SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Just now, Biophysical said:

Because I'm that guy now: 

I think quad FAA Rebels can hang with Miranda if 1-2 are BTLA4s with Ion Cannon.  Yeah, she's fast and can get away, but can definitely be hunted down and/or blocked effectively by FAA.  If she's just fleeing, then there's no shots anyway, and chasing her woth a Y-wing is a good expenditure of resources.  

I've got two wins against Dash/Miranda with Double Ion Ys/ Double Blue Novices using these tactics.

I've been considering two FAA BTLA4s with ion since our match... It all comes back to buying two of those bug shuttles though. It fits my play style so nicely though... Throw a wookie into the pot for stress-givings, find a fourth ship worthy to season with... Yes, I want those FAA droids.

17 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I've been considering two FAA BTLA4s with ion since our match... It all comes back to buying two of those bug shuttles though. It fits my play style so nicely though... Throw a wookie into the pot for stress-givings, find a fourth ship worthy to season with... Yes, I want those FAA droids.

I'm probably going to have to restrict it to Vassal and friendly proxies until it comes out in another set.  I'll happily buy one, from and bear it at two, but four is pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I'm probably going to have to restrict it to Vassal and friendly proxies until it comes out in another set.  I'll happily buy one, from and bear it at two, but four is pretty hard.

What we need is a Tournament Quality 4 Stressbug list to help justify buying 4 FAA Cards.

AP-5 — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 15
Leia Organa 4
Flight-Assist Astromech 1
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 24

"Zeb" Orrelios (Sheathipede) — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 16
Chewbacca 4
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 25

Ezra Bridger (Sheathipede) — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 17
Veteran Instincts 1
Han Solo 2
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 25

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 20
Veteran Instincts 1
Lando Calrissian 3
R3-A2 2
Ship Total: 26

8 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

What we need is a Tournament Quality 4 Stressbug list to help justify buying 4 FAA Cards.

While I can't fault your logic, it won't help me. I don't buy ships that don't appeal to my fine sensibilities. I only have one jumpmaster because I couldn't bring myself to purchase more ships that resembled a target in a Krayt spin cycle.

55 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Sorry to spam, but there's the list I've been jabbering about: 

Kylo Silencer, Lone Wolf or PTL, Advanced Sensors, Advanced Optics, Autothrusters, Title = 46/47

Major Stridan, FCS, Rebel Captive, Intel Agent, Pattern Analyzer, Advanced Optics, Engine Upgrade, Title = 48

The bid might be too big, but it does give Kylo a nice end-game cushion.  It's too bad he can't take a missile. 

I can't believe you, bringing actual content into this thread!  This has been my main problem with Kylo, unfortunately (no missiles).  Can't put enough damage into 100 points of miranda to pass the dps check regardless of wingmen, so I haven't been able to make it work.  Am considering just punting the matchup to play something I like, but I think that's a bad strategy.

48 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I think quad FAA Rebels can hang with Miranda if 1-2 are BTLA4s with Ion Cannon.  Yeah, she's fast and can get away, but can definitely be hunted down and/or blocked effectively by FAA.  If she's just fleeing, then there's no shots anyway, and chasing her woth a Y-wing is a good expenditure of resources.  

I've got two wins against Dash/Miranda with Double Ion Ys/ Double Blue Novices using these tactics.

FAA is so real.  I'm not convinced the ion is better than just burning everything to the ground with tlt, but you'd know better.  IIRC you said you ended up range 1-2 a lot more because of FAA, which makes sense.

58 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I think 2 FAA Ion Y's + Dash will be a decent list.

38 minutes ago, Brunas said:

FAA is so real.  I'm not convinced the ion is better than just burning everything to the ground with tlt, but you'd know better.  IIRC you said you ended up range 1-2 a lot more because of FAA, which makes sense.

I'm not sure about Ions against the field, lots of garbage unmodified shots.  It really hoses Miranda, though.  T70s and Y-wings don't care a ton about Miranda's TLT, however.  Sure, it does damage, but four have a looooot of hit points for 40 some points of Miranda to chew through.

I haven't played against her without the Ions yet, so I can't determine if the raw firepower would be fine without control.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was fine.  Flying in a wide box means Miranda gets shot 2-3 times and shoots back, or 1-2 times, and doesn't shoot.  Either way is just fine for Quad FAA.

