SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I don't have a problem with variance being brushed off.  You can't control that.  You can take information from it, but you can't control it.  There's a difference between chasing Miranda for 20 minutes, missing on your TL/focus shots each time with her winning on time verses diving into range 1, in arc, of Fenn Rau on the hopes that you PS kill him when he has full health.  

On 12/26/2017 at 0:39 AM, Lobokai said:

They’re all in witness protection by now. Or been sent back to repeat grade school math along with the Nym playtesters. 

I'm not sure when chris replaced nathan as my adult, but one of the things I'm not allowed to do is read the names of playtesters on air

2 hours ago, catachanninja said:

I'm not sure when chris replaced nathan as my adult, but one of the things I'm not allowed to do is read the names of playtesters on air

saving it for myself

On 12/24/2017 at 1:05 PM, sozin said:

I'll just leave this here ;-) git gud fellas 

but seriously, krayts probably deserved to win it, you guys are at the top of my playlist 

haha, congrats! I'm not sure we actually deserved to win it, our target audience is smaller and you guys are significantly better at not setting things on fire

Listener 4:  good listen... reminds me of high level mathhammer in 40k... so nice to have you guys bringing that to the X-Wing masses. 

I get so sick of all my games being written off as luck in 40k and am constantly trying to explain to my opponent that allowing my Khorne or Ravenwing lists to sit at 19” on your turn isn’t my luck, it’s your bad.

Thanks guys. I will say when it comes to netlist hate, positive attitude at the table, willingness to experiment and innovate etc... The X-Wing community is far better than most others. 

Edited by Lobokai

After the bonfire of salt that was the awful '100 point Rey or go home' episode that nearly turned me off the podcast entirely, this episode was a refreshing, positive and useful change of pace.

I've listened twice now - and some of the lessons are even sinking in, so cheers!  

Just need to find a team - how many folk do you think makes a solid team to kick about lists and discuss meta calls?

2 hours ago, Dreadai said:

After the bonfire of salt that was the awful '100 point Rey or go home' episode that nearly turned me off the podcast entirely, this episode was a refreshing, positive and useful change of pace.

I've listened twice now - and some of the lessons are even sinking in, so cheers!  

Just need to find a team - how many folk do you think makes a solid team to kick about lists and discuss meta calls?

Honestly even 2 is good enough - anyone you can bounce ideas off of and feel like you get good feedback from.

If anything, make sure your teams are too large (maybe not more than 10-15), because chats can get too noisy and become less useful.

11 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Honestly even 2 is good enough - anyone you can bounce ideas off of and feel like you get good feedback from.

If anything, make sure your teams are too large (maybe not more than 10-15), because chats can get too noisy and become less useful.

AW I had 10-15 as max typed out too! 

What I was going to say is that it would really depend on the people in the group as well. Getting more input for the sake of more input and sacrificing a good group dynamic is a bad plan. I think the sweet spot is probably between 5-10 with 15 being at the very high end of useful unless the group is very disciplined and motivated. 

3 hours ago, Dreadai said:

Don't forget tactics, what you do on the table is just as important as what you bring. As others have said, you don't need many, the mindset is definitly what's most important 

11 hours ago, Dreadai said:

Step 1: get your kids to play x-wing 

Step 2: reap the learnings that come from unlimited time and youthful obsession

Step 3: profit! 

And I'm barely joking here. My 8 year old is one of the best sparring partner I can think of. He doesn't stick to preconceived notions and he's always there, begging to play one more game. 

I spent a whole summer thinking I wasn't getting any better 2 years ago, because our matches kept being more or less even. Then we went to a kit tournament (his first) and finished 2nd and 3rd (he was 2nd, at 6 years old). That's when I realised that we were both honing each other's skills very finely. So, I agree that you need a team, whatever form that takes. 

Listener 4 gave me the kick I needed to teach him about probabilities, just to make it rational instead of feeling based. Why just this afternoon he found our expose token and asked what it was, he got excited when I told him, then I had him run the probabilities of expose vs a simple focus token. A few minutes later (with the help of an excel file for binomial distribution stuff) he goes "expose sucks, the only thing it's better at is the 6% chance of 4 hits!"

Thanks Krayts :D

So I'm looking into making a Most Wanted/Restricted list for Epic, possibly changing card text. (like they did with Biggs and Navigator in Epic already)

The intent would be to have an effective Epic list would also be an aesthetic list, and not have central pillars built around specific cards. 

What cards are currently very strong/too strong in Epic? 

7 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

So I'm looking into making a Most Wanted/Restricted list for Epic, possibly changing card text. (like they did with Biggs and Navigator in Epic already)

The intent would be to have an effective Epic list would also be an aesthetic list, and not have central pillars built around specific cards. 

- Maul on a CR90 loaded with guns

- harpoon swarm

- need to test Maul/Zuckuss on a C-Roc. Not sure it’s good but it will be very annoying 

14 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

TLT and Harpoon spam are problems but I'm not sure I would ban them. Maybe limit the total number per list.

The only thing that's totally broken in Epic is Hyperwave. Take Dormitz + 8 TIE/sfs with missiles. Every ship has Hyperwave. You have to see it in action to understand why it's so busted.

21 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

TLT and Harpoon spam are problems but I'm not sure I would ban them. Maybe limit the total number per list.

The only thing that's totally broken in Epic is Hyperwave. Take Dormitz + 8 TIE/sfs with missiles. Every ship has Hyperwave. You have to see it in action to understand why it's so busted.

Most wanted list is implying limits per squad. Looking at it, a cap of 4 Harpoon and 4 TLT is probably happening in v1.0

I have Dormitz on my watch list due to the ability to deploy ships up 440mm up the board and hand out tokens- besides making his ability R1 in Epic, would applying a limit on the number of Hyperwaves also make sense?

4 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Most wanted list is implying limits per squad. Looking at it, a cap of 4 Harpoon and 4 TLT is probably happening in v1.0

I have Dormitz on my watch list due to the ability to deploy ships up 440mm up the board and hand out tokens- besides making his ability R1 in Epic, would applying a limit on the number of Hyperwaves also make sense?

Hyperwave spam is a problem for two reasons.

1. If every ship in your list has Hyperwave, you can setup your entire list at PS12. Basically, you let your opponent set up first and then setup your entire list to joust. With Dormitz and the range 2 deployment zone, a Round 1 joust is unavoidable. This is especially a problem in Epic because all ships should deploy together to be effective. Unlike standard games, it is absolutely stupid to split your deployment across the play area in Epic because you will be outgunned.

2. The Round 1 tokenstacking makes the TIE/sfs nigh invincible on round 1. Typically Dormitz comes in with two Hyperwaves so that the first sf placed has Focus + Evade. Each subsequent sf gains +1 token from Hyperwave stacking so that the last sf placed has 9 green tokens of his choice. I have had multiple four die attacks entirely dodged by the same sf in a game against this list.

The combination of all these factors makes it so the sf list forces a Round 1 joust against any list it comes across. And it can out-joust just about any list thanks to the damage output (each sf has a fully modded Harpoon) and defensive token stacking. Limiting Hyperwave to, say, 4 copies per list completely neuters the list.