SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

41 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Fun fact, the Vipers' wings are already able to move. They're molded in pairs (top and bottom) connected by a peg that is on purpose not fully rounded on one side. They're held in place by the glued on cockpit, nothing else. Slightly shaving it to make it round allows the wings to fold without issues.

Basically, except for the fact that people would play with the wings more, it's not a massive mold change and it doesn't weaken the currently existing miniature.

My buddy did that and his pegs broke off after only a few games. Not a bit sample size but enough to keep me from doing it, even though I really want movable SV wings.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

Haha, for sure - I think the YOLO bomb defuse is a great analogy actually.  It was probably a terrible idea, but it appears that it might work.

Being right on accident IS a decent business strategy, after all!

I'm most worried about the fact that this suggest that they'll be YOLO bombing again. I guess we just clench and hope they cut the right wires everytime?

Luckily, I have an abundance of Vipers and tried different ways of getting those wings moving. It's not a video, but I do have pictures, see this post.

I really don't recommend magnets for this trick, pinning or shaving depends on how easy your cockpit comes off. 

35 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Luckily, I have an abundance of Vipers and tried different ways of getting those wings moving. It's not a video, but I do have pictures, see this post.

I really don't recommend magnets for this trick, pinning or shaving depends on how easy your cockpit comes off. 

I think you'll find it gets off pretty easily.

6 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Honestly, given pricing, I’m leaning towards Plo and Luminara being the top Jedi. The clones seem really strong. Pair either with a pair of Arcs and watch out. And I’m curious if battle meditation can work…

I've leaned that way and fallen over.

2 7th Gunners and Plo to BatMed them both double mods, while running away with the disarms for 2 turns.

ARCs burn fast though, so not sure if 13 points for maybe 2 turns of double mods on 18 points of extra dice actually adds up.

Particularly since I got that far and ran out of places to put more points. If only APTs were HS legal.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Dang it... was hoping for a more direct Guri joke.

So I realize I’m likely among the first wave to purchase the new ships but have been totally unable to use them. Anybody got direct feedback on droids yet?

My FLGS got in everything but servants of strife. As such, I had to pile too many upgrades on the vultures to hit 200 and they popped and weren’t really worth their points, but they did pull heat from Dooku who was a beast and couldn’t really get killed in an endgame. 

They should be able to pull off a pretty good “ace mini Swarm” where the ace is a pile of 1.0esq upgrade triggers and the mini Swarm is pretty well a full real Swarm next to it. 

Dooku with title and Palp, plus six vultures (or five with energy shell charges) fits pretty nicely.

Edited by AEIllingworth

2 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Dang it... was hoping for a more direct Guri joke.

So I realize I’m likely among the first wave to purchase the new ships but have been totally unable to use them. Anybody got direct feedback on droids yet?

I also quickly realized that having three Vultures is way too few.  I too had to beef mine up past what they should be.  Landing them on Asteroids and using them as these little rotating turrets is just so much fun, though.  Don't worry about Energy Shells being a pain to recharge, because these ships pop so fast that it's unlikely they'll need to fire them more than once.  My next adventure is to try and figure out just how much of a pain it's going to be to line up and get the buzz droids on a ship.  Seems hard from trying through one game, especially with the fragility of the vultures.

I agree with the sentiment that they're going to be really good as an ace/support ship + swarm.  Kraken on the support seems very good because they hunger for multiple calculates and when they're getting shot at first (often), you end up using at least one calculate just to keep them alive to shoot in many cases, so having the second calculate can be essential in getting off your charges.

58 minutes ago, impspy said:

How do the Saber Squadron Interceptors fair against Rebel Beef?

If employed en masse, I think they have a decent matchup.  They beat the initiative of I2 or I3 beef, and not much I4 beef exists.  They initiative kill a Y-wing pretty easily, but will lose someone on the return shot if you're at R2 of 5Ys, for example.  Overall, it's a decidedly winnable game, but you have to be careful early when there's a lot of shots on the board.  The longer the game goes, the easier it gets, though. 