47 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I can't believe you, bringing actual content into this thread!  This has been my main problem with Kylo, unfortunately (no missiles).  Can't put enough damage into 100 points of miranda to pass the dps check regardless of wingmen, so I haven't been able to make it work.  Am considering just punting the matchup to play something I like, but I think that's a bad strategy.

Maybe this is just nuts, but what if you ran a 4AP Miniswarm?  

Blocks and burns down Miranda pretty well.

Blocks and burns down Wookies pretty well.

Doesn't care much about enemy Kylo Crew.

Brings 11 total final salvo dice if th other side wants to fortress.

Fun to fly.

5 hours ago, drjkel said:

It's not just 2, however. A player got a ban out of it, and 2016 Canadian National had a player fudge with his dials, and number of torps on his Manaroo, on stream in the cut (this last one just got bounced out of our local community).

Taking my 7 year old son to tournament, I get to see how brazen people can be when they think their opponent won't pick up on it, and it's really shameful. It ranges to measuring arc wider than you should, to just skipping effects the other player isn't calling you on. I'm just glad that even with that going on, he still mostly wins, it'd be really depressing to have someone cheat just to manage to beat a 7 year old!

Wow that’s really scummy. (No pun intended). You need a new gaming group if there trying to constantly illegally  1-up your 7 year old. Glad he’s constantly winning. And now it’s more obvious this is a bigger problem than was originally portrayed. 

6 hours ago, Biophysical said:

I fully understand that this is not hard data, but two instances is much harder to shake off than one.  A much more punishing result for getting caught would seems appropriate. 

I thought they already had a more punishing result in place? Was this not settled with Parker’s incident, or did they only give him the harsher punishment because people made a noise about it? Hmm...

3 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Getting a hard number/percentage is not possible unless the cheaters all formally declare they are cheating in some recorded and countable way for us. I highly encourage them to do so for the sake of bringing some closure to this discussion and help determine if cheating is rampant or perhaps a single percentile of the community.

I see now. Agreed, I guess counting incidents falls into some shady grey area,Because without stream or some other verification it’s your word vs his, and would cause more problems than it solves with potential false accusations. maybe we need more spectators in X-wing. Or every table is stream table. 

1 minute ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I thought they already had a more punishing result in place? Was this not settled with Parker’s incident, or did they only give him the harsher punishment because people made a noise about it? Hmm...

An autoloss, even two losses, is no a huge deterrent if not cheating means you're going to lose.  Immediate ejection from the tournament seems like it should be the minimum.  A ban for some length of time would be more ideal.

4 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I see now. Agreed, I guess counting incidents falls into some shady grey area,Because without stream or some other verification it’s your word vs his, and would cause more problems than it solves with potential false accusations. maybe we need more spectators in X-wing. Or every table is stream table. 

HAH! Sorry, you read too much into my statement. I was just throwing that out there. It's hard to get a count on cheating, not just because it's a you vs him scenario, but also because there are those that get away with it! Unless we're only counting it as cheating if they get caught.

That said, even video can create false accusations. Something innocent, such as knocking over a die after results have already been verbally agreed upon, can be viewed from the camera as an attempt to cheat since the viewer doesn't hear the table-talk. I use this scenario as it's something that has just recently occurred for me...

3 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

That said, even video can create false accusations. Something innocent, such as knocking over a die after results have already been verbally agreed upon, can be viewed from the camera as an attempt to cheat since the viewer doesn't hear the table-talk. I use this scenario as it's something that has just recently occurred for me...

I had a guy cheat me in a Vassal tournament (you know, where there are logs of the game) and even when I reviewed the logs I wasn't 100% sure of what I was seeing until I showed it to someone who knew what go look for specifically.

5 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

HAH! Sorry, you read too much into my statement. I was just throwing that out there. It's hard to get a count on cheating, not just because it's a you vs him scenario, but also because there are those that get away with it! Unless we're only counting it as cheating if they get caught.

Ah, once again, krayts on top.... yeah the ones that get away with it suck, which leads into my next comment...

14 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

An autoloss, even two losses, is no a huge deterrent if not cheating means you're going to lose.  Immediate ejection from the tournament seems like it should be the minimum.  A ban for some length of time would be more ideal.

