SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

9 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

"played 4 of my games final salvoing fortressing wookies".

I want to do it for the memes still but I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Can you help me?

Edited by Brunas
have to properly quote my boy

4 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

There is a difference between "I'm a pretty good player and showed up, played well, and so played a couple triple Wookie lists over the course of the day" and "I'm a pretty good player, went 3-3, and played 4 of my games final salvoing fortressing wookies".

Oh Jesus, is there ever.

*insert vomit emoji here*

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

It's because the 'correct' strategy for the 100 pt miranda build (Miranda, Lowhrick, and [usually] biggs) is to move slow, stay in formation, and not overly commit to shots or rocks (the 'bank back to the board edge' comment).

This is because the damage the list can take in most circumstances (and I do mean most) is very low due to Miranda regen and the lowhrick evade, even with incoming ordinance, because you cannot follow up that shot with primaries because of biggs (allowing Miranda another 2 turns of regen).

You cannot follow the list due to TLT and bombs+sabine damage, you rarely can joust it due to Miranda's Harpoon and the other two shots (it doesn't matter if they're hyper accurate), and that the list will survive long enough that it is likely that the 100 pt miranda list kills enough of your list via bombs/TLT/primaries that, even *if* you kill Biggs and lowhrick, Miranda is worth more than the remaining ships in your list, and thus wins on time (catching a miranda that doesn't want to be caught is very difficult for most lists, and then you add the regenerating TLT).

So, yeah - that's what we meant.

If you break formation, or over-commit to rocks for your opponent (such as bumping or scraping rocks) so now miranda, biggs, or especially lowhrick do not have actions, your survivability drops precipitously.

All of that said, the strategy I just laid out is usually a very boring style of play for most people, and I, at least, believe that is the reason why we don't see more success of the style of list en masse: it's boring, and is not "playing x-wing" like most people envision playing x-wing. It's also why you saw people pick up FSR2, and go through the rocks and break formation: because that feels like x-wing, but was counter-productive for winning with the list.

I agree with everything you've said.  I just see that list as a sum of its parts, and not Miranda (nor Biggs) being the linchpin which makes playing against it suck.  If anything is, it's Lowhhrick.  He's an integral part of trip wookies, EGO/OP3/Whatever and FSR2.  

As a Rebel-only player, there's not a whole lot I can play competitively which people don't just loathe...including myself.  Most of it is slow and plodding and preferably flying kinda close.  It's what the faction does well.  I do like flying Miranda some, and the notion of nerfing her (further) just reduces the competitive subset even further, which makes me sad, which why I said anything in the first place.  

All that said, I just wanna fly X-Wings (of all types) and sometimes Rey.  

Edited by gennataos

3 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I agree with everything you've said.  I just see that list as a sum of its parts, and not Miranda (nor Biggs) being the linchpin which makes playing against it suck.  If anything is, it's Lowhhrick.  He's an integral part of trip wookies, EGO/OP3/Whatever and FSR2.  

As a Rebel-only player, there's not a whole lot I can play competitively which people don't just loathe...including myself.  Most of it is slow and plodding and preferably flying kinda close.  It's what the faction does well.  I do like flying Miranda some, and the notion of nerfing her (further) just reduces the competitive subset even further, which makes me sad, which why I said anything in the first place.  

If you want to hone your T70 skills, I'm here for you.

15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Leebo is the correct answer 

Just now, Biophysical said:

I apparently don't listen hard enough, because I did a solo game last night against EgoMk3, ust to get a little more familiarity, and this is the version I built.  

I typically see her with Sabine and Wookiees on Low. I guess you don't see 3PO very often because of the reduced damage from bombs and because she seems to do well enough without him?

51 minutes ago, gennataos said:

All that said, I just wanna fly X-Wings (of all types) 

This Is why I can't play rebels.  Wedge is the first card I see, so I always include him in my list.  Its a problem.  (Side note, Wedge is also awesome because he is the Brother-in-law of Soontir Fel. [EU gets bonkers mate])

1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

This Is why I can't play rebels.  Wedge is the first card I see, so I always include him in my list.  Its a problem.  (Side note, Wedge is also awesome because he is the Brother-in-law of Soontir Fel. [EU gets bonkers mate])

Don't disregard Wedge now with the Flight Assist Astromech!

Edited by gennataos

33 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

It gets even better if you go deeper. Wedge's sister marries Soontir Fel, who have a son together named Jagged Fel, who then marries Jaina Solo, the daughter of Han Solo and granddaughter Anakin Skywalker. All six of them are considered to be among the best pilots in the galaxy. It's like they were part of some program to breed the greatest ace pilot in the galaxy.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

I want to do it for the memes still but I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Can you help me?

This forum is afraid of me... I have seen its true face.  The posts are extended gutters and the gutters are full of agency burglers, and when the drains have their agency burgled, the burglers will drown.  The accumulated filth of all their turrets, and regen, and perfect information will foam about their waists, and all the tryhards and the cowards will look up and shout "Help me!"...

...and I'll look down and whisper "no."

16 minutes ago, gennataos said:

@Biophysical isn't locked in here with us.  We're locked in here with him.

That describes my tournament mindset better than you might guess.  When I prep for a big tournament (if I have time) my first action is to find a squad I like.  Then I figure out if it has a chance against the big meta lists and adjust it according to my findings.  Then I play a metric crap ton of solitaire games against those lists to learn them and learn how to fight them with my list.  When i get to a tournament, I don't always win, but it's always a game.  I absolutely don't mind fighting 6 of the nastiest NPE lists out there, because that's what I've prepared for, and the slow dawning realization of what's happening to them feeds my soul.  

Edited by Biophysical

This latest episode is the compilation of all of my personal rants about this game for the last 3 years? All of the worst metas have centered around super defensive mechanics, which always push the game away from playing X-Wing and towards degenerate unfun crap. Attrition is essential to the game.

My Miranda fix is to remove her regen ability completely - force her to rely on R2-D2 crew if she wants to play that game. I still can't understand how she got out of playtesting, saying nothing of making it 2 1/2 years with no real nerfs.

I'm really not sure how to fix Auzituks - the ship has deep fundamental problems that again are truly baffling about how they made it through playtesting. Reinforce was a bad idea, but might be salvageable if Auzituks were agility 0 or had about half as much health? Currently, they are sitting at Dengaroo durability but you can fit up to 4 in a list instead of just 1. Maybe change reinforce from add an evade result to roll an additional defense die? The lack of variance with reinforce is a big part of the issue with that mechanic (other than just the raw math and how stupid it is in a game with Attack 2 ships).