SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I, a pronoun used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself, shall partake in the action of having the same opinion about something, in this case with the Krayts on the topic of metagaming, or any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game, within the X-Wing the Miniatures game which was designed by Jay Little and produced by Fantasy Flight Games that was released at Gen Con in 2012. It features tactical ship-to-ship dogfighting between various types of starfighters set in the fictional Star Wars universe. The game is said to be easy to learn and quick to play taking anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes from first set-up to battle's end. Each round both players give all their ships movement orders without knowing what their opponent is doing before resolving these orders while trying to shoot down enemy craft.

It is also my belief that the player base of the aforementioned X-Wing the Miniatures game, particularly those who identify themselves with the Podcasting groups of the Gold Squadron Podcast, a podcasting group based in the the Chicago metropolitan area, or Chicagoland, the metropolitan area that includes the city of Chicago, Illinois, and its suburbs and is the third largest metropolitan area in the United States, and the Mynock Squadron Podcast, the podcasting group of Southern California (colloquially known as SoCal) which is a geographic and cultural region that generally comprises California's 10 southernmost counties, should 'git gud', the piece of internet slang originating from the online Dark Souls community as a way to demean those who complained about Dark Souls extreme learning curve, the rate of a person's progress in gaining experience or new skills.

4 minutes ago, Mattman7306 said:

I, a pronoun used by a speaker to refer to himself or herself, shall partake in the action of having the same opinion about something, in this case with the Krayts on the topic of metagaming, or any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game, within the X-Wing the Miniatures game which was designed by Jay Little and produced by Fantasy Flight Games that was released at Gen Con in 2012. It features tactical ship-to-ship dogfighting between various types of starfighters set in the fictional Star Wars universe. The game is said to be easy to learn and quick to play taking anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes from first set-up to battle's end. Each round both players give all their ships movement orders without knowing what their opponent is doing before resolving these orders while trying to shoot down enemy craft.

It is also my belief that the player base of the aforementioned X-Wing the Miniatures game, particularly those who identify themselves with the Podcasting groups of the Gold Squadron Podcast, a podcasting group based in the the Chicago metropolitan area, or Chicagoland, the metropolitan area that includes the city of Chicago, Illinois, and its suburbs and is the third largest metropolitan area in the United States, and the Mynock Squadron Podcast, the podcasting group of Southern California (colloquially known as SoCal) which is a geographic and cultural region that generally comprises California's 10 southernmost counties, should 'git gud', the piece of internet slang originating from the online Dark Souls community as a way to demean those who complained about Dark Souls extreme learning curve, the rate of a person's progress in gaining experience or new skills.

So you agree?

11 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

Ladies and gentlemen....the Krayt Creed....

I posted this in the regional thread, but it seems like a Krayt topic, so I'm bringing it up here.  

Fact 1.)  We have at least two high profile instances in nationals level (or better) events where there was dial changing caught on camera.  

Assumption 1.)  Cheating is much less frequent on stream than it is off stream, because most people don't want to be caught cheating.

Assumption 2.)  Anyone cheating on stream is making that decision without considering being on stream, which means they either forget they're on stream, or the decision to cheat is not a significant decision to them and some part if them forgets that doing it on stream matters.  

Fact 2:  A substantial portion of the playtesters (to bring up this old gem) do not honor their NDA.  They're the sort of people for whom dishonesty in a game is an acceptable action.  The overlap between high level players and NDA breaking playtesters has not been established, but both are likely to be interested in playing in nationals/continentals/worlds.

Conclusion:  cheating is rampant in X-wing.  From what we've seen, I don't think it's possible to say how much cheating is happening, but it's got to be a lot. 

34 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I posted this in the regional thread, but it seems like a Krayt topic, so I'm bringing it up here.  

Fact 1.)  We have at least two high profile instances in nationals level (or better) events where there was dial changing caught on camera.  

Assumption 1.)  Cheating is much less frequent on stream than it is off stream, because most people don't want to be caught cheating.

Assumption 2.)  Anyone cheating on stream is making that decision without considering being on stream, which means they either forget they're on stream, or the decision to cheat is not a significant decision to them and some part if them forgets that doing it on stream matters.  

Fact 2:  A substantial portion of the playtesters (to bring up this old gem) do not honor their NDA.  They're the sort of people for whom dishonesty in a game is an acceptable action.  The overlap between high level players and NDA breaking playtesters has not been established, but both are likely to be interested in playing in nationals/continentals/worlds.

Conclusion:  cheating is rampant in X-wing.  From what we've seen, I don't think it's possible to say how much cheating is happening, but it's got to be a lot. 

I could see this. Sadly, I really can.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

I could see this. Sadly, I really can.

Real talk, I wouldnt want anyone to get the false impression that cheating is a big part of the  X-Wing community. 

Based on no #s at all ( not like you guys have stats on this either right? Or maybe its on List Juggler) I am going to go out on a limb and say it definitely is not super common. Its something to be aware of as possible sure but I have never felt the need to go into a game of X-Wing assuming I need to stress about monitoring for that kinda stuff. 

99% of the people I meet and play against are way more friendly and chill than that. If someone does cheat they are wasting significantly more energy than I am willing to spend even looking out for it. Why anyone would want to intentionally risk a welcome place in this community is sorta perplexing to me.

Advanced Sensors, TLT, and Re-Enforce though...yea that stuff is definitely cheating and is everywhere

Edited by Boom Owl

Just now, Boom Owl said:

Real talk, I wouldnt want anyone to get the false impression that cheating is a big part of the  X-Wing community. 

Based on no #s at all ( not like you guys have stats on this either right? Or maybe its on List Juggler) I am going to go out on a limb and say it definitely is not super common. Its something to be aware of as possible sure but I have never felt the need to go into a game of X-Wing assuming I need to stress about monitoring for that kinda stuff. 

99% of the people I meet and play against are way more friendly and chill than that. If someone does cheat they are wasting significantly more energy than I am willing to spend even looking out for it. Why anyone would want to intentionally risk a welcome place in this community is sorta perplexing to me.

Advanced Sensors, TLT, and Re-Enforce though...yea that stuff is definitely cheating and is everywhere.

Our group of demo guys in Battletech have pulled cheater dice, caught people not marking damage and generally being jerks if they aren't winning. That's not including stolen items and maybe unintentional misinterpretations of rules.

Xwing, as a TO, I haven't seen anything beyond some list building errors and guys not keeping up to FAQs. One major miscommunication at a table caused a walkout. Some questionably sloppy placements. My little tournaments so far topped out at 14-16 players and usually a fair bit less than that so the sample size is small.

Both communities are very good, friendly people. The tricky bit is a cheater isn't necessarily any less friendly as they smile and slip a dial.  I agree the percentage of players who cheat is likely low, but when you land 100+ people and put prizes on the line the odds are somebody is trying to find advantages.