SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

9 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

How did it go today?

Eh? Well, if you must know... first I woke up, realized I’d over slept. This is bad as it means my commute is longer. The office was dull, made more so with the anticipation of the Open tomorrow. I did buy some beer on the way home, which I’m now enjoying while watching bad MST3K.

14 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Eh? Well, if you must know... first I woke up, realized I’d over slept. This is bad as it means my commute is longer. The office was dull, made more so with the anticipation of the Open tomorrow. I did buy some beer on the way home, which I’m now enjoying while watching bad MST3K.

The System Open is tomorrow, isn't it...

2 hours ago, gennataos said:

Stress is inherently a negative affect. 

While its not nearly as bad in 2E, 1E Dengaroo was a shining, disgusting example of how not all lists are negatively affected by Stress equally.

You don't see as much ignoring of the Stress mechanic now as we did back then, but even still, not everyone is affected equally today, and many lists can mitigate its effects. Sloane helps prevent that, and makes sure Stress, and the decision making process around it still matters.

Well, unless you invest the shots to take her off the board, at least. Which, be my guest...

3 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Sloane helps prevent that, and makes sure Stress, and the decision making process around it still matters.

By punishing any ship that destroys one of her squad mates who happen to be in range 3 of her, in most cases for 2 consecutive turns, by forcing their maneuvers to be more predictable, rendering them easier to kill, and locking out actions on most ships. This is on top of the "don't be stressed if you're going to end up in arc range 0-3" of one of her little ducklings... She turns it from something that matters into a razor wire enema.

4 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Death Troopers has a similar effect of punishing people who over stress... but we focus on Sloane...

...because it's easy, and nearly automatic...

(and only 4 points more than DT)

And not locked to range 0-1

Edited by Hiemfire

I played triple ups against the vennie list last night. Felt just like 1.0 just with clunkier mechanics. 

Does Sloane feel like that too? Is that why @Brunas you want to know how people feel about the card? It's got a similar flair to 1.0 crew just with a really wordy passive mod ability. 

37 minutes ago, chervorlovesu said:

I played triple ups against the vennie list last night. Felt just like 1.0 just with clunkier mechanics. 

Does Sloane feel like that too? Is that why @Brunas you want to know how people feel about the card? It's got a similar flair to 1.0 crew just with a really wordy passive mod ability. 

It's just really divisive - not something that I think is out of place (even if it were in hyperspace, especially with no lambda) but everyone has strong feelings about.

23 minutes ago, Brunas said:

It's just really divisive - not something that I think is out of place (even if it were in hyperspace, especially with no lambda) but everyone has strong feelings about.

I don't formally have a top 5 things I hate in extended, but I bet it wouldn't crack my top 5, and I have heavy irritations from it.

Imo, Sloane is a touch undercosted, should've been limited to range 2 and either not giving stress rerolls or not handing out 2 of the buggers. These are the EXTRA that push her into npe.

But still, I don't mind playing against her. Every opposing squad is a puzzle that'll chew you up if you don't attempt to find a solution to it. Sloane is a trickier puzzle than most but still solvable with whatever tools you have to hand.

Is Extended being a dumpster fire a meme now? Because I see it a lot in here but find very little evidence in the wild. I kinda love it.

53 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Is Extended being a dumpster fire a meme now? Because I see it a lot in here but find very little evidence in the wild. I kinda love it.

Yeah it’s kid of hilarious. I honestly find Hyperspace far superior, because all factions have viable options. 

I think there is a correlation between statements like that, and how much you like Resistance and Scum.

3 hours ago, millertime059 said:

Yeah it’s kid of hilarious. I honestly find Hyperspace far superior, because all factions have viable options. 

I think there is a correlation between statements like that, and how much you like Resistance and Scum.

Possibly fair, my experience doesn't cover everything. I just really enjoy both, I like the freedom and madness of Extended and I like the restriction and sensibility of HS. I've talked to very few people IRL that don't.

But then I've never been particularly bothered about being hammered by the odd meta list in my travels. When I have been in 2.0, it's felt like it was because I made amateur decisions against a superior player. It's been an interesting challenge, facing these things with my jank of choice, rather than an impossible one.

I'm really an Imperial, and I can't use Rex, Ryad, Echo or Kestal in HS.... so that kinda flavours my opinion. But I love flying multiple Fangs as well, so HS is also fine by me. WhisperVaderSloaneRedlineProtorpAlphaBrocketspamScumcontrol is not my jam at all, so points changes have been very positive in Extended, for me. 

My only real 2.0 dislike is lists that chug fwd in a block and simply joust with a ton of mods and dice. I find it boring to play against and a puzzle that you either solve in the 1st couple of turns or not at all. Bam, game over, let's just play this out then.

That style exists in HS and Extended, so the chances of my own personal NPE occurring in either format is not that different. Although Extended did up the odds a little, pre update. Too much HS going on recently to really judge.