SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

There were two clutch moments in that game, one was initial torp salvo (i got off two torps for free) - 1 hit with TL from wedge on lulo (evaded)  and 2nd was when 1hp lulo got shot r1 from wedge and r3 from luke (full mods) and it all bounced 😛 then it was Luke that had to spend 2nd torps on Lulo, which set up entire late game with Luke chasing 1hp awing trying to stay away from his 2 friends 😛 

Edited by kenoslaw

15 minutes ago, viedit said:

That's what I like about mixing L'ulo in with three T70's.  He's worth a lot less than them but always draws the aggro.  If he can roll in and drop 4 hits into something and takes half damage (or dies) I'm ok with that trade most of the time.  He's only 1/5 of my list in points.  Then the T70's can take a bit more aggressive moves and save their mods for offense.

Sabacc does a very similar thing and is one of my favorite ships in the game for that reason. Usually closer to 1/4th than 1/5th though. People give up good positioning just to kill Sabacc or Wampa or even Vermiel. 

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Curious to see the Top 50 Tournament list selection. I think that could be the best representation of what the format actually has to offer.

Has to offer, or will become the meta?  The former sounds reasonable, the latter sounds like giving a lot of credit to people who were good with 1.0 broken stuff.

1 hour ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

If Poe just becomes dominant, I will be tempted to legit take my Han + Luke Gunner squad and dumpster it. 

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

I stand by my statement that poe ends up being a liability if the average a-wing count increases.

I don't believe either of you.  ;)

1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Has to offer, or will become the meta?  The former sounds reasonable, the latter sounds like giving a lot of credit to people who were good with 1.0 broken stuff.

More meant that it didnt have the bid mechanics of the team format I guess?

13 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Gennataos gets it.

But the former makes sense.

1 hour ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

You are absolutely correct. The best Resistance squad IMO is either 5A or 4A + Jess.

I'm a fan of the Jess variant as well, but I don't hear much talk about it. I wonder the top A-swarm players think...

9 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I don't believe either of you.  ;)

Poe can't arc dodge when I get perfect knowledge arc rotate. And he has a hard time doing lasting dmg against 3PO/R2 BS. 

Range 1 focus lock on Han from Poe does 2.4 dmg and I regen 1. The return shot does 1.6 dmg. And that is if Poe is doing Max dmg and Han is spending no tokens at all on offense.

If Poe saves his focus for defense, the trade becomes 1.9 dmg to 1.1 on Poe with a tokenless for offense Han. Han gets even one calc/force token for offense and his dmg goes up to 1.8. Perfect knowledge Poe just doesn't trade well with Phat Han.

6 hours ago, gennataos said:

That kind of statement feels like you're playing a different game than I am.  Like, you're jousting a ton.

6 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I'm going to have to agree with Boom here - maybe you're running into a lot of equal jousting lists (it sounds like you're playing a jousting list).

I know my team's games at KC didn't feel like that, and I can sort of speak for Paul too a bit (we debriefed some after the team swiss).

Maneuvering felt like the most important part of the game all weekend, win or lose.

I'm actually playing mostly rebel Han:(

I want to try Luke gunner to see if the freedom of movement he provides might help, but frankly I'm more prone to just give up and embrace the joust.

Obviously manouvers still count something, but I'm not seeing anymore why I should worry so much about arcdodging when more often than not everything it's on the reddies more than ever. If I arcdodge everything just to "waste" the first two turns of shooting because they are cold and then the next turn my 120+ points ship deal 1 damage only to see a couple of random shots halfing it without even really trying, I'd rather play a 4 ship list and joust.

In my experience the only arcdodging that matters is  not having your Wedge/Fenn/Vader engage your opponent whole list the first turn of combat.

I might be too grumpy and even a bit salty, but so far second edition, and hyperspace in particular, just seem a dice ****fest to me

3 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I'm actually playing mostly rebel Han:(

I want to try Luke gunner to see if the freedom of movement he provides might help, but frankly I'm more prone to just give up and embrace the joust.

Obviously manouvers still count something, but I'm not seeing anymore why I should worry so much about arcdodging when more often than not everything it's on the reddies more than ever. If I arcdodge everything just to "waste" the first two turns of shooting because they are cold and then the next turn my 120+ points ship deal 1 damage only to see a couple of random shots halfing it without even really trying, I'd rather play a 4 ship list and joust.

In my experience the only arcdodging that matters is  not having your Wedge/Fenn/Vader engage your opponent whole list the first turn of combat.

I might be too grumpy and even a bit salty, but so far second edition, and hyperspace in particular, just seem a dice ****fest to me

That actually explains it.

i was trying luke and han, and there were many games I lost because one of my two attacks just didn’t hit.

thatll happen when there’s so few opportunities to attack :-/. I’m off that train for now, especially with ship count going up.

14 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

That actually explains it.

i was trying luke and han, and there were many games I lost because one of my two attacks just didn’t hit.

thatll happen when there’s so few opportunities to attack :-/. I’m off that train for now, especially with ship count going up.

