SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

46 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Do ya know who Poe hates to see the worst?

Midnight and Quickdraw. 

They're just straight insulting to his initiative dominance. 

Plus...those double sixes just laugh at the Resistance A-Wing aces. 

I've run the deep-bid Res aces...and promptly regretted it the moment I faced a 200pt FO aces list. 

Turns out double 5s with an awesome bid can't do anything about double 6s. 

A daaaaaank FO list that has answers to the Resistance is Tavson, Midnight, Scorch, and Quickdraw. If you want to go ham on the upgrades, replace Quickdraw with Longshot.

Edited by player3010587

7 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

A daaaaaank FO list that has answers to the Resistance is Tavson, Midnight, Scorch, and Quickdraw. If you want to go ham on the upgrades, replace Quickdraw with Longshot.

Look at the lists being made nowadays: The only lists seen to fight Aces are Other Aces.

Rebel Beef is a good thing for the game, and we would benefit if other factions had their own viable non-formation jousting lists as well: It would potentially provide a counter to the influx of 'Gotta move last' Trip Ace lists that we will see with the death of Tripsilon, as well as make different types of Joust list exist.

8 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Look at the lists being made nowadays: The only lists seen to fight Aces are Other Aces.

Rebel Beef is a good thing for the game, and we would benefit if other factions had their own viable non-formation jousting lists as well: It would potentially provide a counter to the influx of 'Gotta move last' Trip Ace lists that we will see with the death of Tripsilon, as well as make different types of Joust list exist.

Honestly...

I don't personally think the aces archetype, even in Resistance, is the actual best overall squad right now. 

-- let me rephrase that --

I don't think they're in a great spot AT ALL in terms of the overall meta. They just can't out-hit and out-survive what 5Y, 5Boat, and Selfless Rebs can dish out... The issue is in representation

Rebel Beef and TIE swarms haven't come fully into their own yet (including Mining Guild), and I think once enough aces players get trounces by 5Y, etc, they'll think twice about their three aces. 

I'm a Resistance player, pretty exclusively, with a touch of Rebels since before Res dropped, and I feel like they're just in a playground funk waiting to get a wake-up call of real life in the next couple months.

Edited by Bucknife

36 minutes ago, Makaze said:

image.png.64dd8049cb582bd5ee2e9c8f2cdeb32e.png

Incorrect grammar is no joking matter. Millions of people die from it every day.

Seriously though, I didn't get that it was a joke, so my bad. I appreciate your subversive dig at pretentious correcting (And did you sucker me into doing just that? If so, well played.).  But maybe someone will learn something of value from this thread today!

Edited by FranquesEnbiens

55 minutes ago, FranquesEnbiens said:

image.png.5ded7a1b982e3937c19f9e9d594b1483.png

Nope, it would be "Who is ready for the Leia Poe Meta?" Who is used as a subject, whom is used as the object of a verb or preposition. The easy tip for this is to substitute he/she or him/her. He/she = who; him/her = whom.

Her is ready for the Leia Poe Meta? (incorrect, so not "whom")

She is ready for the Leia Poe Meta? (correct)

source.gif

11 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Honestly...

I don't personally think the aces archetype, even in Resistance, is the actual best overall squad right now. 

-- let me rephrase that --

I don't think they're in a great spot AT ALL in terms of the overall meta. They just can't out-hit and out-survive what 5Y, 5Boat, and Selfless Rebs can dish out... The issue is in representation

Rebel Beef and TIE swarms haven't come fully into their own yet (including Mining Guild), and I think once enough aces players get trounces by 5Y, etc, they'll think twice about their three aces. 

I'm a Resistance player, pretty exclusively, with a touch of Rebels since before Res dropped, and I feel like they're just in a playground funk waiting to get a wake-up call of real life in the next couple months.

Unironically, why are you in-arc of multiple Y-wings at range 1-2?

