Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

So, after a lot of silencer play (a lot being relative here, of course), I think it's really interesting.  A lot of the thoughts I see are basically that it isn't performing well immediately, which isn't surprising, but that makes people wonder if it's good.

 

We're just over here wondering if the things it lets you do are OK to the long term health of the game.  I mean I'M having fun, but teleporting across the entire board every turn is more than a little insane.

My experiments so far have been with the joustier, arguably more wholesome Lone Wolf version (because someone should), and even then, Advanced Sensors granted an enormous number of options every turn.   I will say that the option to do short candy canes in back to back turns followed by red maneuvers is a real advantage over PTL, but there might be something better than Lone Wolf as the EPT.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gennataos said:

The only 100pt Miranda list currently in List Juggler for Austin was what I would consider a decidedly less than optimal build...and the quad wookies lost to it during swiss.  I don't know if that says anything.

I saw it on stream, heard trick shot on lowrick and i threw my phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I didn't bring this green 5 straight and advanced sensors to not use them!

God, that green 5 straight might just be the best maneuver on the dial. My usual opening to set up across from my opponent parallel to my board edge, hard-1 boost to a 45 degree angle, then dial in a 5-straight next round and wait to see what my opponent does. If my opponent attempts to chase but is far enough away, I AS boost/BR the other way and bug out. If they gun hard for me and get close, I AS boost/BR toward them and 5-straight right past them. Did the latter yesterday against Asajj. Then followed up with AS boost/BR 2-hard and still had arc the following round. It was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

My experiments so far have been with the joustier, arguably more wholesome Lone Wolf version (because someone should), and even then, Advanced Sensors granted an enormous number of options every turn.   I will say that the option to do short candy canes in back to back turns followed by red maneuvers is a real advantage over PTL, but there might be something better than Lone Wolf as the EPT.  

Don't forget you can still do those things with PTL, as obscene as it is.  But now all your red moves are also 2 straights! Super fair, I promise.

Just now, catachanninja said:

I saw it on stream, heard trick shot on lowrick and i threw my phone

Guess we're using all the patreon money to replace Zack's phone, thanks Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Don't forget you can still do those things with PTL, as obscene as it is.  But now all your red moves are also 2 straights! Super fair, I promise.

You can do it once, then you're stressed and you can't do it again. Slowly backing away with BR+hard 1 over and over is pretty hilarious. I guess you could just not use PTL, but that makes me feel sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

You can do it once, then you're stressed and you can't do it again. Slowly backing away with BR+hard 1 over and over is pretty hilarious. I guess you could just not use PTL, but that makes me feel sad.

Yeah, after some testing, optics is basically what lets you do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Wow, optics has been great in my testing.  I initially thought it would fall in the "nice to have" category, but it has rapidly escalated.

What's been so great about it on Silencers?  Just that you can carry it into engagements for full mods, or have it after reds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Wow, optics has been great in my testing.  I initially thought it would fall in the "nice to have" category, but it has rapidly escalated.

I've been meaning to try Optics. But I've been running PA this whole time which means I'd have to fly the ship totally differently. I don't like being forced into AS every round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I've been meaning to try Optics. But I've been running PA this whole time which means I'd have to fly the ship totally differently. I don't like being forced into AS every round.

The secret for optics is basically that it lets you do this as well.  How often are you moving, taking an action, and pushing to focus?  Optics says you're still unstressed, and in addition you get to bank focuses every turn of no shooting (which happens a lot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Brunas said:

The secret for optics is basically that it lets you do this as well.  How often are you moving, taking an action, and pushing to focus?  Optics says you're still unstressed, and in addition you get to bank focuses every turn of no shooting (which happens a lot).

Mmmmm, so much skillz. Peace out fly away bank a focus while turning around come back with a double reposition or TL with the banked focus and most importantly spend an action to make emo Kylo quotes. 

I still have yet to play against someone who actually shoots at Kylo first for some reason which is giving me a bunch of false positives. Just get to fly around shooting at stuff while they work through other stuff in the list, Omega Leader. When they do turn to Kylo Palp is usually still around. Eventually I will play against a wizard who isnt arbitrarily afraid of the darkside and works out that Kylo can be burned down. But today, today is not that day.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunas said:

The secret for optics is basically that it lets you do this as well.  How often are you moving, taking an action, and pushing to focus?  Optics says you're still unstressed, and in addition you get to bank focuses every turn of no shooting (which happens a lot).

You make a good point about not needing to always Push with Optics. Too bad I can't change my Vassal tourney list in the middle...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gennataos said:

The only 100pt Miranda list currently in List Juggler for Austin was what I would consider a decidedly less than optimal build...and the quad wookies lost to it during swiss.  I don't know if that says anything.

there were two, another guy dropped biggs for strezra and went 3-3.

4 hours ago, catachanninja said:

I saw it on stream, heard trick shot on lowrick and i threw my phone

The guy with trick shot picked up OP Cubed after listening to y'all. He admitted that your version is better, he just wanted to snowflake a little.

As for silencer play in Austin. No one really knew what they were doing, were bidding all over the place, running into higher PS ships, or lost before round one because Mages Sanctum is BYOB. The top kylo player lost his first two matches and clubbed seals for his next 4 to make 20th. He seems like he'll end up much like RAClo, there will be bad matchups that you can just lose in listbuilding, but there are lists that don't stand a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Everyone round is round won if you're drunk enough

It's byob but i can't caps lock on stream? Wtf is this place?!

 

29 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Looks like a Miranda/Low/Strezra also made top 8 at Rochester.

I like that version a ton, there's temptation to go stress heavy with tactician on low as well, but i like selfless Ezra and a 1 point bid right  now. Wookie commandos is life. It's not great against some of the lists old worst matchups (alpha, kanan) but I'm not sure if that will matter going forward, as new stuff hunts those lists and ego.

 

This is sort of how I thought ego might die? New meta, people figuring out how to fight it, and good old power creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...