So I think that if you are going Fat Han, this is IMO the correct one:

Han Luke

(82) Han Solo [Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(2) Trick Shot
(8) R2-D2
(8) C-3PO
(7) Engine Upgrade
(26) Luke Skywalker

(52) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(4) R2 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(6) Afterburners
(2) Predator

Total points: 197

I know that Predator is meh, so that could change, but the rest I really think is correct. I think I win one more game over the weekend if I had that Wedge. If the meta ship numbers go down to avoid the swarms, I will probably go back to that.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Up the Sentry to a Surveyor, Crack on the Surveyor and Seevor, Trick on Koshka and Rigged on the Bounty Hunter?

The conversation has moved on, but I am goin a bit weirder. Boba Fett crew and a seismic on Koshka, and Beckett on the bounty hunter. Now that trip ups are gone, people aren’t expecting the turn one engage again. 

Edit: Yours is probably better. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

8 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

The conversation has moved on, but I am goin a bit weirder. Boba Fett crew and a seismic on Koshka, and Beckett on the bounty hunter. Now that trip ups are gone, people aren’t expecting the turn one engage again. 

Hit a Nym/Sixa (plus Joy) list that used Fett crew and Beckett. Very gimmicky “I bomb your deployment zone turn 1” type of list.  Very 1.0 type jank but it didn’t hold up to mistakes well

3 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Hit a Nym/Sixa (plus Joy) list that used Fett crew and Beckett. Very gimmicky “I bomb your deployment zone turn 1” type of list.  Very 1.0 type jank but it didn’t hold up to mistakes well

I’ve been setting up Koshka with an opening 1v1 or charge in and block things up/get behind. With Beckett you can make them 50/50 call it on the first round. I can usually tell by the second, worst case third time setting dials if I’ll win it. 

Its pretty fun, and I’m pretty convinced that Boba was good because firesprays are really good, but we will see if I can prove it. 

17 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

So I think that if you are going Fat Han, this is IMO the correct one:

Han Luke

(82) Han Solo [Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(2) Trick Shot
(8) R2-D2
(8) C-3PO
(7) Engine Upgrade
(26) Luke Skywalker

(52) Wedge Antilles [T-65 X-wing]
(4) R2 Astromech
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(6) Afterburners
(2) Predator

Total points: 197

I know that Predator is meh, so that could change, but the rest I really think is correct. I think I win one more game over the weekend if I had that Wedge. If the meta ship numbers go down to avoid the swarms, I will probably go back to that.

I agree with you it's probably the best Han Wedge version out there. If I want to keep hating myself and the game this is what I would play

Predator is an underrated talent, if your Wedge isn't running protons nor you want to keep at r1 of something to use Swarm Tactics it's his best talent choice. It's also good on Poe

1 hour ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Faced off against 6 Crack happy A-wings at Krayt Cup, with my dumpster fire list (0-5). Came down to Kylo arc dodging 5 of the Zippos for most of the match. Ended up calling it early for lunch.

...not exactly sure why, but this just cracked me up. Thanks @FlyingAnchors, it fits my today man, it so fits.

3 hours ago, viedit said:

Neither one is ideal.  But if you have a chance on Vader early you bite on him since he starts the damage avalanche that spins up everyone else's abilities.  But usually Vermeil get's burned down first because he's the softest and biggest base to catch in arc.  Did he get paired to any 5 A-wing lists over the weekend?  I've done some testing with the "Good Stuff" vs some very good players and the A-wings gave the list fits.  Especially if they have a pilot advantage over everyone but Vader.

The thing is that if you fire on Vader, you're firing on the toughest thing in the list.  While he is the end game, the rest if that stuff hits really hard, and there are definitely times I'd be happy to accept shots on Vader to preserve the other stuff a little.  

39 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

if your Wedge isn't running protons

Is Luke gunner really good enough to justify not running torps on Wedge? I get it's a pretty nasty counter to Poe/Vader but then so is Wedge/Han bidding higher, which you also get on top of the torps by not running Luke

9 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

The thing is that if you fire on Vader, you're firing on the toughest thing in the list.  While he is the end game, the rest if that stuff hits really hard, and there are definitely times I'd be happy to accept shots on Vader to preserve the other stuff a little.  

I guess it depends on what list you are running and how well you can conserve MOV. The 5 sf list I had was pretty tanky and could get out of it's own way with that 5fwd. Pretty much every game I had went to time and I had usually 2 sf on the board, if not three in various states of damage. Vader is a point tank and if you half him he's either disengaging and running or getting really aggressive to try and murder something. Half of Vader is almost a full S/F. 

7 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

Many didn't believe me, except the t70 players that encountered 4+ a-wings.

They believe.

I was going to start down the path of belief with my own A-wing swarm tonight, but our FLGS was out of A-Wings. Sad. 

7 hours ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Poe can't arc dodge when I get perfect knowledge arc rotate. And he has a hard time doing lasting dmg against 3PO/R2 BS. 

Range 1 focus lock on Han from Poe does 2.4 dmg and I regen 1. The return shot does 1.6 dmg. And that is if Poe is doing Max dmg and Han is spending no tokens at all on offense.

If Poe saves his focus for defense, the trade becomes 1.9 dmg to 1.1 on Poe with a tokenless for offense Han. Han gets even one calc/force token for offense and his dmg goes up to 1.8. Perfect knowledge Poe just doesn't trade well with Phat Han.

I do have other ships in the list.