Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Speaking of Yoloing, I should just fly whatever jousts the best and is easy to fly. Since everyone loves jousting with everything, may as well take the best jousting list and out yolo everyone. 

Have you heard of quad juke phantoms?

It jousts.  Just really fancily.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had taken a picture of the first combat engagement of a quad phantom mirror match I had.  I think my opponent thought I was going to continue to play the fortress game.  I had initiative and one turn I decloaked them all into a straight line forward towards him.  And you could just see his face go "OH".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunas said:

Also, looking at the first run of dice rolling, here were my results:

[numbers]

I'll save you a step and give the expected values too:

[more numbers]

This is like yelling into the wind, but these are early results.  There's no conclusions to draw yet.  With how easy it is to generate effectively unlimited data, I intend on getting significantly more before bothering to use my brain.

Wouldn't a more valid test be found in building a complicated Rube Goldberg machine out of LEGO to roll the dice while you run an image recognition app to record the results? Ideally, the experiment should be run on a table, on an official mat, on a SOS mat (because, reasons), and on third party mats. All the various dice types should also be tested this way, obviously.

My sparklies were magical that first year. Then they ran out of it and became just normal dice. They still sparkle, but I know it's a lie now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunas said:

Kind of.  The crits are (way) off, the others less so.  Somebody better at statistics could tell you if it's by a significant amount though, I was going to worry about all that once it finishes running for another 20 hours or so today.

My first level analysis makes it look like the observed crit value was ~2% different from theoretical, which is, to me, not way off.  I expect imperfections in the dice may swing them by as much as the app in real life.  I also suspect game to game random variation (>>2%) is large enough to obscure effects of App innacuracy in noise.  

Then again, I'm a biologist, and we tend to look at the big variable, because all our data is so incredibly noisy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Wouldn't a more valid test be found in building a complicated Rube Goldberg machine out of LEGO to roll the dice while you run an image recognition app to record the results? Ideally, the experiment should be run on a table, on an official mat, on a SOS mat (because, reasons), and on third party mats. All the various dice types should also be tested this way, obviously.

My sparklies were magical that first year. Then they ran out of it and became just normal dice. They still sparkle, but I know it's a lie now.

I mean, yes, but that would be testing physical dice.  The dice app appears to actually have a physics engine, which is the worst possible way to get actual random results.

There's a chance it's right on accident, but I'm quite suspect.

 

Physical dice testing is significantly harder than leaving a script running on my PC running an android emulator overnight, haha.  Also, what happens if the physical dice are wrong?  It's much easier to say "no dice app" than "everyone go make a dice rolling machine and take the best dice".  Some doors are better left closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunas said:

I mean, yes, but that would be testing physical dice.  The dice app appears to actually have a physics engine, which is the worst possible way to get actual random results.

There's a chance it's right on accident, but I'm quite suspect.

 

Physical dice testing is significantly harder than leaving a script running on my PC running an android emulator overnight, haha.  Also, what happens if the physical dice are wrong?  It's much easier to say "no dice app" than "everyone go make a dice rolling machine and take the best dice".  Some doors are better left closed.

I know a guy that can build this machine, easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I know a guy that can build this machine, easy.

Yeah, there's nothing too difficult about it in theory.  Still, nothing good comes from the knowledge it would uncover.

 

Quote

When you see something that is technically sweet, you go ahead and do it and you argue about what to do about it only after you have had your technical success. That is the way it was with the dice roller.

J. Robert Oppenheimer, ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

I'm super pro sharing dice.

Honestly sharing components is the best solution to a variety of potential problems and poor behavior. I'm sort of surprised it's not something that is required at high level events to proactively avoid issues.

Edited by punkUser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, punkUser said:

Honestly sharing components is the best solution to any variety of problems. I'm sort of surprised it's not something that is proactively required to avoid issues in the rules at high level events.

FFG hasn’t been entirely consistent, but they have required to before.

 

Template sharing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

I drilled some FFG dice- They are not well cured.

I always at tournaments insist on sharing dice as a result.

1.0 or 2.0 dice? I wonder if the dice have gotten better over the years.

I've heard about the poor curing and air bubbles from other people who were curious enough to cut open the dice. 

Edited by Kieransi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who buys into the fact of swapping out dice?

I'm firmly in the camp of it is not controllable, so I won't think about it too much. And all I bring to the table is the maximum amount of red and green dice my list can roll, so normally 4 red 5 green. Seeing people change them out after every roll confuses me. Also seeing people try to 'train' their dice by leaving them rest on crits/evades is hilarious.

Then the next question, who records every dice roll in practice games to analyse if they were average or not? I'm not sure whether this would be a help or a hindrance to my practice, becomes easy to write off a result due to 'they rolled hotter than I did' even though sometimes that might be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Roundy1161 said:

Then the next question, who records every dice roll in practice games to analyse if they were average or not?

I check for every vassal game. It is enough to make me realise that my 'super hot dice' are more often due to my mods. And the case of natties on the mod-less awing is less frequent as the natties on a ship with focus, but more notable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I seem to be rolling coldly, I like to exclaim "muh dice" and shake my head. When I'm rolling hot, I like to exclaim "muh dice" and throw my hands in the air in celebration. I find that I often am using both cheers roughly equally in each game.

I wonder if there is a psychological reason why I feel like my dice are more average when I cheer my hot dice, even sarcastically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...