SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

So I am going to Worlds for the first time (stars aligned for me to go) and how has the World's meta been in the past? I plan on bringing Dash/Poe (mostly because Dash is my best ship and my build doesn't have enough points for a 45 point Miranda) - my goal is to make day with at least a 4-2. Am I just lost at the list building stage not bringing FML/Fenn Ghost/Final Form or will I see a large variety of lists to play against?

I think dash Poe does fine enough vs most things that you can afford to punt to ghost Fenn if you're just trying to go positive?

It's hard to say though. There could be a lot of ghost Fenn as it's worlds, or it could continue to not see much representation until cuts etc

3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Does omega leader prevent re-enforce and other ships from taking Lowhricks evade?

If OL has lowhhrick locked, he can't use it to add a result to his own defense.

If OL has another ship locked, Lowhhrick can't spend it on that other ship since the defender is modifying their results.

If OL has lowhhrick locked, he can give it to another ship to add a result.

8 hours ago, viedit said:

If OL has lowhhrick locked, he can't use it to add a result to his own defense.

If OL has another ship locked, Lowhhrick can't spend it on that other ship since the defender is modifying their results.

If OL has lowhhrick locked, he can give it to another ship to add a result.

Now I just need to work out a way to always be in range one.

Edited by Boom Owl
*oh no bombs

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

I think dash Poe does fine enough vs most things that you can afford to punt to ghost Fenn if you're just trying to go positive?

It's hard to say though. There could be a lot of ghost Fenn as it's worlds, or it could continue to not see much representation until cuts etc

The thing is that I think I have a 40% shot against a good Ghost Fenn and closer to 50-50 against the average one. Dash with only Lone Wolf on Defense takes~ 2.8 dmg a round against quad TLT. I have a reasonable chance of killing Fenn in two rounds and I should kill him in 3 rounds with unmodded dice. If I can trade Dash for Fenn and Half Points on the Ghost, I think I am fine. Of course, my goal will be to take range three shots on Fenn while being safely outside of the range that the Ghost can boost into, if I manage that should be an easy win. It won't be easy, but I know my win condition and I think it is achievable. And that is just assuming that my Poe is just a pile of points flying away. I just know that I can play FML and dumpster Ghost Fenn, but I know I am much better playing Dash. I'm not good enough the snowflake something that will counter the meta, just adjust what is in the meta.

2 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

The thing is that I think I have a 40% shot against a good Ghost Fenn and closer to 50-50 against the average one. Dash with only Lone Wolf on Defense takes~ 2.8 dmg a round against quad TLT. I have a reasonable chance of killing Fenn in two rounds and I should kill him in 3 rounds with unmodded dice. If I can trade Dash for Fenn and Half Points on the Ghost, I think I am fine. Of course, my goal will be to take range three shots on Fenn while being safely outside of the range that the Ghost can boost into, if I manage that should be an easy win. It won't be easy, but I know my win condition and I think it is achievable. And that is just assuming that my Poe is just a pile of points flying away. I just know that I can play FML and dumpster Ghost Fenn, but I know I am much better playing Dash. I'm not good enough the snowflake something that will counter the meta, just adjust what is in the meta.

That's a really good game plan then.

Solid.

42 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Beware the primary arc.  If he gets two turns where he can boost into range 2 of you that plus TLT follow up can really throw off your calculations.

1 minute ago, viedit said:

Beware the primary arc.  If he gets two turns where he can boost into range 2 of you that plus TLT follow up can really throw off your calculations.

The tlt is almost always more damage than the primary, even at range 1 when draw their fire is involved. It feels wrong, but the slow tickling to death kills you faster than a 4 die primary would.

3 minutes ago, Brunas said:

The tlt is almost always more damage than the primary, even at range 1 when draw their fire is involved. It feels wrong, but the slow tickling to death kills you faster than a 4 die primary would.

Anecdotal evidence on my part but that freaking Ezra focus to crit off the Maul re-roll always seemed to skew the numbers for me.  

10 minutes ago, Brunas said:

That Ezra crit being the wildcard if their shields are low enough. I've dropped some nasty crits on people with the primary during practice games that completely flipped the game

Nvm: Just noticed DTF mention...

Edited by Makaze

4 minutes ago, Makaze said:

That Ezra crit being the wildcard if their shields are low enough. I've dropped some nasty crits on people with the primary during practice games that completely flipped the game

Nvm: Just noticed DTF mention...

I'm not sure where DTF comes into a Lone Wolf Dash + Poe list.  If you are doing DTF, then you aren't triggering lone wolf.  DTF is range one only.  

