SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

11 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

So a bunch of, say, Initiative 4 ships, maybe a swarm of them, 6 or so, with double modded attacks maybe, wouldn't pose a problem for an I3 AGI1 ship?  

But no one would play that sort of list /s

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Well... lotta B-Wings players don't play a decent game of X-Wing... does that help?

(note: I did not say all, because there are some good ones that know what they are doing and the world is going to end in a big flaming ball of dumpster grade material as the collective X-Wing player base all align to complain about this one thing I swear because nothing else could possibly be as broken as B-Wings in Hyperspace)

Fite me Friday starting early I see.

5 hours ago, Biophysical said:

So a bunch of, say, Initiative 4 ships, maybe a swarm of them, 6 or so, with double modded attacks maybe, wouldn't pose a problem for an I3 AGI1 ship?  

What fit the description?

Keep in mind bwings also have wedge to provide ini killing if needed

1 hour ago, Sunitsa said:

I think he's talking about the inferno squad. 

Not sure if this is the exact build but I know it's something like this;

(40) "Howlrunner" [TIE/ln Fighter]
(3) Swarm Tactics

(40) Iden Versio [TIE/ln Fighter]
(3) Swarm Tactics

(30) Del Meeko [TIE/ln Fighter]

(30) Gideon Hask [TIE/ln Fighter]

(30) "Wampa" [TIE/ln Fighter]

(23) Academy Pilot [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 199

Blade Squadron Veteran (43)    
    Selfless (3)    

Saw Gerrera (52)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Braylen Stramm (47)    
    Selfless (3)    

Ten Numb (46)    
    Selfless (3)    

Total: 199    

Thanks, I hate it

2 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

17 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

I think he's talking about the inferno squad. 

Not sure if this is the exact build but I know it's something like this;

(40) "Howlrunner" [TIE/ln Fighter]
(3) Swarm Tactics

(40) Iden Versio [TIE/ln Fighter]
(3) Swarm Tactics

(30) Del Meeko [TIE/ln Fighter]

(30) Gideon Hask [TIE/ln Fighter]

(30) "Wampa" [TIE/ln Fighter]

(23) Academy Pilot [TIE/ln Fighter]

Total points: 199

Yes.  And Iden really makes it impossible to initiative kill one early.

58 minutes ago, svelok said:

Blade Squadron Veteran (43)    
    Selfless (3)    

Saw Gerrera (52)    
    Leia Organa (2)    
    Pivot Wing (0)    

Braylen Stramm (47)    
    Selfless (3)    

Ten Numb (46)    
    Selfless (3)    

Total: 199    

Thanks, I hate it

Generics Bwings best Bwings. Also hull upgrade>selfeless

You lack Wedge (and Cassian, but the Leia carrier is less important)

50 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Yes.  And Iden really makes it impossible to initiative kill one early.

You don't need to initiative kill one early thought. Unless somehow you screw up the approach and 6 TIEs that needs to swarm fly can focus fire on Leia or Wedge you should be fine.  I don't see it as an hard counter, but I might be biased against TIEs and their heavy green dice dependency.

Swarms are usually niche anyway thought, not many people want/own/enjoy them

Posted (edited)

Im more upset about Gas Clouds.

They remove some genuinely interesting board states and tactics from the game without introducing anything I view as meaningful strategy. At least Debri give a stress and restrict dial options. We can still take rocks but I expect on average it will be just Aces that stay with asteroids. 

Its lame to see full cloud games where neither opponent is truly actively concerned about avoiding obstacles ( most ships have passive mods or actions now ). 

It seems to me like clouds are intended to encourage use of Formation Swarms or 6-8 ship lists. Thats a noble cause, but essentially removing 3 obstacles from the table is not how I imagined that would happen.

Edited by Boom Owl

56 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

You don't need to initiative kill one early thought. Unless somehow you screw up the approach and 6 TIEs that needs to swarm fly can focus fire on Leia or Wedge you should be fine.  I don't see it as an hard counter, but I might be biased against TIEs and their heavy green dice dependency.

Swarms are usually niche anyway thought, not many people want/own/enjoy them

If B-wings are ascgood as you think, people will suddenly start to enjoy swarms.

Not Hard Counter, but Significant Advantage to the swarm.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Im more upset about Gas Clouds.

They remove some genuinely interesting board states and tactics from the game without introducing anything I view as meaningful strategy. At least Debri give a stress and restrict dial options. We can still take rocks but I expect on average it will be just Aces that stay with asteroids. 

Its lame to see full cloud games where neither opponent is truly actively concerned about avoiding obstacles ( most ships have passive mods or actions now ). 

It seems to me like clouds are intended to encourage use of Formation Swarms or 6-8 ship lists. Thats a noble cause, but essentially removing 3 obstacles from the table is not how I imagined that would happen.

Yeah, I'm also kinda sad about the low consequences of Gas Clouds. Giving up an action to have position and a shot is a great trade.  Heck, it's sorta what happens you spend your action to boost or barrel roll.

