Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I agree with this.  If I had a dollar for every time someone told me they were showing up to some big event and just hoping to get X amount of wins....I'd have at least a decent handful of dollars.  Many (most?) people acknowledge they don't have the skillset, nor the inclination to develop the skillset, necessary to win a big tournament.  They're there for the experience.  What that results in is a bunch of relatively easy wins for the "try-hards".  That's a kinda "meh" experience for the "just for fun" player, and certainly not a test for the "try-hard".

I mean, this happens in big events outside of geek games and such. Made it several times to the provincial level for a high school sporting event - but hey, I wasn't good at it. I of course got beat hard by somebody who was dedicated and well practiced. It'll happen at major sporting events to in the early elimination rounds. It's why upsets are a thing - occasionally the lower ranked guy wins, but it's not expected!

29 minutes ago, gennataos said:

On the collusion topic, in the two big events I've gone to, I've seen that plenty.  I've seen players who know each other just decide, "I don't want to block your success, here you go...here's a win".  I don't know if I care one way or another, particularly since a friend and I discussed doing that at Adepticon if we got matched up, but I'd wager it does muddy rankings when it happens.  It's also no cool to get rolled by someone, then see them concede to their buddy two games later when they realize their MOV will keep them out of the cut.  Kinda bull, but...whatever.

It's really close to the same thing, only difference is you or somebody you know is pulling their punches in one match, and somebody you don't is doing it later. I don't like it either way myself - if you (generic use of "you" here, not you @gennataos) want to drop, drop before the match. I've come to play the game and don't enjoy the bye. I'll play hard till the match is done, even if it means potentially I'm keeping somebody from making the cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I agree with this.  If I had a dollar for every time someone told me they were showing up to some big event and just hoping to get X amount of wins....I'd have at least a decent handful of dollars.  Many (most?) people acknowledge they don't have the skillset, nor the inclination to develop the skillset, necessary to win a big tournament.  They're there for the experience.  What that results in is a bunch of relatively easy wins for the "try-hards".  That's a kinda "meh" experience for the "just for fun" player, and certainly not a test for the "try-hard".

That's how I went to my first regional last year, aiming for 3 wins, with a super crazy stretch goal of dice. I was not planning for a 14h day of X-wing, that is not why I went. I still had fun all the way to the final table, but I kept hoping I'd be beaten, so I could go home and sleep. Sadly, I can only lose on purpose to kids.

It made Naboo, the next month, both more relaxing (only 7 games? Easy!) and less fun (Another crazy long X-wing day, why?). On that one, I should have known I'm in it for the newness, flying more or less the same list was a mistake I realized as soon as I set it down and felt a wave of boredom crash over me. I should have gone with my meme Hangar Bay list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Do I need a Username said:

Fun  Fact: Asa reads all of that.

Oh. That makes my CCing of Feedback@backtodials.com a requirement on all bounty entries kinda annoying for him then?

Also funny. He got to read Tim's story of going undefeated at a tournament with Kylo and a 53 point bid.

Also, on the topic of bounties, for the skill cards-

- Locally in your group, what is the most amount of cards held by one person?

- Does anyone have Gold Squad Skill?

- would it be easier to turn your cards in by mail to a PO box, or by emailing a video of all of the cards you have aquired and marking them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Oh. That makes my CCing of Feedback@backtodials.com a requirement on all bounty entries kinda annoying for him then?

Also funny. He got to read Tim's story of going undefeated at a tournament with Kylo and a 53 point bid.

Also, on the topic of bounties, for the skill cards-

- Locally in your group, what is the most amount of cards held by one person?

- Does anyone have Gold Squad Skill?

- would it be easier to turn your cards in by mail to a PO box, or by emailing a video of all of the cards you have aquired and marking them?

None made it here. So zero :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Oh. That makes my CCing of Feedback@backtodials.com a requirement on all bounty entries kinda annoying for him then?

Also funny. He got to read Tim's story of going undefeated at a tournament with Kylo and a 53 point bid.

Also, on the topic of bounties, for the skill cards-

- Locally in your group, what is the most amount of cards held by one person?

