SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

14 minutes ago, baranidlo said:

I think you might have missed the beginning of the dispute, which was about how much selecting your maneuver on a dial mattered in 1.0 and how much it matters in 2.0.

So it's not about the quality of a ship dials, but about the maneuver selection process and how much or little strategy is behind it..

Sorry than. It drew my attention and I misinterpreted the intent. 

Myabe because the rest of the discussions isn't very interesting to me :)

Scum sucking in Hyperspace is interesting! ;)

3 hours ago, baranidlo said:

It's pretty inaccurate and unfair to equate "1.0" = "Miranda and Ghost/Fenn".

The game had 6 years of life and there were plenty of lists where dials mattered a lot, even at the end of it's lifecycle.

Also, here's as unpopular opinion - dials matter much less in 2.0 than hype people here are willing to accept.

Supernaturals, Rebel bricks with "1 forward to victory", large base boosts, wide arcs, Proton Torps alphas, etc are all still a thing, you know..

Ok.

5 hours ago, baranidlo said:

The game had 6 years of life and there were plenty of lists where dials mattered a lot, even at the end of it's lifecycle.

Also, here's as unpopular opinion - dials matter much less in 2.0 than hype people here are willing to accept.

Supernaturals, Rebel bricks with "1 forward to victory", large base boosts, wide arcs, Proton Torps alphas, etc are all still a thing, you know..

1) SNR is priced high enough that you are paying a hefty cost to have a dial that doesn't matter. There are exactly 2 ships in the game that are even candidates to take SNR and even then I am not sure if it is worth it unless you are doing a 2 ship list (which is not overpowering right now).

2) "1 forward to victory" is a meme as much as a strategy. If I have a rebel player who just 1 forwards, that makes the game really easy.

3) If only large bases were easy to block and had to pay a premium to not get stressed.

4) Wide arcs: Sure?

5) If only range control was a thing...

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

) "1 forward to victory" is a meme as much as a strategy. If I have a rebel player who just 1 forwards, that makes the game really easy.

Truth.  I just spent a weekend flying what might be called a "1-straight to victory" list and it's just not a thing you can do and win.  If anything, my positioning, tempo, range bands, angles, and arcs felt *more* important than flying aces.  With the aces, you wait and see where the opponent goes, then you can do your move and move 1-2 times more if you need to get the right engagement.  Y-wings and U-wings, on the our hand...you get punished hard for landing in the wrong place.

Edited by Ablazoned

5 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Truth.  I just spent a weekend what might be called a "1-straight to victory" list and it's just not a thing you can do and win.  If anything, my positioning, tempo, range bands, angles, and arcs felt *more* important than flying aces.  With the aces, you wait and see where the opponent goes, then you can do your move and move 1-2 times more if you need to get the right engagement.  Y-wings and U-wings, on the our hand...you get punished hard for landing in the wrong place.

I mean for the first turn or so the 1 forward is correct just because fortressing is bad. But once you have a good idea where you want to (or will be forced to) engage, then you mix it up. One of the reasons why I like to mix X-Wings and Y-Wings is that you can use the boost on the X-Wing to setup/cover a flank and then easily get back into formation. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

I mean for the first turn or so the 1 forward is correct just because fortressing is bad. But

I disagree.  Sometimes stalling can be good...but other times not.  Also, you can *definitely* fortress for one turn.

6 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

I disagree.  Sometimes stalling can be good...but other times not.  Also, you can *definitely* fortress for one turn.

Yeah fair enough - I just shy away from fortressing with swarms, but that is a personal choice. Which probably flies in the face of my strategy to play it cool until I see which way they commit, but I usually am able to keep both flanks open until it is go time. Have the generics get native barrel roll really helps with that.

6 hours ago, baranidlo said:

Dengaroo, Palp Aces, Palp Defenders, triple jumps, FSR, etc. all had very little daylight between "moves that weren't incredibly stupid" and "best available move".

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

The last year of 1.0 was a bad game and should feel bad. 

Yeah I hardly ever touched the Ghost in 1e, never Kanan!Fenn. But I felt a little dirty when I started to try it in 2.0.

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

IMHO the 2e "1 Forward To Victory" meme-squad is 5x SFs (I like Optics).  You'll need to dial in other stuff to get past a scrum sometimes, but 1-forward once they're in your rear arc? *chef kiss*

Ahem.  I use the 1 bank and 5 fwd quite a bit.  Thank you very much.  :P

iGjFZ9R.jpg

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah I hardly ever touched the Ghost in 1e, never Kanan!Fenn. But I felt a little dirty when I started to try it in 2.0.

when I get back to Extended, I want to see how awful Hate-Kanan is to play against, but I'm in no rush...

2 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

when I get back to Extended, I want to see how awful Hate-Kanan is to play against, but I'm in no rush...

Sadly, his ability doesn't work on himself! Sheeeeeeeiiiiit, they'll just shoot at the centerpiece first! :(

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Is @Brunas alive?

He's part of the Judges panel working on the consolidated TO rulings that the TOs are going to be putting out. He might be crashed out or at work atm.

Edited by Hiemfire

23 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Is @Brunas alive?

19 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

He's part of the Judges panel working on the consolidated TO rulings that the TOs are going to be putting out. He might be crashed out or at work atm.

I assume there's also a chance he crashed from Krayt Cup data compiling as well. It seemed he took a break from doing so right after Krayt Cup and would get to it later. Later seems like it could've been very recently along with the few Hyperspace Trials that occurred this weekend. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, player3010587 said:

Sadly, his ability doesn't work on himself! Sheeeeeeeiiiiit, they'll just shoot at the centerpiece first! :(

if they want to shoot my reinforced Ghost while Biggs is loitering nearby, I'm okay with that.

Edited by skotothalamos

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, skotothalamos said:

Yeah, I’m sure I tried harder than most to get him to work. Unfortunately the only use for those 4 force charges is on attacks, unless the enemy shoots your wingman first. Even with range control, you get one round of Kanan!depowered attacks from the enemy, then they’re free to slaughter the i3 Ghost. Any good opponent will take him out, as you’re spending a minimum of 121(?) points on him. Just not worth it, unfortunately.

Edit: Hm, never tried Biggs, I guess. Still stupid expensive for a party trick, but maybe there’s some merit there.

Edited by SpiderMana

41 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

Might as well throw in a GNK for the ultimate meme then!

I'm ready!

Kanan Jarrus (84)    
    Hate (3)    
    Dorsal Turret (2)    
    GNK "Gonk" Droid (10)    
    Maul (11)    
    Veteran Turret Gunner (6)    

Ship total: 116  Half Points: 58  Threshold: 7    

Biggs Darklighter (48)    
    R2 Astromech (4)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    

Ship total: 52  Half Points: 26  Threshold: 3    

Ezra Bridger (TIE Fighter) (32)    
Ship total: 32  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 2    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v6!s=200!62:204,,,137,32,48,,90,:;7:,2,,142:;14:,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=