SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

9 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I mean, they can't all die in the opening exchange.  With that being said, why pay 37 for a cluster missile A when you could pay 39 for a cluster missile SF?

Yeah I think that missiles  (except maybe protons) are a mistake in general on a-wings. The only real Target Sync shenanigans I've come up with is Quickdraw with TS and 3 S/Fs with cluster missiles and I have no idea if it is good.

EDIT: I take that back slightly. Poe with TS and 3 missile A-Wings sort of works in the same vein, though formation flying is harder.

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

This isnt a complete thought yet but is there something solid available in Imperial Hyperspace involving Tie Fighters, Strikers, maybe a Reaper and no Vader?

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 49
Juke 4
Ship Total: 53
Half Points: 27 Threshold: 4

“Duchess” — TIE/sk Striker 42
Swarm Tactics 3
Ship Total: 45
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

“Howlrunner” — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Swarm Tactics 3
Shield Upgrade 8
Ship Total: 51
Half Points: 26 Threshold: 2

“Pure Sabacc” — TIE/sk Striker 44
Shield Upgrade 6
Ship Total: 50
Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3
Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

@Boom Owl, I think that is the path to victory for the Empire. 5+ ship lists. Unless he gets a bit cheaper, I think that Vader maybe a trap.

We know Tie Swarm is workable. And Vader plus some strikers isnt the worst. Iv run 5 striker wampa alot but it got bullied in extended. 

Howl/Iden doesnt have to support just tie fighters i guess. Though moving them logically together and not super predictably is a concern...

17 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I mean, they can't all die in the opening exchange.  With that being said, why pay 37 for a cluster missile A when you could pay 39 for a cluster missile SF?

Actions linked to boost, speed.  I don't really think either are every good, honestly, just thinking out loud.  

Okay okay I finally had time to look at the krayts data (THANKS SO MUCH) in detail and do some confidence interval calculations.  And just...I don't... there's NO WAY Rexler is that bad, right?

I have some experience with him and it's been all positive.  I've tried a couple games of Rexler/Vader, a few with Rexler/Redline, and a couple with Rexler/Duchess/Soontir...and he was a real superstar every time!  And *that* is including the several matches where I straight up forgot that he had a pilot ability.  I pretended hi spilot ability was "I'm and I5 defender with advanced sensors", which would honestly be one of the best pilot abilities in the game by itself.

It's basically impossible for two ships moving after him to catch him, and he can hit back hard enough.  AND he's probably worth more than two ships in the endgame, anyway.

What gives?   Why does Rexler perform so badly?

1 minute ago, Ablazoned said:

Okay okay I finally had time to look at the krayts data (THANKS SO MUCH) in detail and do some confidence interval calculations.  And just...I don't... there's NO WAY Rexler is that bad, right?

I have some experience with him and it's been all positive.  I've tried a couple games of Rexler/Vader, a few with Rexler/Redline, and a couple with Rexler/Duchess/Soontir...and he was a real superstar every time!  And *that* is including the several matches where I straight up forgot that he had a pilot ability.  I pretended hi spilot ability was "I'm and I5 defender with advanced sensors", which would honestly be one of the best pilot abilities in the game by itself.

It's basically impossible for two ships moving after him to catch him, and he can hit back hard enough.  AND he's probably worth more than two ships in the endgame, anyway.

What gives?   Why does Rexler perform so badly?

I think it’s a mix of 1) many people still do not fully grasp pre-dial movement,including how to exploit it, and 2) current extended had some stuff that was so efficient even that didn’t matter.

I find the MOV bleed with Rex is super real as well. Lose 3 shields and 44+ points is gone. Cost me a couple of games in the final turn or 2.

But he's still a total monster, best pilot I've used. At my level, I sometimes just need 'random other ships' to put in the firing line so he can solo the other squad.

3 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I think it’s a mix of 1) many people still do not fully grasp pre-dial movement,including how to exploit it, and 2) current extended had some stuff that was so efficient even that didn’t matter.

2 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

A lot, but not all, players using Rexler

• Put him in a subpar list due to points issues
  • Are just bad and leave Rexler hanging, waiting to be shot

I expect both of these are correct, but I'll add:

Juke Rexler is the obvious build, but it's sort of a bad end- or even mid-game ship because there's not enough shots from Rexler's squad to consistently take advantage of Juke.  The subsequent 3/4 dice single modded attack is pretty bad for a model that expensive.  You need to get Rexler to an end game where he's worth more points, but you need to kill enough stuff to get him there. 

It's a useful ship because it's pretty competent with no bid, and it's pretty strong against some of the currently good stuff.  You just need to avoid the "the other half of my squad is dead and I haven't killed anything" syndrome. 

9 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I thought that Bruna's top 16 game at PAX had some solid pre-dial movement turns, especially that k turn at the end to range control Fenn.

5 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Doesn't he need to lose 4 shields to be scored?

I thought so but the app has 4 health as the threshold... does that mean he needs to drop below that?

Honestly, I'm slightly confused suddenly.

Edit. Ah, I see. Good, because If been playing it that way for ages and only thought different a week or so ago, casually.

Edited by Cuz05

22 minutes ago, Goldsquadronpodcast said:

Points Change Opinion Survey!!!  https://goo.gl/forms/HBjmiVUVRMHcqzmd2

Giving away 5 amazon Gift Cards!!!

this page is super helpful when going through these: http://xhud.sirjorj.com/xwing.cgi

incidentally, there wasn't a good place for upgrades that spanned some factions but not others (Moldy Crow) but oh well.

Prompted by the thread on bids, I did some more digging wrt pilot skill. Again, disclaimer about different dataset, and French not yet included.

Not only are a good 30% of all ships I5, but also 83% of all lists had one or more ship with I5 or I6. And 36% had just one and not more.

0xho0at.png

No surprise that Redline, Whisper, Boba and Wedge are the top honchos. My question is now: which of these ships needs the ini bid?

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

Prompted by the thread on bids, I did some more digging wrt pilot skill. Again, disclaimer about different dataset, and French not yet included.

Not only are a good 30% of all ships I5, but also 83% of all lists had one or more ship with I5 or I6. And 36% had just one and not more.

Not surprised only because I've seen the data. It was a massive shock when we digested the extent to which i5+ was pervasive. 

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

No surprise that Redline, Whisper, Boba and Wedge are the top honchos. My question is now: which of these ships needs the ini bid?

Need? Redline.

Halo effect? Whisper and Boba.

basically moot? Wedge.

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

My question is now: which of these ships needs the ini bid?

Basically ones with lock based ordinance or premovement actions or both.

During the Extended Open Beta that meant Correct Redline lists or Boba/Guri. Occasionally other torp or premove ace lists that shoulda just been squad of legend. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

well that's the question. Does a deep bid really lead to more bidding?

I suspect yes, sort of.

Some people tap out, but if you want to play specifc kinds of ships (ordinance and pre-dial), then yes, more bidding necessitates more bidding.