- Does anyone have Gold Squad Skill?

- would it be easier to turn your cards in by mail to a PO box, or by emailing a video of all of the cards you have aquired and marking them?

Yeah, he kind of hates the early krayts.  No one here has skill cards, seeing as none of us could go to krayt cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Makaze said:

I think the lists that are problematic don't particularly have a tradeoff. TLT on the Ghost is hard, or depending on your list impossible, to doughnut due to the 160 degrees of R1 primaries (and since only a sliver of your base has to be in the arc it's realistically closer to 220+)  and the PS 11 boost. Dash I feel like gets beat in list building and not on the table which I don't particularly like. You either have PS 7+ stuff with reposition to exploit his weakness or you don't and lose. He's probably balanced against the type of lists you (and I) like to run but I'm not sure he's good for the game overall.

This is one of the misconception still following the Ghost: with most of the ship (basically anyone without autothruster) you'd rather be in r1 in arc than any other r2-3, especially after Fenn is gone who, assuming the Ghost opponent is competent and not particularly unlucky, is gone after round 2 of shootings.

 

With less than ps 7 ships surely is hard to keep Dash in his donut hole, but you just need to force him to use his action to reposition and you are fine since he would defend or shoot with less modifier (again, assuming not particuarly variance screwed games, but those aren't common occurance).

 

I an not say that everything is fine and at its best, I'm just saying that many perceived broken things aren't worse than acewing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

This is one of the misconception still following the Ghost: with most of the ship (basically anyone without autothruster) you'd rather be in r1 in arc than any other r2-3, especially after Fenn is gone who, assuming the Ghost opponent is competent and not particularly unlucky, is gone after round 2 of shootings.

 

With less than ps 7 ships surely is hard to keep Dash in his donut hole, but you just need to force him to use his action to reposition and you are fine since he would defend or shoot with less modifier (again, assuming not particuarly variance screwed games, but those aren't common occurance).

 

I an not say that everything is fine and at its best, I'm just saying that many perceived broken things aren't worse than acewing

The thing is that there are way more tools to deal with "acewing" then there were, and I actually don't think Dash and TLT are affecting them at all; it's those other tools.  Dash and TLT push out non-ace ships that can't reposition effectively.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AlexW said:

The thing is that there are way more tools to deal with "acewing" then there were, and I actually don't think Dash and TLT are affecting them at all; it's those other tools.  Dash and TLT push out non-ace ships that can't reposition effectively.    

I think both punishes ships that can't reposition effectively, but it wasn't my point: I was just stating that I find more unpleasant to face a list full of high ps repositioning and token stacking aces than TLT and Dash since against the latter I feel I have more control on the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

This is one of the misconception still following the Ghost: with most of the ship (basically anyone without autothruster) you'd rather be in r1 in arc than any other r2-3, especially after Fenn is gone who, assuming the Ghost opponent is competent and not particularly unlucky, is gone after round 2 of shootings.

With less than ps 7 ships surely is hard to keep Dash in his donut hole, but you just need to force him to use his action to reposition and you are fine since he would defend or shoot with less modifier (again, assuming not particuarly variance screwed games, but those aren't common occurance).

I an not say that everything is fine and at its best, I'm just saying that many perceived broken things aren't worse than acewing

I'm not sure I see the point. In both of the described scenarios the ship is taking what should be a crippling weakness, not shooting at all, and due to other strengths ending up with... a maybe slightly worse shot? That's kind of exactly what I was saying, the tradeoffs just don't reconcile with the benefits to the point that they're barely even a weakness.

6 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I think both punishes ships that can't reposition effectively, but it wasn't my point: I was just stating that I find more unpleasant to face a list full of high ps repositioning and token stacking aces than TLT and Dash since against the latter I feel I have more control on the game

My perception is the opposite. In the above cases list composition matters a great deal more than most choices I make on the table. If I don't have a list built with Dash and Ghost/Fenn in mind then, since I'm going to be shot at literally every turn, simple mathematics tends to be the primary factor in that game. Whereas I can pick a random list off of my phone and potentially make a game out of it against aces. Now maybe that's just a perception thing, maybe I've equally lost the ace game as soon as I setup too. But it at least feels like I might be able to get a key block and or a lucky blank out and pull out a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Oh. That makes my CCing of Feedback@backtodials.com a requirement on all bounty entries kinda annoying for him then?

