SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

54 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

oo, can we do requests?

I mean, I always have.  They just don't listen to them.  Current request: Live Co-op Red alert 3 Missions with the special rule of you have to take a drink at every plot "twist".  Possibly make the Co-op partner @catachanninja but he might be OP in Drunk RTS games.

Edited by Do I need a Username

40 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

You absolute babies haven’t seen Muppet Treasure Island AND don’t know who Tim Curry is? I might not be a listener any more. Jesus.

@Chumbalaya, you’re still cool. 

It's the second best Muppet Movie after Christmas Carol! I still sing "Cabin Fever".

1 hour ago, defkhan1 said:

Oh! Oh! Can I include eroge in that too? I'd recommend any of the Rance games.

P.S. Don't Google that at work, folks. Or at all.

No one recognized our outro before, so maybe it's time.

Option 2:

HOW IS VR KANOJO ON STEAM?!

Edited by Brunas

Sorry to resurrect a conversation from 3 pages ago...

You must be physically at an event to make a comment to a judge. Personally, I believe the streamer can and should inform a judge of boardstate mistakes. If someone on the chat informs him of the mistake, he should look at what's going on and confirm. If he can do that, he should inform a judge who can then go to the table and see if the issue brought to his attention holds any weight. I've had times where it was fairly simple to confirm and correct, but other times we were unable to confirm the mistake in a reasonable amount of time, so we just continued on (it helped that the mistake was minor and had little to no effect). Someone calling in to a player or judge is a bit crazy, though I've had it happen to me. I'm not going to actively ignore the information provided. It's a lot easier if the issue is confirmable.

Also, it was noted that "judges get benefits" and I'm big on transparency. For store championships and regionals, the kit comes with an extra set of prizes for the TO. This is a single set, but is all the way up to and including dice and templates. Typically I've seen them split things up among judges. Note, this is prolly the best prize kit you can get as a volunteer. For direct contracting with FFG I typically receive a shared hotel room, travel (gas) reimbursement, $10 per hour of work, convention badge (if required), and participation prizes. For contracting with Cascade (System Opens) I received no hotel room (as marshal they let me crash in their room on the couch), no travel, $12 per hour (depending upon city and judge/marshal status), convention badge, participation prizes, and playmat.

There's a huge cost/benefit analysis that has to be done for each person to decide if they want to volunteer. You're essentially trading cost and ability to play for payment and not being able to play. Getting to hang out with some awesome people is equal in both scenarios. Without a provided hotel room, there's little chance I would agree to volunteering. It's the highest cost, so if I'm paying the cost, I might as well play. Most of my judges for Adepticon were locals as a result. It was painful trying to get judges who couldn't commute. Those were usually players who had a free day or two who could volunteer then. The pay for me is nice, but not significant since it's darn near minimum wage even before it gets hammered with taxes. 

The biggest perk to judging, and I'm hesitant to call it a perk, is the event swag. The first question I get from anyone I ask to judge is "what do we get from the swag?". You show up to the event, play one round, and leave then you've gotten the same swag that a judge gets. This has eliminated some really good judges from volunteering at events. We're not scrubs, we know where we typically land in the pack. For me, I typically hit the second tier of prizes then crash and burn before the dice/templates level. Iain Hamp has won a regional, Brent Wong got 2nd at a regional, James Skeffington was super high at gencon for Destiny.

The craziest part is that we had to fight for these perks. I find myself turning down more and more judging opportunities simply because it's not worth it for me. I'd rather be playing or saving my time off for vacations with my family. I didn't do worlds last year as a protest, and I'm happy to say that things have gotten better for judges. That's why I agreed to judge worlds this year. Maybe I'm just greedy, but I'm ok with that. You get what you pay for, and I like to think I put my heart and soul into making sure an event is judged fairly and runs smoothly.

Sorry if that turned from informative to rant. I will say that at the past few events I've done, especially Adepticon, the community appreciation has been above and beyond anything I've felt while working any event. You guys always manage to give us the boost to keep going through the week and end the week happy we were their. Your genuine thanks is the best perk we get.

3 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

I'm not going to actively ignore the information provided.

Do you feel you should correct a false bord state? Purely hypothetical example: if you are watching a game, see a harpooned! on a ship with 1 hull but regened to 3 shield. The harpoon gets triggered, but both players mess it up and deal 3 damage to shield instead of dealing a facedown card as per the rules.

Do you weigh in as a judge or do you wait until a player realises the mistake?

11 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Do you feel you should correct a false bord state? Purely hypothetical example: if you are watching a game, see a harpooned! on a ship with 1 hull but regened to 3 shield. The harpoon gets triggered, but both players mess it up and deal 3 damage to shield instead of dealing a facedown card as per the rules.

Do you weigh in as a judge or do you wait until a player realises the mistake?

Follow up question: if it wasn't a judge, but a spectator to notice it and pointing it out without passing through a judge, would it be bad?

18 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

I find myself turning down more and more judging opportunities simply because it's not worth it for me. I'd rather be playing or saving my time off for vacations with my family.

So much this. And I only do it for one FLGS. Either you don't get to play, or you add all those extra decisions in all those games with lists that may be totally weird to a normal day of X-wing decision-making. On top of determining format and everything that goes with setting up an event.

If I had any hope of someone taking over and holding frequent events, I'd stop being TO in a heartbeat. I've got 3 kids, only one who plays X-wing, I could be doing so much more with my free time than organizing X-wing tournaments (thinking up format, making the banners, finding swag, coordinating with the FLGS, etc.). It's actually partly draining the fun out of it for me to be responsible for a whole room of people having fun instead of just using X-wing days as a relaxing break from routine.

I've got a tournament this weekend, and deciding on a list, I'm torn between something more fun that would leave me drained at the end of the day or something easier to fly, but not as exciting. I'll probably go with b)

5 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Follow up question: if it wasn't a judge, but a spectator to notice it and pointing it out without passing through a judge, would it be bad?

According to the rules, spectators have to bring it up to a judge who can then act.

1 hour ago, Killerardvark said:

Sorry to resurrect a conversation from 3 pages ago...

Also, it was noted that "judges get benefits" and I'm big on transparency. For store championships and regionals, the kit comes with an extra set of prizes for the TO. This is a single set, but is all the way up to and including dice and templates. Typically I've seen them split things up among judges. Note, this is prolly the best prize kit you can get as a volunteer. For direct contracting with FFG I typically receive a shared hotel room, travel (gas) reimbursement, $10 per hour of work, convention badge (if required), and participation prizes. For contracting with Cascade (System Opens) I received no hotel room (as marshal they let me crash in their room on the couch), no travel, $12 per hour (depending upon city and judge/marshal status), convention badge, participation prizes, and playmat.

You monster, keeping this thread moderately on topic for X-Wing!

Judge benefits are such a mess - especially as things are getting more complicated and the rules/FAQ and some common sense isn't enough to resolve everything anymore, so the pool of "good enough" judges has significantly shrunk...

It's even worse for non-sanctioned FFG events, since the prizes can't be sold for nearly as much (as far as I know?).  Like for krayt cup, I did my best to hook Brent up, but we all knew it was a money losing proposition for him at the start, since while he liked his Marshall branded stuff, it's not going to pay for a flight/hotel and as far as I know all of these events that get big are all run at a loss to start with...

TL;DR hard problem, I don't have a good answer :(

edit: another good example, the cryodex module for krayt cup - that was definitely worth more than some custom templates if you were charging the actual value of your time (and it wouldn't be close).

Man, am I making life harder for you guys by getting customized judge/marshall stuff?  Would it be better to do stuff that's easier to sell to recoup some costs?

Edited by Brunas