SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Just now, Wiredin said:

which in and of itself is pretty impressive.

I mean, sure?  I don't really know though.  In the early days, most of the common commenters were popular podcasters, who don't have that anonymity to hide behind, and were shutting down people who were using ad hominem, then, @Tlfj200 just started shutting down anyone else who attacked people.  Otherwise, most of this thread is an echo chamber that no one else joins into because it is too long to jump in with being around from the beginning, and I don't think most of the forum wants to do that.  Regardless, I think it is sad that this thread is the exception, not the norm.  Part of why I avoid posting on regular forums much.

Ah, the early days of this thread. When I noticed it had burgeoned to 20 pages overnight, read all 20 pages, and decided it was the weirdest thing ever and was deathly afraid of it for the next 100 or so pages.

And then the rest of the forum got so bad that I sought refuge here and realized that it's almost as nice here as the painting subforum. But, you know, with four times the post frequency.

Also, I still find it hilarious that the ordnance vs. ordinance debate is contentious enough to dumpster entire otherwise wholesome threads. And FFG's ""moderation"" actually bugs me, because they shut down threads that are 90% good because of one or two trolls, and then leave the true dumpster fires alone. 

3 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Also, I still find it hilarious that the ordnance vs. ordinance debate is contentious enough to dumpster entire otherwise wholesome threads. And FFG's ""moderation"" actually bugs me, because they shut down threads that are 90% good because of one or two trolls, and then leave the true dumpster fires alone. 

I think they were scared of racism/other stuff happening in that thread, which, it totally would have.  shutting it down may have been for the good of us all.

7 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

I think they were scared of racism/other stuff happening in that thread, which, it totally would have.  shutting it down may have been for the good of us all.

Oh, yeah, I see it now. That was a bad thread.

I wish we had a system to vote people off the island. If FFG banned a few more trolls, we'd be a lot better off. 

Also, on that topic, if you guys see an account called @kieransi2  around here, you'll know what happened. Just saying. It's a distinct possibility if FFG calls my bluff.

Edited by Kieransi

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

Oh, yeah, I see it now. That was a bad thread.

I wish we had a system to vote people off the island. If FFG banned a few more trolls, we'd be a lot better off. 

Also, on that topic, if you guys see an account called @kieransi2  around here, you'll know what happened. Just saying. It's a distinct possibility if FFG calls my bluff.

Why would they ban you?

3 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Why would they ban you?

Well, as I recall, I technically started that last ordnance vs. ordinance dumpster fire. 

And before that I started the Quickdraw nerf conspiracy.

And I made a fake news article in the Which Preview Will Be Out Today thread.

And I said to a certain person whose username is the same as a TIE Defender pilot that they have added nothing positive to the community in their short stay here. 

And I got way too political on the off-topic forum (granted I'm a libertarian which is usually more accepted than the two major parties).

And before that I went nuts defending the Last Jedi and every character from it, resulting in several threads being flat-out deleted. 

And I got way too salty at an Armada player who I mistook for a nerf-herder (in fairness I actually apologized for that one).

And I told a certain frequent poster with Marine in their username that they never listen to me anyway so why should I care about their opinion.

And before those I said the Jumpmaster nerf was dumb and a bad idea and unneccesary.

And back in 2016 when politics were funny instead of depressing I made too many political jokes. 

So, just saying, it's a possibility. :)

Just now, Wiredin said:

in Canada politics is still on the cusp of being depressing... 

No, it's depressing. Ontario is doing it's best to mimic the US on a national level.

• Ford - oh no, not again. Not another Ford.
  • Wynne - uhg
  • Um... who was the NDP leader again? She's doing her best to make the NDP invisible, it seems... Oh she's not trying to do that?

5 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

No, it's depressing. Ontario is doing it's best to mimic the US on a national level.

• Ford - oh no, not again. Not another Ford.
  • Wynne - uhg
  • Um... who was the NDP leader again? She's doing her best to make the NDP invisible, it seems... Oh she's not trying to do that?

don't want to jump down that rabbit hole. but the Ford thing is entertaining. At least for me. but I'm on the other side of the country. That's all I will say on the topic to prevent dumpster fires. 

So, injecting FFG subject matter in, without putting the thread on topic, I'm looking at Imperial Assault again. I've been enjoying the campaign setting, have a bunch of minis painted, and now that the Sabine shaped hole in the system has been filled by a regen Sabine, I'm looking at skirmish again. Third time's the charm? I need to find somebody though to teach me what the heck I've been doing wrong in skirmish... First two games have been so one sided that I didn't find enjoyment in winning or losing.... (1 of each)

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

So, injecting FFG subject matter in, without putting the thread on topic, I'm looking at Imperial Assault again. I've been enjoying the campaign setting, have a bunch of minis painted, and now that the Sabine shaped hole in the system has been filled by a regen Sabine, I'm looking at skirmish again. Third time's the charm? I need to find somebody though to teach me what the heck I've been doing wrong in skirmish... First two games have been so one sided that I didn't find enjoyment in winning or losing.... (1 of each)

IA is really fun but I haven't been able to find an online resource that actually helps much.  Just poking people that are good at it for advice is probably not a scalable solution!

Actually, on the topic of forum covfefes present and past, I've wanted to do this for a while. What is your favorite (funniest, most insane, whatever) forum insanity of all time? Options include

PaulHeaverPhonegate

dialgate

TLJgate

FuzzyWookieFakeFAQgate

"Introducing... the scrub."gate

"Is ... a crutch?"gate

DeadeyeNerfgate

NewCoreSetgate

PhantomNerfgate

PaintingForumgate

6 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I like IA a lot but I only play campaigns. I would assume skirmish is just about getting in more practice though - IA doesn't seem like a super difficult game. 

I'm actually seriously considering trying to get IA skirmish going at my FLGS.

10 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Options include

Small Base Big Box Gate is still my all time favorite. 

In hindsight the Tie Silencer is probably the best value you can find of any expansion since Heroes of the Resistance. 

Simply because the model looks amazing and advanced optics is so ridiculously good. 

latest?cb=20171122224657

Yes its basically just a bad version of Rey Crew....but you can put it on soooo many things and they are instantly stronger. 

Edited by Boom Owl

2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

IA is really fun but I haven't been able to find an online resource that actually helps much.  Just poking people that are good at it for advice is probably not a scalable solution!

That's been my take on it. I read an article and walk away more confused than before I started. I mean, sure, I can netlist, but there is some high level strategy hidden in the play that I haven't been able to put my finger on yet.

2 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I would assume skirmish is just about getting in more practice though - IA doesn't seem like a super difficult game. 

It's... different enough. We've been pretty successful in beating each mission first try in campaign mode... I played Imperials twice in skirmish though and literally walked through a Rebel force, Vader spelling doom upon the Rebel forces, flanked by a pair of Imperial guards on approach. There were objectives, but I had the Rebels cut off and just pushed...

42 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

And then the rest of the forum got so bad that I sought refuge here and realized that it's almost as nice here as the painting subforum. But, you know, with four times the post frequency.

Amen to that. The painting subforum is a great place to escape from the constant doom-saying on the rest of the forums.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Small Base Big Box Gate is still my all time favorite. 

In hindsight the Tie Silencer is probably the best value you can find of any expansion since Heroes of the Resistance. 

Simply because the model looks amazing and advanced optics is so ridiculously good. 

I agree

The Autothrusters alone are worth it, right? 

I wonder how many StarVipers have ended up in garbage cans over the years as Imperial players opened the pack, took out the 'thrusters, and promptly trashed everything else.