SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

There's still fun in X-Wing... The social aspect, forcing it back into a beer & pretzels minis game with alt formats and such... I may not do any standard tournaments though for a few months. There's also no way I load Vassal at any point because that's too much like playing the lottery, where winning the lottery means I get to have fun.

Just now, Biophysical said:

I fully support the podcast's right to publish whatever they want.  I'm not paying for it, and all that.  If I could request a favor, though, please let me know when you put out an episode that has somewhere within one standard deviation of average Krayt content.

Very fair.

Basically, when something actually changes.

so if no faq, maybe whatever that hyperspace report is? Assuming it’s not just more DOA wave stuff :-/

I'm really loving the X-wing forums right now.  "X-wing is fine!  It's Diverse!  Tournaments are big, and that shows casual is great!  If you're not having fun, just try harder!"  Most importantly, people are saying X-wing is dying because it is getting to be a bad game.  By contrast, Armada jokes about being dead because of a lack of news / releases, and generally agrees that it is fun right now.  Super cool.

1 minute ago, Do I need a Username said:

I'm really loving the X-wing forums right now.  "X-wing is fine!  It's Diverse!  Tournaments are big, and that shows casual is great!  If you're not having fun, just try harder!"  Most importantly, people are saying X-wing is dying because it is getting to be a bad game.  By contrast, Armada jokes about being dead because of a lack of news / releases, and generally agrees that it is fun right now.  Super cool.

Translation: The forum users don't know what they're talking about and are just blasting unsupported opinions and anecdotes at each other.

45 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I fully support the podcast's right to publish whatever they want.  I'm not paying for it, and all that.  If I could request a favor, though, please let me know when you put out an episode that has somewhere within one standard deviation of average Krayt content.

We'll post a PSA somewhere, no worries

19 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

J.K.-Simmons-Laugh.gif

It is actually a surprisingly wholesome place (usually)...

Also, fun fact, I liked that guy in the role of J. Jonah Jameson enough that it was enough to make me watch every single episode of the first (and only) season of Growing Up Fischer. Which actually wasn't that good of a show, now that I think of it.

I do most of my meta analysis by keeping close tabs on the various sources of group think ( forums, podcasts, reddit, mynock facebook, etc. ) Its usually a very reliably way to predict what will happen and has never failed me since X-Wing is so popular you can basically just use the # of times a list is mentioned on the internet as a way to predict the meta or back up the direction of the actual data.  

Either way always good to have those gut feelings confirmed.

This is incredibly helpful. Thank you for sharing this again @Tlfj200

2018* Count Percentage Rank Cumulative % of the Meta
Ghost Fenn 42 13.6% 1  
100 Point Ace 40 13.0% 2 26.6%
NymRanda 28 9.1% 3 35.7%
Yorr Aces 19 6.2% 4 41.9%
Rey + 16 5.2% 5 47.1%
Dash + 13 4.2% 6 51.3%
4 Ship Rebel 12 3.9% 7 55.2%
Kylo + 12 3.9% 8 59.1%
Imperial Alpha 10 3.2% 9 62.3%
Double Caster 10 3.2% 10 65.5%
Asajj + 10 3.2% 11 68.7%
RAClo 10 3.2% 12 71.9%
Triple Imperial 9 2.9% 13 74.8%
Bombs 8 2.6% 14 77.4%
Triple Wookies 8 2.6% 15 80.0%
Palp Aces 6 1.9% 16 81.9%
Scum Alpha 5 1.6% 17 83.5%
Dual Aces 4 1.3% 18 84.8%
Two Ship Scum 3 1.0% 19 85.8%
Quad Wookies 3 1.0% 20 86.8%
Bomb Wall 3 1.0% 21 87.8%
Brobots 3 1.0% 22 88.8%
2bQD 3 1.0% 23 89.8%
3bQD 3 1.0% 24 90.8%
Edited by Boom Owl

18 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

It is actually a surprisingly wholesome place (usually)...

Also, fun fact, I liked that guy in the role of J. Jonah Jameson enough that it was enough to make me watch every single episode of the first (and only) season of Growing Up Fischer. Which actually wasn't that good of a show, now that I think of it.

i don't think they could have picked a better actor for the role of JJ. 

I wonder if Avengers Infinity War will have as much salt as TLJ or Solo?

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

i don't think they could have picked a better actor for the role of JJ. 

