Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

Also, re: Birmingham and wide open meta. So far only 34 lists are posted in listjuggler so 30 are missing but of the posted lists we've got 5 Palp Aces, 4 Rey+, 4 Nymranda, 4 100pt Ace, 3 Ghost/Fenn, 3 Asajj+, and 3 triple Imp. If all 30 lists that aren't filled in to the top 64 are lists that don't fit any of these categories, then the cut would have 7 lists making up 40% of the cut, which is more diverse than the overall meta. If 6+ of the 30 unfilled lists hit one of these categories the top 64 at Birmingham will resemble the overall state of X-Wing.

Edited by mdl0114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mdl0114 said:

Also, re: Birmingham and wide open meta. So far only 34 lists are posted in listjuggler so 30 are missing but of the posted lists we've got 5 Palp Aces, 4 Rey+, 4 Nymranda, 4 100pt Ace, 3 Ghost/Fenn, 3 Asajj+, and 3 triple Imp. If all 30 lists that aren't filled in to the top 64 are lists that don't fit any of these categories, then the cut would have 7 lists making up 40% of the cut, which is more diverse than the overall meta. If 6+ of the 30 unfilled lists hit one of these categories the top 64 at Birmingham will resemble the overall state of X-Wing.

Stop using actual numbers to challenge the narrative! ;)

Edited by AlexW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mdl0114 said:

Also, re: Birmingham and wide open meta. So far only 34 lists are posted in listjuggler so 30 are missing but of the posted lists we've got 5 Palp Aces, 4 Rey+, 4 Nymranda, 4 100pt Ace, 3 Ghost/Fenn, 3 Asajj+, and 3 triple Imp. If all 30 lists that aren't filled in to the top 64 are lists that don't fit any of these categories, then the cut would have 7 lists making up 40% of the cut, which is more diverse than the overall meta. If 6+ of the 30 unfilled lists hit one of these categories the top 64 at Birmingham will resemble the overall state of X-Wing.

I'm pretty sure this is the case. I've added two more Lothal/Fenns in the cut that are definitely correct, and there's two players there I'm confidant were running palp aces of some sort. The cut was only 54 players rather than 64 so the meta lists are actually a larger fraction of the cut than they seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 players might make sense for why I counted 34 filled lists and 20 empty lists. Guess it turns out that 34+20=54, who knew. In that case we’ve got half the cut as one of 6-ish list archetypes and while the control bots in the top 4 and Rey vs Kylo Final is great and all it’s not a great event to try to talk about how different and varied the European meta is. Not that it’ll stop anyone from doing that anyways. 

Edited by mdl0114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added a few more lists I knew/could find, so we should be at 41/54 now. I can understand why FFG wanted to focus on the UK top 8 results in their article but I'm hoping they don't actually believe that.

Also,  Martyn's matchups are interesting - no Mirandas or Nyms, or any small base ships that outpoint Kylo. Kylo died once, in his game against Faan, which was the only time he played one of the big three rebel lists. Not trying to take anything away from his success because he played brilliantly but other people may struggle to repeat it.

Stage 1: Brobots, Guri/Thweek/Fenn, Quickdraw/Rho/Rho

Stage 2: Rey/Lowhhrick,  Ghost/Fenn (Faan),  Raclo/Quickdraw

Stage 3: top 64 bye, Yorr/Quickdraw/Inquisitor,  Quad Wookiees,  Raclo/Quickdraw,  Control bots, Rey/Lowhhrick

Edited by apoapsis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, apoapsis said:

I've added a few more lists I knew/could find, so we should be at 41/54 now. I can understand why FFG wanted to focus on the UK top 8 results in their article but I'm hoping they don't actually believe that.

They don't actually believe. I buy @catachanninja's thought that it's marketing - they don't want to make their competitive scene seem like a bad place. They did the same thing with Portland, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an idea about the Ghost. This suggestion is more to make things interesting, than it is about trying to nerf nuke the ship. Basically beating or losing to the ghost with specific cards is already kinda simple but very boring mechanically. Id almost willingly buff the ghost if it made playing against it more fun.

What if after you bring its shields down, if you land damage on the rear of the ship, measured by if you fire at it from inside its rear arc, the damage is applied to the attack shuttle. Once it is destroyed the Ghost no longer can shoot backwards, deploy the shuttle or corran horn double tap.

That way the list would be subject to some in game counter play. Its a challenge but typical to push through 4 hull dmg on the ghost even without Fenn counters. The ghost might still have 10 hull, a single TLT, and its forward arc after the shuttle sub system is destroyed. Basically you could force the shuttle to eject one turn earlier than usual. Ghost player would still have options, since the shuttle itself has 3 attack dice and can be used well as a blocker, range 1 threat. Maybe we would see more pts invested in the shuttle to deploy it once shields are down as a tactic. Most Ghost/Fenn lists have 6 pts to spare, itd be great to see them invested in an attack shuttle that is on the table.

