SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Guys I would really love to share your enthusiasm, I've never felt as miserable while playing plastic space toys since the first appearance of the palpa ace. 

I don't like hyperspace because it makes dice variance even more important than what 2.0 hasn't already done. 

While it's not to the point manouvers don't matters, games with players with similar skill level are all about dice hotness and I despise it. 

I seriously hope it's just a matter of being orphan of my favourite game style (which was kiting with a large base ship or, as a second choice, 3 ships lists), but my view is pretty grim because it's not the grumpy&salty me seeing the game in a poor state, but it's a feeling most of the players I respect share

1 minute ago, Sunitsa said:

Guys I would really love to share your enthusiasm, I've never felt as miserable while playing plastic space toys since the first appearance of the palpa ace. 

I don't like hyperspace because it makes dice variance even more important than what 2.0 hasn't already done. 

While it's not to the point manouvers don't matters, games with players with similar skill level are all about dice hotness and I despise it. 

I seriously hope it's just a matter of being orphan of my favourite game style (which was kiting with a large base ship or, as a second choice, 3 ships lists), but my view is pretty grim because it's not the grumpy&salty me seeing the game in a poor state, but it's a feeling most of the players I respect share

I can't fault you for how you feel, but on the dice variance issue, I cannot say I agree.

I do hope though that your favorite style is viable (I mean that). I think new turrets are genuinely interesting ships, and wish them to be viable. 

As for the 3 ship lists... I suspect they're viable, but it depends on which three ships you want to play, and that playstyle comes with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

But boba +2, and Poe/lulo/X are genuinely quite strong lists, and that's simply two lists I'm immediately familiar with.

I know @catachanninja has been working on falcon builds, and Sara played a lando/wedge/luke list to great success (I *think* that was her 3 ships? I dunno, it had lando, and was on stream like 2 times whenever GSP gets the remaining videos up).

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I know @catachanninja has been working on falcon builds, and Sara played a lando/wedge/luke list to great success (I *think* that was her 3 ships? I dunno, it had lando, and was on stream like 2 times whenever GSP gets the remaining videos up).

Haigwood and Dion both played Lando/Luke/Wedge while Sara played Lando/Wedge/Norra. The Luke version's only upgrades are sfoils and Nien Nunb on Lando while the Norra version had plenty of room for upgrades of choice along with a varying bid amount depending on what you want. 

Edited by RStan

Ok, the previous one was the serious post, let's see if I can cosplay being a Krayt.

Of course you American trash like HS: you* have always been garbage at this game, who else would love more a dice game than someone who has never known how to beat the #tinyeuropeanmeta?!? 

How did I go?

*paul and Nathan don't count for the purpose of this post

1 minute ago, Sunitsa said:

Ok, the previous one was the serious post, let's see if I can cosplay being a Krayt.

Of course you American trash like HS: you* have always been garbage at this game, who else would love more a dice game than someone who has never known how to beat the #tinyeuropeanmeta?!? 

How did I go?

Oh ho! I assure you, Paul and Nathan count 😉

Well done, however!

11 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

How did I go?

We can tell you've had the exposure but not the practice  ❤️

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

Have I said recently how deeply amused I am by the catch-all nature this thread has become? I feel the need to go back and read the first few posts to remind myself that this isn't what I signed on for, and what the heck was I thinking signing on at all.

obligatory "GOTTEM!"

7 minutes ago, chervorlovesu said:

Rules thread now, can you use han to double dip into 3po crew? Has there been an official ruling? People in my local store are not sure. 

Was ruled yes at KC, i found it really underpowered, dont watch the streams. Han should just be able to set down an evade result and have 3p0 trigger. Much more fair

27 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

How do you see it as more of a dice game in Hyperspace than Extended? 

Just now, gennataos said:

Extended does have more stuff to get extra modifications to those dice. So, yeah... I understand what he's saying. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I see what he's saying there.

29 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Extended does have more stuff to get extra modifications to those dice. So, yeah... I understand what he's saying. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I see what he's saying there.

There are considerably less shenanigans available in Hyperspace, too, so I get it as well...I guess. 

I don’t know. When I see someone run a bunch of punishers and phantoms in Extended, then not like Hyperspace...well, yeah, duh. 

so I believe the dice variance actually ADDS additional skills to the game and makes maneuvering and action choices far more interesting! 

In 1.0 world where there are an overwhelming amount of mods it takes RISK out of the game, you make a move and you KNOW what’s going to happen. You make moves and know your safe or know your gonna punish someone hard. This create absolute RIGHT moves and WRONG moves. 

Also with more mods available you can actually be sloppier at the dial stage because you can spend your action repositioning because something is modding your dice. 