Bans would be ideal, question is how long and at what level? Say for example, Bob gets caught at the NYC regional cheating. This was the only one he planned to attend, so would you give him a wide area ban (2-6 months depending on offense and round it occurred in; as in don’t you dare sign up for that store championship) or a 1 regional ban (essentially skipping the next regional season so it equates to about a two year ban). I think if done right bans would be a good way to discourage cheating. Maybe have two types though. 3 strikes rule for slow play, excessive fidgeting, etc.

then there’s auto bans, such as dial switching, stacked damage deck, etc. 

Idk, but I do agree i think it would solve this issue for the most part.

3 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Wow that’s really scummy. (No pun intended). You need a new gaming group if there trying to constantly illegally  1-up your 7 year old. Glad he’s constantly winning. And now it’s more obvious this is a bigger problem than was originally portrayed.

It's not constantly happening, but I've seen it happen enough that I'm not surprised by it anymore, just disappointed. I've debated telling him about it, but he's already a 7 y.o. playing a grown up game with grown ups (many of them not used to kids, especially not ones that can legit play and follow rules), so I wouldn't want it to come to a kid said, he said situation. He wouldn't know when to drop it, since he doesn't get why someone would cheat to win. 

Thankfully, his reputation precedes him at this point, so I can count on quite a few other grown ups to keep an eye on his games, just in case someone's ego is bruised enough at getting curbstomped by a kid to consider fudging. 

I'm still debating taking him to a regional this year (or system open, if Toronto gets one), just because I'd like to keep my rosy perspective of the x-wing community as a whole, rather than test if it holds under circumstances where someone may think it's fair game because there's a lot on the line.

It's just a game and I wish everyone really internalized that. 

Just to revisit Chris's Great Miranda Lament, I've found anything with an Ion Cannon has always been very bad for Miranda.  I mentioned Ys with Ion Cannon Turrets and FAA, which work, but have a little difficulty missing out on that Range 3 band.  Gunboats look to be a possibility, but then you miss put on a real weapon unless you drop Linked Batteries.  From experience, Ion Pulse Missile equipped Quickdraw is amazing for jacking a key enemy ship at the worst time.  

On top of this, Poe is looking to be pretty solid with Advanced Optics, and Black One blunts Miranda's alpha strike hard.  With supporting ships getting the benefit of FAA, trip T70s might move up a tier.  I don't have a ton of confidence in it, but it's worth a second look with the new options, I think

42 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Just to revisit Chris's Great Miranda Lament, I've found anything with an Ion Cannon has always been very bad for Miranda.  I mentioned Ys with Ion Cannon Turrets and FAA, which work, but have a little difficulty missing out on that Range 3 band.  Gunboats look to be a possibility, but then you miss put on a real weapon unless you drop Linked Batteries.  From experience, Ion Pulse Missile equipped Quickdraw is amazing for jacking a key enemy ship at the worst time.  

On top of this, Poe is looking to be pretty solid with Advanced Optics, and Black One blunts Miranda's alpha strike hard.  With supporting ships getting the benefit of FAA, trip T70s might move up a tier.  I don't have a ton of confidence in it, but it's worth a second look with the new options, I think

I'm looking at ion cannon GUNBOATS at the moment, not really sure how it'll work out.

Linked battery is good? telling miranda I'm too good for her bombs, enjoy a range 1 fully modded kylo shot also seems good?

3 hours ago, drjkel said:

It's not constantly happening, but I've seen it happen enough that I'm not surprised by it anymore, just disappointed. I've debated telling him about it, but he's already a 7 y.o. playing a grown up game with grown ups (many of them not used to kids, especially not ones that can legit play and follow rules), so I wouldn't want it to come to a kid said, he said situation. He wouldn't know when to drop it, since he doesn't get why someone would cheat to win. 

Thankfully, his reputation precedes him at this point, so I can count on quite a few other grown ups to keep an eye on his games, just in case someone's ego is bruised enough at getting curbstomped by a kid to consider fudging. 

I'm still debating taking him to a regional this year (or system open, if Toronto gets one), just because I'd like to keep my rosy perspective of the x-wing community as a whole, rather than test if it holds under circumstances where someone may think it's fair game because there's a lot on the line.

It's just a game and I wish everyone really internalized that. 

Agreed. 

I think the system open typically has a lot of side events like the hanger bay so you may actually want to check into that if Toronto gets one.