Either way this would probably make the 4X TLT and 75 pt mountain feel more like a finite resource. Historically better for gameplay. ISTDs is miserable but less of a concern simply because it can blind a maximum of twice so its defensive options arent all that persistent. Maybe Rebel RAClo's offensive abilities should be similar in that they arent infinite as long as the ghost is alive and treated as a kind of Epic Ship subsystem. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting but complicated solution idea @Boom Owl, props for brain use on a Sunday ?

Lets just nuke TLT altogether.

Then, let’s make a caviot to the Ghost/Phantom Title that only allows one to shoot or, if both are utilized in the same round, reduce the dice pool; akin to the TIE SF Spec Ops......that’ll bring that fat bird down a notch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are currently 999 members of the Krayts Facebook group page and 666 likes on the fan page. So, essentially the perfect numbers for both April fools and Easter for a Krayt.

 

 

i don’t know whether to be amazed at the fact this happened or disgusted at the amount of effort put in by the Krayts to make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kdubb said:

There are currently 999 members of the Krayts Facebook group page and 666 likes on the fan page. So, essentially the perfect numbers for both April fools and Easter for a Krayt.

 

 

i don’t know whether to be amazed at the fact this happened or disgusted at the amount of effort put in by the Krayts to make it happen.

We actually dropped to 998 for a bit,  someone left to make it harder for 1k lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

I had an idea about the Ghost. This suggestion is more to make things interesting, than it is about trying to nerf nuke the ship. Basically beating or losing to the ghost with specific cards is already kinda simple but very boring mechanically. Id almost willingly buff the ghost if it made playing against it more fun.

What if after you bring its shields down, if you land damage on the rear of the ship, measured by if you fire at it from inside its rear arc, the damage is applied to the attack shuttle. Once it is destroyed the Ghost no longer can shoot backwards, deploy the shuttle or corran horn double tap.

That way the list would be subject to some in game counter play. Its a challenge but typical to push through 4 hull dmg on the ghost even without Fenn counters. The ghost might still have 10 hull, a single TLT, and its forward arc after the shuttle sub system is destroyed. Basically you could force the shuttle to eject one turn earlier than usual. Ghost player would still have options, since the shuttle itself has 3 attack dice and can be used well as a blocker, range 1 threat. Maybe we would see more pts invested in the shuttle to deploy it once shields are down as a tactic. Most Ghost/Fenn lists have 6 pts to spare, itd be great to see them invested in an attack shuttle that is on the table.

Either way this would probably make the 4X TLT and 75 pt mountain feel more like a finite resource. Historically better for gameplay. ISTDs is miserable but less of a concern simply because it can blind a maximum of twice so its defensive options arent all that persistent. Maybe Rebel RAClo's offensive abilities should be similar in that they arent infinite as long as the ghost is alive and treated as a kind of Epic Ship subsystem. 

I like it!  It makes the shuttle killable, discourages running away directly, and gives lists with fewer defensive options the ability to do something.  Thematically (Because I like theme) It also makes sense - the phantom can be shot, just like the ghost, so a skilled pilot could kill it while it was docked.  I second the idea to buff it if it makes it more fun as well.  Something that would be interesting in that regard is limiting the second turret shot to the front or rear arc - where a gunner could see as there is only one turret seat in the thing.  Don't know if its a good idea, but seems interesting at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... try to listen to another podcast this morning and discover that none but Krayts have downloaded. Apparently the file size acted as a road block preventing other podcasts from being listened to.

11 hours? I have a bad feeling about this.

Edited by LagJanson
Autocorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to it at 2x Speed just to cut things down to a more reasonable 5 hours. 

The next Listener Tactics episode with multiple regional and system open winners as guests is hidden within one of the many hours. 

VictoriousGrippingDragonfly-max-1mb.gif

Not sure if Freedom or Jumping Shark. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I listened to it at 2x Speed just to cut things down to a more reasonable 5 hours. 

The next Listener Tactics episode with multiple regional and system open winners as guests is hidden within one of the many hours. 

VictoriousGrippingDragonfly-max-1mb.gif

Not sure if Freedom or Jumping Shark. 

We'd advertise what's in there, but we're... us, so no one would believe it anyways.  Only the worthy will discover things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, defkhan1 said:

6 months for 6 hours of content vs. 1 week for 11 hours of "content", which would you choose?

Can you ever call ActualKraytKontent Content?  I'm not really sure.  Also, is this a sign that the Krayts are on hiatus?  It seems that is the case...

Edited by Do I need a Username
spelling. is. Hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...