play another game of x-wing right after. This is separate from having fun with the people - the game was fun.

So my concern with extended is the sheer volume of things going on, and the (correct) attraction to removing agency. So far in hyperspace, agency seems REALLY preserved, while still promoting a surprising amount of playstyles.

One of the reasons I need a break from many x-wing social groups is the clear, [unsupported] assertions of things like 1) hyperspace is just a joust fest (it sure is if you don't know what you're doing, but spoiler - so is extended) and 2) the increased volume of 'combos' [that term can be a little loosey-goosey, and we can define it separately), and 3) hyperspace has been panning out to be surprisingly varied in squads and feel - it's not that extended can't also be, but man, taking empire for example, everything is almost all phantoms + stuff (or just + more phantoms). It's not wrong, but it's a little sad.

As someone who almost quit xwing when hyperspace was announced and my group switched to it, took six weeks off, and then gave it a try... hyperspace is the most fun i've ever had in x-wing.  I'll be very sad if it goes away.

2 minutes ago, powersink said:

As someone who almost quit xwing when hyperspace was announced and my group switched to it, took six weeks off, and then gave it a try... hyperspace is the most fun i've ever had in x-wing.  I'll be very sad if it goes away.

Wow... that is... not how I expected that to end when I started reading that sentence.

2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Wow... that is... not how I expected that to end when I started reading that sentence.

I just like that in hyperspace there isn't anywhere to hide... if I screw up I get punished... my combos won't bail me or my opponent out.  Also, at first I didn't think there would be many options... but it seems like list building is more engaging... every point spent needs to serve a purpose, because the rest of my combo won't bail out my sub-optimal choices.  Now looking at extended... there are so many auto=includes it seems like 1.0... (oh, i'm imps with 31pts... copty paste inquisitor).