I still feel like they ought to have given you a strain after the Check Difficulty step.  Still kinda low consequences, but it'd give you something to think about.

Edited by theBitterFig

1 minute ago, jagsba said:

Gotta win the format ffg doesn't care about so you can go play x-wing LCG at world's

I mean, sorta? But why does anyone want that prize now?

Like, hyperspace seems like the baby format (to FFG), so we might not even see it for future regionals at this point.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Yeah, I'm also kinda down on the low consequences of Gas Clouds. Giving up an action to have position and a shot is a great trade.  Heck, it's sorta what happens you spend your action to boost or barrel roll.

This is at least an example of what I am talking about. The Aces player maybe regrets not taking Big Rocks.  

The Front Line of the swarm just opts into R1 of a cloud. Next Turn the front two Tie Fighters turn right directly over or land on the cloud. 

After that the Swarm eventually K-Turns onto and around the bottom right corner cloud and flys back over the middle cloud later.

Basically collecting 3-4 obstacle overlaps over as many turns. No Consequences Clouds.

zuiUij5.png

🤔

Edited by Boom Owl

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

This is at least an example of what I am talking about. The Aces player maybe regrets not taking Big Rocks.  

The Front Line of the swarm just opts into R1 of a cloud. Next Turn the front two Tie Fighters turn right directly over or land on the cloud. 

After that the Swarm eventually K-Turns onto and around the bottom right corner cloud and flys back over the middle cloud later.

Basically collecting 3-4 obstacle overlaps over as many turns. No Consequences Clouds.

🤔

Indeed.  2e went a long way towards making dials and position matter a lot more.  Gas Clouds undo a bunch of that.

19 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Why do we care what b-wings do to hyperspace format now?

That's sort of an genuine question - it seems sort of moot?

Because you plan to play at Hyperspace events?

You enjoy playing the Hyperspace format?

You weren't planning on every game you play to be practice for Worlds?

17 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Because you plan to play at Hyperspace events?

You enjoy playing the Hyperspace format?

You weren't planning on every game you play to be practice for Worlds?

I mean, the only reason I play hyperspace is because it's the regionals format. 

I have a single regional in my area, so my season is done after next weekend, then I wait until July to see if extended gets fun (for me).

I'm still struggling to see why hyperspace format exists, now that we know ffg wants extended to be the main format.

12 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Bwings are ridiculously strong, I'm not sure Hyperspace is ready for them.

46 points for a ps 3 with 9 hp

B-Wings have 8 HP. So clearly they are actually ridiculously week and overcosted.

Posted (edited)

Presuming Hyperspace had been the Worlds format, that'd be a major vote of confidence in it from FFG.  It'd say "Hyperspace is the premier competitive format, the one that *WE* care about."  And that incentivizes FLGS to run Hyperspace instead of Extended events, and fits in with regionals as Hyperspace events.  There's some benefit to the highest-level competitive format being also the most accessible.  In both directions.  It becomes easier for a new player to buy acquire competitive lists.  It motivates longer-term players who have five of everything to play Hyperspace instead of Extended, since that's the prime competitive structure.  It also brings more balance to the factions, since the newer ones have so many fewer ships and pilots.

I guess there's always going to be a dominant, supported format, and a format which is an unsupported afterthought.  While World will never effect me directly, I think it helps cement Extended as the dominant format, and Hyperspace as some afterthought.  Older players with big collections can stick with familiar ships, rather than going back into the same pool as newer players.  Local kit tournaments have little motivation to be Hyperspace.  I mean, for a lot of players, an unsupported Hyperspace format might as well be Quickbuild.

*e*

The game is social.  It doesn't necessarily matter what format I like, so long as that's the one folks near me want to play.  I think it'll be a lot harder for local communities to be Hyperspace going forward.

Edited by theBitterFig

12 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I have a single regional in my area, so my season is done after next weekend, then I wait until July to see if extended gets fun (for me).

I'm still struggling to see why hyperspace format exists, now that we know ffg wants extended to be the main format.

Do :wat: You :wat: Man

1 minute ago, Tlfj200 said:

I'm not sure that I agree with "Worlds format = main format".  Most of the competitive events are Hyperspace, regional oddities notwithstanding.  Worlds is one tournament that most people didn't go to (even when it was open access).  For the vast majority of people, most of their non-local competitive games will be Hyperspace.  They aren't looking to get tickets to Worlds, they're looking to do as well as they can at a handful of trials in easy driving distance.  

If the only thing you want out of a Hyperspace Trial is to get your ticket punched to Worlds, I would still think you'd care what was good in Hyperspace.  

As to why Hyperspace exists?  I don't know, and I don't particularly care.  I enjoy both formats and am happy to play either one.  As of the current balance levels, Hyperspace or Hyperspace adjacent squads seem to be competing pretty well in Extended despite the huge increase in options for Extended.  So if you like that type of stuff, it seems as if its still pretty viable.