19 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

If employed en masse, I think they have a decent matchup.  They beat the initiative of I2 or I3 beef, and not much I4 beef exists.  They initiative kill a Y-wing pretty easily, but will lose someone on the return shot if you're at R2 of 5Ys, for example.  Overall, it's a decidedly winnable game, but you have to be careful early when there's a lot of shots on the board.  The longer the game goes, the easier it gets, though. 

I was thinking of them as wingmates for Vader. Should be able to range control better than the other Imperial HS ships with the action economy. 

Now to relearn how to fly Interceptors; I haven't touched Extended since November.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

WAT?!?!?

Why do you travel so much and not be on OCX livecasts when we want you? Also, play any wave 3 yet? If yes, thoughts? If no, what have you been theorycrafting with points? 

57 minutes ago, impspy said:

I was thinking of them as wingmates for Vader. Should be able to range control better than the other Imperial HS ships with the action economy. 

Now to relearn how to fly Interceptors; I haven't touched Extended since November.

Read the blog

44 minutes ago, RStan said:

Why do you travel so much and not be on OCX livecasts when we want you? Also, play any wave 3 yet? If yes, thoughts? If no, what have you been theorycrafting with points? 

Haha. Its the only way I can make enough money to afford all these new ships!

I havent played any official Wave 3 yet but I did play some vassal proxy test games with friends after mostly all the spoilers dropped.

Tried Maul/Greivous/2xESC, Maul and 5 Vultures, Super Anakin and 3 torrents, and Delta Obi 2x Arc. Turns out all but 1 of the lists ( maul + 5 ) was right around 199 pts.  

I really liked Delta Obi. 70 pts feels like a bargain to me. Its just so flexible with the config only and nothing else. Managing the charges was key but the mobility and flexibility to evade force modify on 2 was solid with enough hp to act like an X-Wing. These Jedi are insanely mobile to. They do so much themselves. Feels like a ship that will always be one wrong upgrade away from being busted. The dial is so flexible and the turn arounds simplistic. 

Super Delta Anakin was an absurd bully. Probably the easiest Ace I have ever played even in a small sample. Just reposition before and after everything its fine. Cant hang out in arc for long but that should always be true. Glad he is 110 points. 

Maul in both games with just Hate and Scimitar or no upgrades did work to. With Hate it felt like he had 2 or more focus tokens every turn. The double tap is real and I am super stoked the infiltrator has both a k and 2 sloops which are surprising. Decloaking big bases are a neat puzzle. Maul is several pts cheaper than I was expecting. 

Vultures....so much to say but for now ill just leave it at Range 3 + Kraken + networking + ESC is a powerful combination. I love the precise hunters and the other bullseye ships that get locks or calcs. Those are by far my favorite.  Networking is remarkable. 

Otherwise Greivous pilot ability is as badass as Graz and that makes me happy. Force difficult decisions on your opponent seems to be the CIS gameplay theme.

29 minutes ago, SnooSnarry said:

I have a feeling Dooku is the best Scimitar of the bunch. Played twice vs it last night and it was just obscene lol.

I agree.  I flew him last night with Scimitar + Grievous + Perceptive Copilot, and he was a beast.  Grievous is severely under-costed too.

30 minutes ago, SnooSnarry said:

I have a feeling Dooku is the best Scimitar of the bunch. Played twice vs it last night and it was just obscene lol.

I haven't built a Separatist list yet featuring Dooku piloting the Scimitar, but I'm trying to get something that makes sense together. 

Posted (edited)

Also, the tactical relay K2-B4 put a lot of hard choices on my opponent.  While Kraken is more efficient, K2 will keep your ships alive longer and make at least 1 energy shell casing hit harder.

Image result for k2-b4 xwing

Edited by RunnerAZ
added pic

8 minutes ago, RunnerAZ said:

Also, the tactical relay K2-B4 put a lot of hard choices on my opponent.  While Kraken is more efficient, K2 will keep your ships alive longer and make at least 1 energy shell casing hit harder.

Image result for k2-b4 xwing

That relay and this guy below allows it to also work on any of the Infiltrators. 

swz31_dfs-311.png

That's one of the few places I'm looking to use K2B4. Allowing added evades for the Infiltrator pilot I want to stay alive longer on top of any Vultures in the list not using Discord Missiles or ESCs since those naturally do better with Kraken. 

Example test build: Maulicious