SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I am saddened by the apparent lack of plaques for store champs this year. I was planning on rolling through with total meta garbage to stack them up. 2.0 cards mean nothing to me and orange rules have nothing on my SOS rules (even though they're the "not as cool blue").

My son won't even play at home anymore and isn't interested in going to tournaments period now. Thanks Gold Squadron :(

But I only have the one, it's unfair!

I blame all but one LGS not ordering store kits last year, and credit Kath and Ketsu for the stellar work they put in on a day where I wasn't feeling like playing X-wing at all. I had arcs, so many arcs, it was wholesome!

41 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I still have no clue where any store champs are

I'm (theoretically) running one June 30th, but the store owner refuses to post the event until his distributor guarantees that he will be able to get a kit by then. It would also be nice to put up pics of prizes that aren't from Reddit. This whole "lack of communication" thing starts at FFG and rolls downhill...

39 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I still have no clue where any store champs are

I have no idea when or where any of the chicago ones even are.

I'm going to go to one, maybe 2- I just want 1 Krennic (but not really) and 3 copies of Juke. I'll be trading any 1.0-only **** I get for more copies of Juke.

Also- The truly baffling. The first place comes with a Regional bye. There are no more regionals...

1 minute ago, catachanninja said:

I suspect part of the reason for no plaques is cost,  all the double sided prizes probabaly brought the cost of everything up a bit.

Double sided cards do not increase cost. At least not meaningfully- The cards had color backs already.

2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Three plastic cards will add to production costs, getting rid of the plaques probably made them justifiable?  I'd rather have the spot glosses over the plaques tbh, still have no idea what we're supposed to do with things like store champ plaques

I would be super in on the spot gloss cards if they are 2.0 compatible.

1 minute ago, Timathius said:

You gotta factor in the soft costs for those plaques too they add a lot of weight, require more packaging and are another vendor you need to depend on. That and their actual cost together probably saved them a lot. 

Good thing they can shift those savings to have timely articles for OP...

27 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Three plastic cards will add to production costs, getting rid of the plaques probably made them justifiable?  I'd rather have the spot glosses over the plaques tbh, still have no idea what we're supposed to do with things like store champ plaques

If I cheat, can I get more Krayt trophies instead?

I just prefer having things that I will look at years down the line when I'm out of this game. Plaques and even can coins look nice in a display case and having them displayed will bring back memories of all the good times I had playing this game. On the other hand, I super won't care about spot gloss alt arts years from now.

36 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I thought we were supposed to make trophy cases like Duncan?

2 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I just prefer having things that I will look at years down the line when I'm out of this game. Plaques and even can coins look nice in a display case and having them displayed will bring back memories of all the good times I had playing this game. On the other hand, I super won't care about spot gloss alt arts years from now.

Alt arts can be shadowboxed with ships.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

The same thing you do with slot-gloss plastic for a game that expires two months after you get it: put in on display somewhere and forget about it.

3 hours ago, Brunas said:

I'm really trying to figure out if 2.0 krennic is good.  Has anyone found some way to get a target lock and keep it? I guess if reapers have system slots?  Lambdas don't have target lock which makes life hard, but Krennic gives target lock... do I really want to be target locking with a lambda?

Little late to the party but the 2.0 Krennic crew card ADDS a target lock action to the equipped ship. It can be seen on the card.

4 hours ago, Brunas said:

Display them in your office with all the other meaningless work related plaques you've accumulated that everyone insists must be on display? That TIE fighter sure is prettier than my other plaques.

I haven't crossed that line yet, but my boss's boss, who is a HUGE Star Wars fan keeps insisting I should.

15 hours ago, Brunas said:

So with what I've seen-

- Cardboard cards cost pennies- 4 cents or less(probably less). Adding more cards to a kit is only meaningful on a large scale.

- those 2 plastic cards add a dollar or less to production costs.

- Challenge coins cost from a dollar to 3 dollars

- Metal tokens are likely 10-25 cents each to make.

- unsure on Acrylic production costs, bug Big Acrylic.

In the old kits, it wouldn't surprise me if the plaque cost more than the rest of the kit combined to produce.