SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

By the way, the reason why I disagree with what I said is that matchup luck is in my opinion more important in extended than hyperspace.

If someone were to show me why matchups are just as or less impactful in hyperspace as in extended, then I'd say extended is a good choice for worlds.

A wider range of options and particularly a wider range of control options like e.g. Palob or Sloane means that there are potentially more hard counters, and that they counter harder.
If that were true (I don't know, but I think it is), then the wider range of matchups and larger amount of hard counters means that a list is more susceptible to bad matchups.

5 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Who goes to worlds? Only good players, nobody else. There is no raffle this year where little Timmy is suddenly staring down the best of the world. No, this time all the players going to worlds are top. Switching to extended has several 

Only part I really disagree with. World's will have competent players that can afford to travel a lot. Being able to afford to travel Wyoming to pick at easier competition is a bigger indication of being able to go to worlds than being the best of the best.

1 hour ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Only part I really disagree with. World's will have competent players that can afford to travel a lot. Being able to afford to travel Wyoming to pick at easier competition is a bigger indication of being able to go to worlds than being the best of the best.

Don't forget the concessions in cut from players that already have invites. (not a problem to me, but undercuts "best of the best" narrative).

As long as Worlds will be only held in Roseville, Minnesota I'd say there are more serious geographic obstacles than people going to farm invites in Wyoming

46 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

Inb4 wave 5 is a reskinned jump master for each faction.

this definitely going to happen in a wave or two

8 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

As long as Worlds will be only held in Roseville, Minnesota I'd say there are more serious geographic obstacles than people going to farm invites in Wyoming

That is true, but I also understand why it is in Roseville. Just arguing against the notion that worlds will be the "best of the best". At least with the lotto system it was more transparent as being a tournament for those who could afford to go, unlike now.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

That is true, but I also understand why it is in Roseville. Just arguing against the notion that worlds will be the "best of the best". At least with the lotto system it was more transparent as being a tournament for those who could afford to go, unlike now.

Hypothetically speaking though... I'm more likely to scrape up the cash to go with an invite than I am just to show up with a lotto ticket purchase.

It's hypothetical as I don't expect to win an invite. (ouch, I was so close though!)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Hypothetically speaking though... I'm more likely to scrape up the cash to go with an invite than I am just to show up with a lotto ticket purchase.

It's hypothetical as I don't expect to win an invite. (ouch, I was so close though!)

That's fair - having an invite is a great motivator to save! From an adulting standpoint, you could always just save each year to go and if you don't get a ticket - put it into savings, go an a different vacation... etc. 

Also I super believe in you, LagJanson. Go get that invite!

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

19 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I know it's been  brought up a bunch, but I really don't think there's an ideal spot for worlds as long as there's oceans 

11 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Also I super believe in you, LagJanson. Go get that invite!

*Snerk*  - I'll need luck in the pairing to pull it off, much better players in the area than I. I'll be super happy just walking away with some dice. They would make a fine addition to my collection.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

*Snerk*  - I'll need luck in the pairing to pull it off, much better players in the area than I. I'll be super happy just walking away with some dice. They would make a fine addition to my collection.

I am right there with you. I am actually interested in the templates too if the bottom is clear - they may look cool with metallic paint like the most recent nats tokens.

I've seen the dice in person and they are gorgeous.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

1 minute ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

I am right there with you. I am actually interested in the templates too if the bottom is clear - they may look cool with metallic paint like the most recent nats tokens.

I've seen the dice in person and they are gorgeous.

The bottom on mine was some filmy looking stuff that makes them.look kinda dirty... also had two 3 straights and no 2 straight... still waiting to hear back from ffg about that.

Just now, powersink said:

The bottom on mine was some filmy looking stuff that makes them.look kinda dirty... also had two 3 straights and no 2 straight... still waiting to hear back from ffg about that.

Oof. Yay FFG QC!

Do you think they could be painted? I was just thinking a metallic darker blue.

1 minute ago, powersink said:

I've heard a few comments regarding the... odd... sets of templates. Considering the system open ones were handed off in zip lock baggies that looked barely sealed... I'm somewhat unsurprised. At the very least, you'll have more stories to tell of your accomplishments and will remember the moment longer.