Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Thweek placed higher than any Miranda, Kylencer, or Gunboats at the Austin regional. Two of them even. Just sayin'. :P

The only 100pt Miranda list currently in List Juggler for Austin was what I would consider a decidedly less than optimal build...and the quad wookies lost to it during swiss.  I don't know if that says anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if the silencer is meta-good yet (it's probably at least "good enough").

That said, I suspect we're going to see a LOT of bad silencer players for the next month, mostly because many people want to play it (it is really cool), but have little experience playing an arc dodgers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I'm not sure if the silencer is meta-good yet (it's probably at least "good enough").

That said, I suspect we're going to see a LOT of bad silencer players for the next month, mostly because many people want to play it (it is really cool), but have little experience playing an arc dodgers. 

 

I've been messing around a little this past weekend to get a sense of how it flies.  It's weird.  I'm a rampantly aggressive player, so it's been hard.  I have had to be more careful with the silencer than Soontir Fel, because the lack of Evade and high points cost really limit what kinds of shots you can take.  Considering he's a good 10 points more, there's then less in your list to cover for him.  It's a weird ship.  

I think if the meta tends to be low defense, he'll be strong, but if the meta goes high defense, he won't be able to do enough damage for the points.  He has trouble, in my very limited experience, getting quality shots AND avoiding shots.  One or the other is pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest hurdle facing the Silencer right now, is the mass Wookiees that are showing up more and more. Whether it's 3 Liberators or 4 Defenders, either is not fun for Silencers because they have the 180 arc and it's definitely a platform that is extremely hard to push damage through. 3 Liberators stress the Silencer via Tactician so much it's super sad and 4 Kashyyyk Defenders require the Silencer and the rest of it's list to likely kill 3 of them. 

Edited by RStan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I've been messing around a little this past weekend to get a sense of how it flies.  It's weird.  I'm a rampantly aggressive player, so it's been hard.  I have had to be more careful with the silencer than Soontir Fel, because the lack of Evade and high points cost really limit what kinds of shots you can take.  Considering he's a good 10 points more, there's then less in your list to cover for him.  It's a weird ship.  

I think if the meta tends to be low defense, he'll be strong, but if the meta goes high defense, he won't be able to do enough damage for the points.  He has trouble, in my very limited experience, getting quality shots AND avoiding shots.  One or the other is pretty easy.

I've been playing mostly PS11 Poe/Wedge/Fenn or PS10 Rey/PS11 Poe and after about half a dozen games against various Silencers, I'm unimpressed.  It's like you said, if it's shooting me, I'm probably shooting it, whether it moves before or after me.

That's against locals and random Vassal folks.  Higher level players might be able to make it something spectacular.

Edited by gennataos
caveat inclusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I've been playing mostly PS11 Poe/Wedge/Fenn or PS10 Rey/PS11 Poe and after about half a dozen games against various Silencers, I'm unimpressed.  It's like you said, if it's shooting me, I'm probably shooting it, whether it moves before or after me.

That's against locals and random Vassal folks.  Higher level players might be able to make it something spectacular.

I'll say that the squads I've faced have been kind of random, "lets try new stuff" 4 ship lists.  It's quite possible that Kylo is better against certain power meta lists because of specific matchups.  He's certainly got enough builds to try that there's plenty of options to look at, and I do think that the chassis will be strong in one way or another.

Edited by Biophysical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Biophysical said:

I'll say that the squads I've faced have been kind of random, "lets try new stuff" 4 ship lists.  It's quite possible that Kylo is better against certain power meta lists because of specific matchups.  He's certainly got enough builds to try that there's plenty of options to look at if, and I do think that the chassis will be strong in one way or another.

I suspect this, plus a sprinkling of bad kylo play (due to lack of experience).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RStan said:

The biggest hurdle facing the Silencer right now, is the mass Wookiees that are showing up more and more. Whether it's 3 Liberators or 4 Defenders, either is not fun for Silencers because they have the 180 arc and it's definitely a platform that is extremely hard to push damage through. 3 Liberators stress the Silencer via Tactician so much it's super sad and 4 Kashyyyk Defenders require the Silencer and the rest of it's list to likely kill 3 of them. 

I think Blackout is the stand...out :P in the silencers. Everyone goes for Kylo cause of PS9, But Blackouts ability with Advance Slam terrorizes everything. Even ghosts and decimators because they dont get range or debris bonus while Blackout is behind a rock and he is sitting on 4/5 green dice. Also, he is a lot cheaper.

People still need time with the silencers. TIE S/F took a little while to get going as well, as many had written it off as D.O.A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, after a lot of silencer play (a lot being relative here, of course), I think it's really interesting.  A lot of the thoughts I see are basically that it isn't performing well immediately, which isn't surprising, but that makes people wonder if it's good.

 

We're just over here wondering if the things it lets you do are OK to the long term health of the game.  I mean I'M having fun, but teleporting across the entire board every turn is more than a little insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunas said:

So, after a lot of silencer play (a lot being relative here, of course), I think it's really interesting.  A lot of the thoughts I see are basically that it isn't performing well immediately, which isn't surprising, but that makes people wonder if it's good.

 

We're just over here wondering if the things it lets you do are OK to the long term health of the game.  I mean I'M having fun, but teleporting across the entire board every turn is more than a little insane.

You chose that maneuver on your dial - you deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...