I wonder if Avengers Infinity War will have as much salt as TLJ or Solo?

I dunno, people are excellent at salt. I wouldn't put anything past them. 

I personally probably won't watch Infinity War in the theater. The Marvel movies these days are ok, I just feel like they're too much action and too little plot. Spider Man 2 (the original one with Toby Macguire) was in my opinion the best superhero movie ever. I don't think the new Marvel canon is going to top that. 

And I'm not trying to be salty here, I'm willing to bet the movie is fine. I just think everything that needed to be said about the big-name superheroes has been said. I genuinely have enjoyed the new Marvel movies that focus on more "obscure" heroes (in quotes because they're still famous, they're just not one of the top 5-10 big-name heroes). Ant Man and Black Panther are really enjoyable as stand-alone movies, which is how I judge most movies at this point, just because I don't like it when all of the big movies are just sequels/remakes. 

Don't worry, I've figured it all out! You see, there are options.ini files in My Documents as well as in the install directory. I finally got C&C Generals running on Windows 10 without that annoying DirectX error message.

X-wing wise, I had to tell my 8 year old that flying Harpoon QD, Harpoon Vader, and OL was not the way to get his 6 year old brother to like the game. Especially since the younger brother had picked a Y-wing, 2 A-wings and Wedge as a list. The harpoons were removed and I coached the younger one to a narrow victory, though the matchup was meant to be unbalanced points-wise.

17 minutes ago, drjkel said:

Don't worry, I've figured it all out! You see, there are options.ini files in My Documents as well as in the install directory. I finally got C&C Generals running on Windows 10 without that annoying DirectX error message.

oh man, the hours I spent in the options.ini files making up strange crap... finding stuff they never intended for the game. making grenadiers throw nukes. oh yea. those were amazing days. I was god of C&C land...

17 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I dunno, people are excellent at salt. I wouldn't put anything past them. 

I personally probably won't watch Infinity War in the theater. The Marvel movies these days are ok, I just feel like they're too much action and too little plot. Spider Man 2 (the original one with Toby Macguire) was in my opinion the best superhero movie ever. I don't think the new Marvel canon is going to top that. 

And I'm not trying to be salty here, I'm willing to bet the movie is fine. I just think everything that needed to be said about the big-name superheroes has been said. I genuinely have enjoyed the new Marvel movies that focus on more "obscure" heroes (in quotes because they're still famous, they're just not one of the top 5-10 big-name heroes). Ant Man and Black Panther are really enjoyable as stand-alone movies, which is how I judge most movies at this point, just because I don't like it when all of the big movies are just sequels/remakes. 

I haven't watched Dr. Strange or Panther yet... but Thor Ragnarok was unbelievably fun. Guardians vol 1 has been my favorite Marvel to date tho. My son and I watched Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Iron Man 3, and Homecoming over the past week. He's 4 and really digging it, which is fun. 

I think the first 2 Toby Spiders were better than any of the recent ones for sure, but Amazing 1 wasn't terrible, I actually quite enjoyed it. For me, when it comes Specifically to the MCU:

1. Guardians 1
  2. Iron Man 1
  3. Civil War
  4. Iron Man 3
  5. Avengers
  6. Ragnorak
  7. Ant Man
  8. Winter Soldier
  9. Guardians 2
  10. Ultron
  11. Thor
  12. Captain America
  13. Home Coming
  14. Iron Man 2

And I put almost all of those above other super hero movies. I think Justice League and Wonder Woman would make it into my top 10 and Toby's Spider 1/2 would be right below Thor for me. 

Oh, and all the X-Men movies aside from First Class and the very first X-men are PURE garbage. the one with Apocalypse was nearly unwatchable for me. 

Edited by Wiredin

2 minutes ago, player2072913 said:

....aaaannnd the one other kind of wholesome thread just got locked. I'm out guys. 

wait, what?

And found it!  And quickly saw why it was locked!  No matter how weird this thread has gotten, it has managed to stay away from ad homeniem and that toxic BS, so that's probably why we can get away with almost everything else.

Edited by Do I need a Username

3 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

wait, what?

And found it!  And quickly saw why it was locked!  No matter how weird this thread has gotten, it has managed to stay away from ad homeniem and that toxic BS, so that's probably why we can get away with almost everything else.

which in and of itself is pretty impressive.