Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, JasonCole said:

Why wonder where we wander?

Because of threat of FFGs mods, the topic was to be regulated to X-wing TMG content lest this thread become like the Rebels discussion thread(moved to off topic) and so the content has gone from an annoyance of “krayts on top” as soon as the thread becomes 5th on the recently updated, to actual wholesome X-wing content. So it would actually be reasonable to wonder how much of an influx of traffic this thread gets now as compared to say a year ago. I would assume more because the nature of discussion has changed from solely about the podcast to how the current state of the game/preferred pilots. That and hard data that is similar to major-jugglers 1st edition threads now gets posted here or on a regular basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brunas said:

 

I think both of these are misleading.  Saying at 75-80% of lists had at least one i5 is very different from saying EVERY list is running almost exclusively i5+ ships, with a few outliers.

@Sunitsa that's true for Spain, but crossroads tells a different story (much smaller event): http://listfortress.com/tournaments/12.  I'd have to go check GSP, but I don't remember huge i5 dominance there.

 

But it's not like that now people just run ps 5 ships in their lists either, I'm not getting what you are saying

The game has been centered upon ps 5 since its inception considering so many good pilots and meta staples sit there, I don't think anyone had ever disputed that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Can we get a bar chart of initiative of pilots in cut?

Can we then weigh that data by cost of pilot, giving us percent of cut by initiative value?

I think you are being sarcastic? But I am interested in that. 

 

Over/under: Percentage of points spent that made a cut on an i5 platform: 35%

 

I think I’m leaning over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AEIllingworth said:

I think you are being sarcastic? But I am interested in that. 

 

Over/under: Percentage of points spent that made a cut on an i5 platform: 35%

 

I think I’m leaning over?

I'm not being sarcastic. If I was, I'd be cursing and talking about how Thane is great and rebels should play more thane. 

I actually want to know, in cut

- How many pilots of each init value were there

- How many points of each init value were there (Maybe factor bid as distributed amongst all ships? 

I know i'm going to look really stupid with my 72-100% of my lit being init 1. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Can we get a bar chart of initiative of pilots in cut?

Can we then weigh that data by cost of pilot, giving us percent of cut by initiative value?

I can do the first bit EZ. I gotta port my data to xws for the second which is a whole thing. 

17 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

My phone is vomiting. 

Yeah looks fine on desktop. Tis a travesty in mobile, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think that a focus on cuts is misleading. Xwing is too volatile and the tournament structure is too arbitrarily chosen to use it for analysis.

I'm currently on holidays, but now that we finally start getting data I can dig a little myself. I'll also throw that in here again when I get around to do it, the rest of the forum is.. well, not great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kaptin Krunch, for some reason it won't let me upload the chart, but here's the data, hope the formatting doesn't suck on mobile again.

i # %
i1 79 15%
i2 53 10.%
i3 88 17%
i4 95 18%
i5 161 30%
i6 52 10%

Table 1: number of ships at each initiative value in the cut (aggregate data) as a raw number and as a percentage of the total number of ships in the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jagsba said:

@Kaptin Krunch, for some reason it won't let me upload the chart, but here's the data, hope the formatting doesn't suck on mobile again.

 

i # %
i1 79 15%
i2 53 10.%
i3 88 17%
i4 95 18%
i5 161 30%
i6 52 10%

Table 1: number of ships at each initiative value in the cut (aggregate data) as a raw number and as a percentage of the total number of ships in the cut.

Cool!

How hard would it to weigh that by points?

What i'm looking for are signs of lists like Han 3Z, where while it's technically 1 i6 and 3 i1, han is 2/3rds of the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Cool!

How hard would it to weigh that by points?

What i'm looking for are signs of lists like Han 3Z, where while it's technically 1 i6 and 3 i1, han is 2/3rds of the list.

Won’t points and initiative be self-correlated?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Cool!

How hard would it to weigh that by points?

What i'm looking for are signs of lists like Han 3Z, where while it's technically 1 i6 and 3 i1, han is 2/3rds of the list.

you'll have to hit up other data monkeys. I've got to shift from searching list text to pulling data from XWS to be able to pull individual points and thats going to take a bit of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Won’t points and initiative be self-correlated?

 

To some extent, but it would be vastly preferable to have the actual data to see exactly how points are being invested across init bands.

