Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

The problem there is no one starts really good with Soontir, so if you price him for his ceiling no one will bother to get there. 

 

Edit: sniped!

Really? Isnt that the entire appeal of 2.0? That you can actually learn something and improve?

I guess what your saying is kinda like 1.0 Corran.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Really? Isnt that the entire appeal of 2.0? That you can actually learn something and improve?

I’m still a little cynical, I think the appeal should be that it incentivizes gitting gud. If you price Soontir just under his potential, people are incentivized to climb to his potential. 

 

If he can only only ever be worth his points, people are incentivized to find easier things that are also worth their points. The current 1.0 state isn’t just that Miranda is the best, it is that you can get more than her points out of her without excessive effort. Phildo might be proof that skill ships are still good, but they aren’t better and it is a harder path. 

 

That is: I think I have a better chance of approaching Jeremy Howard levels of Miranda than Duncan Howard levels of Inquisitor. Both can get final tables of Canadian Nationals, so I am incentivized to play whichever has the less steep leaning curve. If the Inquisitor had a slightly higher ceiling, it doesn’t matter if I think it is harder, I’ll try that. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something of note... five Xwings might be better than I’ve given it credit for. I’m not exactly practicing with it, a game every ten days or so, but I’ve been impressed by the maneuvering options and the ability to strike from all angles. I’ve yet to lose with it, but my match count is laughably small.

That said... four Xwings and a Uwing might be fun as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drjkel said:

I dare you to break my League's planned escalation tournament format harder than I did (1.0 only, shame be upon us), they're going 75pts/105pts/140pts:

Round 1: Hera + Zeb, standard GhostFenn build without the engine upgrade.

Round 2: Add standard flight assist Fenn, Hera gets her engine back.

Round 3: Add Crimson specialist with tragedy simulator, protons, silos, and plating.

Sure, it doesn't have a bid, but how much of a nightmare would that be?

make it a Kanan/Accuracy Corrector+rey+Dash Crew Ghost instead. Engine is what makes Fennghost tick. 

Round 2 and 3, I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Something of note... five Xwings might be better than I’ve given it credit for. I’m not exactly practicing with it, a game every ten days or so, but I’ve been impressed by the maneuvering options and the ability to strike from all angles. I’ve yet to lose with it, but my match count is laughably small.

That said... four Xwings and a Uwing might be fun as well. 

I just got absolutely stomped proxying it versus a Poe/K-Wing list, so I think it's good. My list was sort of janky (not Miranda, Poe had BB-8 and PTL), but I think the 5X list is still solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AEIllingworth said:

That is: I think I have a better chance of approaching Jeremy Howard levels of Miranda than Duncan Howard levels of Inquisitor. Both can get final tables of Canadian Nationals, so I am incentivized to play whichever has the less steep leaning curve. If the Inquisitor had a slightly higher ceiling, it doesn’t matter if I think it is harder, I’ll try that. 

Part of it depends on what playstyles FFG wants to encourage. I kinda expect Soontir to be between 70-65 pts. Less than Vader but more than Grand Quiz and about equal with a generic Defender. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I guess it depends on what playstyles FFG wants to encourage. I kinda expect Soontir to be between 70-65 pts. Less than Vader but more than Grand Quiz and about equal with a generic Defender. 

Hmm... is it to crazy to think he might be in the 55 point range? you buy a pocket ace that relies on skillful flying and fill the rest of your squad with either big beefy support ship(s) or a mini swarm of 3-4 ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Hmm... is it to crazy to think he might be in the 55 point range? you buy a pocket ace that relies on skillful flying and fill the rest of your squad with either big beefy support ship(s) or a mini swarm of 3-4 ships.

I may need to catch up on terminology but Soontir is an Ace of Legend. Not some poedonk pocket ace. 

Real talk maybe your right? Though we already kinda know that even Vader can fit with a mini swarm of 4 ties at 70+.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

I may need to catch up on terminology but Soontir is an Ace of Legend. Not some poedonk pocket ace. 

Real talk maybe your right? Though we already kinda know that even Vader can fit with a mini swarm of 4 ties at 70+.

I use “pocket ace” to describe any ship I can get at Ps 8 or above for under 30 points. (In 1E anyway) (Tycho, Jake, Howlrunner, Inqusitor, Cracken, etc) with 2E I am simply wondering if Soontir will have enough of a point difference that he will have more list options than just + arc dodger + palp shuttle, is all. With Vader + 4 ties being close to 200 then signs point to yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I use “pocket ace” to describe any ship I can get at Ps 8 or above for under 30 points. (In 1E anyway) (Tycho, Jake, Howlrunner, Inqusitor, Cracken, etc) with 2E I am simply wondering if Soontir will have enough of a point difference that he will have more list options than just + arc dodger + palp shuttle, is all. With Vader + 4 ties being close to 200 then signs point to yes.

Definitely has to be less than Vader, as you say.  No Force, 2 less HP, worse pilot ability.  5 TIEs might be too much, but at least 4 better TIEs should be an option.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Biophysical said:

Definitely has to be less than Vader, as you say.  No Force, 2 less HP, worse pilot ability.  5 TIEs might be too much, but at least 4 better TIEs should be an option.  

For sure - that soontir is worse than 1.0 soontir, and this fits fine:

Unnamed Squadron (90)
Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor    27
Push the Limit    3
Ship Total: 30
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12

I doubt 5 TIEs would be too much.  Full Soontir + 5 obsidians used to be a list that was at least decent, but it didn't really stand the test of time haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Legend tells of a legendary warrior whose kung fu ace skills were the stuff of legend

I always loved the prologue

"I see you like to chew - maybe you would like to chew... ON MY FIST!"
the warrior said nothing - for his mouth was full. But then he swallowed and said
"Enough talk. Let's fight!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brunas said:

For sure - that soontir is worse than 1.0 soontir, and this fits fine:

Unnamed Squadron (90)
Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor    27
Push the Limit    3
Ship Total: 30
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12
     
Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter    12
Ship Total: 12

I doubt 5 TIEs would be too much.  Full Soontir + 5 obsidians used to be a list that was at least decent, but it didn't really stand the test of time haha.

20 NuPoints for EPT, mod, and bid seems okay if base Soontir is 60.  I feel like that's a squad I can work with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

So, how much would you pay for 2.0 targeting computer on Soontir?  How about a generic interceptor?

Without PTL, my interest in Targeting Computer has certainly diminished, but 

7 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

 

Let’s be real - do we even know how to price the chassis? 

Yeah, this.  I'm very uncertain about how much the bonus moves are worth in this brave new 2.0 world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

Without PTL, my interest in Targeting Computer has certainly diminished, but 

Yeah, this.  I'm very uncertain about how much the bonus moves are worth in this brave new 2.0 world.

I think if you're bringing Fel to kill things you probably just put predator on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...