SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

9 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

That's how I feel about MTG - I mean, it's also not that fun of a game IMO - but I've smelled my FLGS on a Friday evening and I would definitely never want to play Magic now.

im glad on Thursday X-wing nights the magic guys are a little less poignant than on Saturdays at the same venue. I stopped going Saturdays because of the smell. 

however, when your opponent burps costco hotdogs during a store kit after lunch... it's almost enough to fly ones own ships off the board.  

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Anyone else excited for that new Battletech video game? From what I can tell it has Arcs and Giant Robots which is a good start.

Can we please turn this thread in to a Battletech thread! New box sets hopefully by Gencon, little salty about the price but the minis should be great!  Question is: Are you a Classic or Alpha Strike kinda guy/gal/person/thing

things I miss about PC gaming in the 90's...

- solid flight sims (Wing Commander, X-Wing series, Janes air combat games. Strike Commander (F16 game like Wing Commander!)

- solid base building RTS (C&C, Warcraft)

- turn based tactic games that aren't sci-fi! (Jagged Alliance)

Now it's all twitch FPS or MMO's I don't got time for. 

1 minute ago, atkrull said:

Can we please turn this thread in to a Battletech thread! New box sets hopefully by Gencon, little salty about the price but the minis should be great!  Question is: Are you a Classic or Alpha Strike kinda guy/gal/person/thing

wtf is alpha strike vs classic?

last big box I bought was...1999ish? so I'm out of date.

Just now, atkrull said:

Classic plus low atmosphere aerotech guy. Weirdo used to be the big guy for the space things, and I was loud guy for low atmo.

Just now, Wiredin said:

wtf is alpha strike vs classic?

last big box I bought was...1999ish? so I'm out of date.

Dude - you are SO out of date. Alpha strike is a new book for large scale strategic battles. Plays faster. I have the book on my shelf... but admittedly never used it.

1 minute ago, Wiredin said:

things I miss about PC gaming in the 90's...

- solid flight sims (Wing Commander, X-Wing series, Janes air combat games. Strike Commander (F16 game like Wing Commander!)

Yes!  I grew up on Wing Commander!  And Descent!  I'm kind of tempted to dust off my old Pentium Pro 200 MHz machine and build up a DOS/win9x gaming rig.  I think my old 3dfx VooDoo card is here - though I would have to get my Gravis Phoenix next time I go home...

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

Hey wait... has anything replaced the gold star of Il-2 yet for WWII combat air sims? I've just setup all my flight controllers but don't have a group to fly with any more.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

Hey wait... has anything replaced the gold star of Il-2 yet for WWII combat air sims? I've just setup all my flight controllers but don't have a group to fly with any more.

not sure, I was never into the WWII era combat sims, I played one where I flew around in a P47 for a bit, but I just thought it was a cool plane. I think it was from the same team as Janes. The US Navy Fighters 97 was the game I played specifically, flying around in Harriers and dogfighting wiht A-10's was good fun....

what was the matchmaking software back then? had chat rooms, game rooms, etc? I burned so much time there. 

4 minutes ago, atkrull said:

Alpha Strike = faster play, more minis

Classic = not so many minis, and longer

well I'll have to pickup that book then.

My wife found my old box of Wizkids minis and wanted to play that sometime. Maybe I can get her into Alpha strike... 

I'm guessing similar to Heavy Gear vs HG Blitz?

Edited by Wiredin

Anyone remember the old MicroProse military flight sims?  F-15 Strike Eagle (1, 2, and 3 - I played 2 a LOT), Gunship, F-19 (and then F-117A Nighthawk once the actual stealth fighter was revealed), etc.

3 minutes ago, sirjorj said:

Anyone remember the old MicroProse military flight sims?  F-15 Strike Eagle (1, 2, and 3 - I played 2 a LOT), Gunship, F-19 (and then F-117A Nighthawk once the actual stealth fighter was revealed), etc.

YES! I had Strike Eagle, F117A... I had a lot of Microprose games: 7th Legion, Pacific Air War, Falcon... I think they did GP or F1 games too didn't they?

I miss all these great developers.... Microprose, Westwood, Bioware, Sierra, Dynamix..... 

But no, EA or Activision has to go and eat them all up...

Edited by Wiredin

2 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

YES! I had Strike Eagle, F117A... I had a lot of Microprose games: 7th Legion, Pacific Air War, Falcon... I think they did GP or F1 games too didn't they?

IIRC Falcon was not Microprose (Spectrum Holobyte, maybe?  I'm too lazy to look it up).  MP did make Airborn Range, which was also one of the earlier video games I played.

Edited by sirjorj

10 minutes ago, atkrull said:

the new video game looks good though. It should its been in production forever

2 years? I backed it back in August I think. Much smaller production cycle than other video games... Star Citizen?

45 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

DCS World has I think a Spitfire and P-51 module now, and is close/done with an F-18 module To go along with the dozen or so aircraft they've got done now. Not a replacement for IL-2 though.

Edited by mdl0114

12 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Alpha Strike. Always. Applies to all things. 

C'mon... You mean you won't play company vs company of battlemechs in a single Classic engagement? It only takes a weekend to find the likely winner.

9 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Its fitting that in the end the podcast became an almost wholesome 90s video game show. 

And still more entertaining than most actual X-Wing podcasts...

@Brunas - You've failed, your highness. I'm a listener. Like Boom Owl before me.

Edited by LagJanson