As an example, a Fat Han being 2/3rds of a list and a Soontir or Wedge being a quarter mean different things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

To some extent, but it would be vastly preferable to have the actual data to see exactly how points are being invested across init bands.

As an example, a Fat Han being 2/3rds of a list and a Soontir or Wedge being a quarter mean different things.

Sure, but what you then actually want is a more econometric model that controls points based on other factors first: base size, attack value, defense value, etc.

Just weighting by points is possibly too naive to be valuable, and could easily cause spurious conclusions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Because of threat of FFGs mods, the topic was to be regulated to X-wing TMG content lest this thread become like the Rebels discussion thread(moved to off topic) and so the content has gone from an annoyance of “krayts on top” as soon as the thread becomes 5th on the recently updated, to actual wholesome X-wing content. So it would actually be reasonable to wonder how much of an influx of traffic this thread gets now as compared to say a year ago. I would assume more because the nature of discussion has changed from solely about the podcast to how the current state of the game/preferred pilots. That and hard data that is similar to major-jugglers 1st edition threads now gets posted here or on a regular basis. 

I was riffing on the alliteration used, but thanks for taking me seriously. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I still think that a focus on cuts is misleading. Xwing is too volatile and the tournament structure is too arbitrarily chosen to use it for analysis.

I'm currently on holidays, but now that we finally start getting data I can dig a little myself. I'll also throw that in here again when I get around to do it, the rest of the forum is.. well, not great.

I agree that just looking at raw conversion rate doesn't give us the whole picture, personally I like to collect cut lists because it usually means that something got there once, given the right combination of good piloting, good matchup and dice luck, it could make it again. 

But with the data we have what else could we do other than just look at conversion rate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep on seeing Boba/Guri pop up. Is it a thing? I'm tempted to take it PAX because 1) It looks fun 2) It looks good and 3)Two ships are easy enough to fly. I know that bend barrel rolls give you lots of options, but I have a pretty good feel for it and easy enough to get some solo practice with it to hone it.

 

I've been reading Phil GC's love affair with it and it has me intrigued. 

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

I keep on seeing Boba/Guri pop up. Is it a thing? I'm tempted to take it PAX because 1) It looks fun 2) It looks good and 3)Two ships are easy enough to fly. I know that bend barrel rolls give you lots of options, but I have a pretty good feel for it and easy enough to get some solo practice with it to hone it.

 

I've been reading Phil GC's love affair with it and it has me intrigued. 

It is a thing. It made some cuts even when played by non philgc, most recently it was the runner up of the polish sos. 

But I never played nor faced it, so other than pointing those results out, I'm not that helpful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

I keep on seeing Boba/Guri pop up. Is it a thing? I'm tempted to take it PAX because 1) It looks fun 2) It looks good and 3)Two ships are easy enough to fly. I know that bend barrel rolls give you lots of options, but I have a pretty good feel for it and easy enough to get some solo practice with it to hone it.

I've been reading Phil GC's love affair with it and it has me intrigued. 

Given that the ship count seems to be hovering in the 3-4 range instead of higher, I think it might be a thing.  You'll want to outbid Redlines or Guri will just die.  Be cautious about stress control and kill I6s arc dodgers with a furious vengeance.   I like this Boba build, which techs against a lot of the current meta boogieman(s).  

Boba Fett (80)
Debris Gambit (2)
IG-88D (4)
Seismic Charges (3)
Contraband Cybernetics (5)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Marauder (3)
Han Solo (4)

Total: 107

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Given that the ship count seems to be hovering in the 3-4 range instead of higher, I think it might be a thing.  You'll want to outbid Redlines or Guri will just die.  Be cautious about stress control and kill I6s arc dodgers with a furious vengeance.   I like this Boba build, which techs against a lot of the current meta boogieman(s).  

Boba Fett (80)
Debris Gambit (2)
IG-88D (4)
Seismic Charges (3)
Contraband Cybernetics (5)
Shield Upgrade (6)
Marauder (3)
Han Solo (4)

Total: 107

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I was actually thinking the following. Wanted to buff up Guri a bit and keep it under 185. 

 

Boba Fett (80)
Trick Shot (1)
IG-88D (4)
Marauder (3)
Han Solo (4)
Guri (62)
Lone Wolf (4)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Shield Upgrade (8)
Virago (10)
Total: 184

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...