Risk not only creates excitement, it creates complexity

In 2.0 and especially hyperspace we are much lighter on mods and it adds a new skill to develop, RISK Management! Meaning now instead of correct moves there are reserved moves and aggressive moves and there are sometimes multiple positions for both of those points. The fact that fenn rau can just die at range 3 actually makes him a necessary arc dodge or get in range 1, and if you do want to take a shot with him but it’s gonna open you up to a range 3 shot, it’s a risk you have to choose to make and it’s not right or wrong, it’s a risk but it may be a move you need to make.

also without the dice mods your actions are sooooooo important, and likewise your dial stage is more interesting because you don’t want to reposition if you don’t have to. 

Dice give and take...for everyone!

it really helps a player comeback from a bad beginning if they can keep their mind on the game, maybe you made a bad move or you were screwed to dice variance early on in a game...you can come back because of that same variance and it makes the games stay interesting, in 1.0 so often a game could be over and the players are going through the motions, now in 2.0 and hyperspace there is far more incentive to stay in the game, it’s much easier to lose the lead if you start making poor choices.

idk, just wanted to say that even though a player could play a good game and lose, I feel the game is far more nuanced then just that...even in life good choices don’t always pay off and I have not walked away from a game I couldn’t learn from, I’m not on a chess forum for a reason

I agree with the above. 1.0's hyper modified dice made it so games were won at listbuilding instead of at the table. The lack of consistent access to mods makes 2.0 much more skill based. You can't just bank on Palp or Low or whoever saving your butt when you screw up. The secret is to not screw up and have dice matter in the first place. That's one of the biggest growing pains I'm seeing in switching to 2.0. I'm still struggling with it, but I think its better for the game overall.

26 minutes ago, TheOz said:

TLDR

Not enough cursin' and disrespectin' to be worth the readin'

Actually, interesting take on the right move/wrong move changing to conservative/aggressive... I like that.

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

As for the 3 ship lists... I suspect they're viable, but it depends on which three ships you want to play, and that playstyle comes with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

But boba +2, and Poe/lulo/X are genuinely quite strong lists, and that's simply two lists I'm immediately familiar with.

I'm not sure about Boba since I didn't try nor played against it, but I'm not sold at all about Poe/Lulo/x. It's not that's bad, but just that I don't see it as being good enough to deal with the rebel goodstuff lists that plagues my meta

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

Oh ho! I assure you, Paul and Nathan count 😉

They definitely do.

Paul 3 World Championships were the best testimony of how little variance mattered in 1.0 and Nathan is probably the best player I've ever watch playing in a stream.

You others suck thought :P

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Have I said recently how deeply amused I am by the catch-all nature this thread has become? I feel the need to go back and read the first few posts to remind myself that this isn't what I signed on for, and what the heck was I thinking signing on at all.

This thread for me is basically a forum on his own, one with black jack, hookers and players who actually play the game at high level.

I can usually find good insights and decent memes here

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I don't, I just didn't play enough post point change extended games to know if it's a 2.0 general problem or it's just pre new factions HS that don't appeal me.

I fear it's the former...

19 minutes ago, TheOz said:

so I believe the dice variance actually ADDS additional skills to the game and makes maneuvering and action choices far more interesting! 

In 1.0 world where there are an overwhelming amount of mods it takes RISK out of the game, you make a move and you KNOW what’s going to happen. You make moves and know your safe or know your gonna punish someone hard. This create absolute RIGHT moves and WRONG moves. 

Also with more mods available you can actually be sloppier at the dial stage because you can spend your action repositioning because something is modding your dice. 

Risk not only creates excitement, it creates complexity

In 2.0 and especially hyperspace we are much lighter on mods and it adds a new skill to develop, RISK Management! Meaning now instead of correct moves there are reserved moves and aggressive moves and there are sometimes multiple positions for both of those points. The fact that fenn rau can just die at range 3 actually makes him a necessary arc dodge or get in range 1, and if you do want to take a shot with him but it’s gonna open you up to a range 3 shot, it’s a risk you have to choose to make and it’s not right or wrong, it’s a risk but it may be a move you need to make.

also without the dice mods your actions are sooooooo important, and likewise your dial stage is more interesting because you don’t want to reposition if you don’t have to. 

Dice give and take...for everyone!

it really helps a player comeback from a bad beginning if they can keep their mind on the game, maybe you made a bad move or you were screwed to dice variance early on in a game...you can come back because of that same variance and it makes the games stay interesting, in 1.0 so often a game could be over and the players are going through the motions, now in 2.0 and hyperspace there is far more incentive to stay in the game, it’s much easier to lose the lead if you start making poor choices.

idk, just wanted to say that even though a player could play a good game and lose, I feel the game is far more nuanced then just that...even in life good choices don’t always pay off and I have not walked away from a game I couldn’t learn from, I’m not on a chess forum for a reason

I don't agree with a single word and I think that pretty much summarize why I despise second edition xwing.

First edition had variance, it wasn't chess, it's just that usually wasn't so important.