31 minutes ago, viedit said:

That is why I have EU upgrade on Dash. The idea is that with proper rock placement and range control, he can't boost into range 2. If he wants to chase Dash while Poe flanks Fenn, I am okay with that.

A range two shot against tokenless Lone Wolf Dash is better than a TLT on average, but if I have a focus the TLT is the stronger shot.  

I swear if I am giving tips against a Ghost Fenn player who I will get matched up against at worlds, I expect a beer (or at least a hug).

Edited by Scott Pilgrim2

13 minutes ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

That is why I have EU upgrade on Dash. The idea is that with proper rock placement and range control, he can't boost into range 2. If he wants to chase Dash while Poe flanks Fenn, I am okay with that.

A range two shot against tokenless Lone Wolf Dash is better than a TLT on average, but if I have a focus the TLT is the stronger shot.  

I swear if I am giving tips against a Ghost Fenn player who I will get matched up against at worlds, I expect a beer (or at least a hug).

How much practice have you had against Ghost/Fenn? 

From my experience at Adepticon, a lot of Ghost/Fenn players don't seem to realize it's a kiting list, not a jousting list.  Don't be afraid to ram Dash into the Ghost to take away the boost, allowing a LW/focus shot on Fenn with no Ghost return shot on Dash.

Edited by gennataos

3 hours ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

my goal will be to take range three shots on Fenn while being safely outside of the range that the Ghost can boost into, if I manage that should be an easy win.

I can't imagine a game situation that causes this to happen. What Ghost-Fenn player is sending you Fenn on a platter while the Ghost stays out of range? Sounds like an easy win, but mostly because that opponent is an idiot.

1 minute ago, skotothalamos said:

I can't imagine a game situation that causes this to happen. What Ghost-Fenn player is sending you Fenn on a platter while the Ghost stays out of range? Sounds like an easy win, but mostly because that opponent is an idiot.

Maybe they've played too much Ghost/Fenn and lost the will to win?

2 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Well the goal would be to circle around the board until you are behind the Fenn - probably unlikely, but that would be the goal. Even if I can't, can at least make it a fight.

21 hours ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

The thing is that I think I have a 40% shot against a good Ghost Fenn and closer to 50-50 against the average one. Dash with only Lone Wolf on Defense takes~ 2.8 dmg a round against quad TLT.

Is that based on two separate TLT's shots each with focus? i.e. http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=AgAAAgBAgAEIMEAAAAgAAAIAAAA?

It's worse with Maul/Ezra ghost... 3.16 avg (http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=AgAAAgBIgAAJEEAAAAgAAAIAAAA)
Or even acc corrector ghost... 3.14 avg (http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=AgAAAgDogAAdEEAAAAgAAAIAAAA).

Of course if you have focus you're in much better shape as you can often use that to dodge one... 2.55 avg (http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=EgAAAgBIgAAJEEAAAAgAAAIAAAA). Remember that Lone Wolf is most useful when you have focus to spend on defense as well.

Similarly with so many shots coming in an extra die means a lot, so ensuring that you are always obstructed also drops you to 2.56 on average, even without focus (http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=AwAAAgBIgAAJEEAAAAgAAAIAAAA). Focus + obstruction gets you down to 1.72, which is starting to sound a lot more reasonable to me (http://xwing.gateofstorms.net/alpha/?q=EwAAAgBIgAAJEEAAAAgAAAIAAAA).

You definitely have to draw this out as long as possible before dash dies because if you don't kill Fenn and get half points on the ghost in that time you might be in some trouble. You have to fly Poe super carefully until Fenn dies of course, often not even getting any real shots before that.

Thus my recommendation - particularly with Engine - is to just ensure that all the shots you are taking are obstructed, and ideally you have a focus available for defense as much as possible (harder with sensor jammer of course). Obstruction hurts your shot much less than it hurts theirs as you are effectively getting 4 more dice with mods and they are getting one more without any.

What would you rather have against Ghost Fenn? 

• 14+ Red Dice
  • Two PS11 Ships that can move after the Coordinated Boost
  • Two Ships that can passively modify red dice
  • Bombs
  • Ghost/Fenn

What would you rather have against Miranda/Lowhrick/Fenn?

• 14+ Red Dice
  • Two Ships that can passively modify red dice
  • A Big Base to block Lowhrick before he has a chance to wookie
  • Bombs
  • Miranda/Lowhrick/Fenn

Bold the bullet you think is the most correct.