There need to be jousting squads that, when allowed to trade shots, devour aces, because aces can choose to not trade shots very easily.

30 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

I've been running a lot of Tavson, QD, Scorch, Backdraft lately and having a lot of success.  

20 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

I've been running a lot of Tavson, QD, Scorch, Backdraft lately and having a lot of success.  

Me too, I also have liked switching backdraft for muse and a couple upgrades, I find backdraft good but he still shoots 2 dice a lot and opening up tavsons dial really helps keep that threat in the game

Edited by TheOz

1 minute ago, TheOz said:

Me too, I also have liked switching backdraft for muse and a couple upgrades, I find backdraft good but he still shoots 2 dice a lot and opening up tavsons dial really helps keep that threat in the game

I'll have to give that a try...  I had been thinking about dropping tavson down to SBP but tavson is so good.  

54 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Unironically, why are you in-arc of multiple Y-wings at range 1-2?

There need to be jousting squads that, when allowed to trade shots, devour aces, because aces can choose to not trade shots very easily.

Totally fair. 

I think the SuperAce+generics archetype is probably the best middle ground right now. 

I'm starting to wonder if two-ship aces (like Rey+Poe) will ever be viable in 2.0, with the floor finally balanced out much better for generic jousting. 

3 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I'm starting to wonder if two-ship aces (like Rey+Poe) will ever be viable in 2.0, with the floor finally balanced out much better for generic jousting. 

There will almost certainly come a time in the future when they are exceptionally viable, at least for 6 months (or less given today's swift update)

16 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Totally fair. 

I think the SuperAce+generics archetype is probably the best middle ground right now. 

i think two ship is exceptionally viable with the right ships and in the hands of a good player. I have a local with a two ship list that feels like it has good legs against all the hyper swarms I've been building.

23 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I'm starting to wonder if two-ship aces (like Rey+Poe) will ever be viable in 2.0,

I kinda hope 2 ship lists are never more than average tier at best. 

Luke + Han and Kylo + Tavson are both ridiculously good but also situational lists.  

I have no interest in a version of the game where they are part of the S-Tier and have good matchups against the field.

They should feel sub-optimal or like a matchup gamble type thing. They are already in a kind of "if i dont see XYZ matchup i should win every game" territory. 

For a 2 ship list to operate reliably above that level something about one or both is usually agency burglary.

Edited by Boom Owl

3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I have no interest in a version of the game where they are part of the S-Tier and have good matchups against the field.

For a 2 ship list to operate reliably above that level something about one or both is usually agency burglary.

I agree. Generally, 2-ships that can dominate 8 feels bad.

I just wonder if it's even in the docket for ffg to make sure that something like Rey+Poe SHOULD even be a serious contender at a large tournament.

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Luke + Han and Kylo + Tavson are both ridiculously good but also situational lists.  

They should feel sub-optimal or like a matchup gamble type thing. They are already in a kind of "if i dont see XYZ matchup i should win every game" territory. 

2 ship lists could exist on a slider. For example, you can have Luke + Han, but better, and still not have it God-tier. From experience, I will say that 2 ship lists (although they can have positive matchups) are very unforgiving. They can be pretty good and in some cases have an enormous skill-ceiling, but there is not much room for error. If a good player can go undefeated across an entire Hyperspace Trial with a 2 ship list, I can be fine with that, as that alone does not indicate agency burglary.

9 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I just wonder if it's even in the docket for ffg to make sure that something like Rey+Poe SHOULD even be a serious contender at a large tournament.

I hope not. I dont see why that would ever be a design goal. 

49 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I feel personally attacked.

25 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

If a good player can go undefeated across an entire Hyperspace Trial with a 2 ship list, I can be fine with that, as that alone does not indicate agency burglary.

Historically it kind of does though as 2 ship lists have generally won through some combination of fat, regen, token stacking, or other defensive shenanigan to the point that without more than half a list firing at them they were effectively immune to damage