Also funny. He got to read Tim's story of going undefeated at a tournament with Kylo and a 53 point bid.

Also, on the topic of bounties, for the skill cards-

- Locally in your group, what is the most amount of cards held by one person?

- Does anyone have Gold Squad Skill?

- would it be easier to turn your cards in by mail to a PO box, or by emailing a video of all of the cards you have aquired and marking them?

Nathan and I are tied locally because I have been to lazy to force people to do it.  Not sure why, but I haven't been digging this one, even though winning the invitational would have left me pretty stacked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb question, but I can't be bothered to sift through the first 100 pages to work it out, but which username is linked to which krayt? 

 

Edit: I've quickly realised that I probably won't get any correct answers in this thread and I will be krayted around in meme circles and fake news :D

Edited by player2072913

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:I think both punishes ships that can't reposition effectively, but it wasn't my point: I was just stating that I find more unpleasant to face a list full of high ps repositioning and token stacking aces than TLT and Dash since against the latter I feel I have more control on the game

As a low PS Xwing and Ywing pilot, I 100% prefer facing repositioning aces, heck even Fel, to Dash and TLT.

  • Turrets with near guaranteed damage don't have to play the same game. They just need to run off and pick me apart at range
  • Fel 'can' be blocked. A good pilot may never give me that opportunity but I'd rather be caught by a good player flying aces than a poor one just picking me apart with a turret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, player2072913 said:

Dumb question, but I can't be bothered to sift through the first 100 pages to work it out, but which username is linked to which krayt? 

 

Edit: I've quickly realised that I probably won't get any correct answers in this thread and I will be krayted around in meme circles and fake news :D

@Brunas is Chris, @catachanninja is THEZACKMATTHEWSCAROLINAKRAYTPODCAST (invitational winner, blah, blah, blah) and @Tlfj200 is Travis. Or just randomly assign who is who, they're all characters on a show :P

@Kaptin Krunch is a close confidante, but I have no clue who he is. 

I'm a nobody from Canada. I lost to Eric Z in a regional final, that's my only brush with fame.

My son tabled Mark from X-wing Junkies when he was 7, he's probably more known than I am. He's been mentioned in way more podcasts than I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

Nathan and I are tied locally because I have been to lazy to force people to do it.  Not sure why, but I haven't been digging this one, even though winning the invitational would have left me pretty stacked

I NEED YOU TO FORCE PEOPLE TO DO THE BOUNTY REEEEEEEE

It probably would have been more popular if the meta didn't blow. Maybe I'll do a season 2 attempt after worlds if they un-**** the meta? 

I'm just trying to finish up the to-do list of cards to make so I can quit until the next major meta shift in peace. TF2 just had a surprise update, so i'll probably be out for a while. There are people who need to see me holding up signs with stupid pictures on them in the killcam. 

7 minutes ago, drjkel said:

 

@Kaptin Krunch is a close confidante, but I have no clue who he is. 

Isn't it obvious? I was you this whole time!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

Yeah, he kind of hates the early krayts.  No one here has skill cards, seeing as none of us could go to krayt cup.

Haha, I hope it's better now.  They were the first time we screwed up and went too far and we didn't realize they were sick of us until it was too late. 

 

Bonus points for me still being too lazy to upload stuff to the awesome podcast central thing he made.  At this point though I think it might be better to leave it off - I don't want someone downloading us as their first thing and thinking it's not a satirical mess and instead representative of what they should expect from people at tournaments...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brunas said:

Haha, I hope it's better now.  They were the first time we screwed up and went too far and we didn't realize they were sick of us until it was too late. 

 

Bonus points for me still being too lazy to upload stuff to the awesome podcast central thing he made.  At this point though I think it might be better to leave it off - I don't want someone downloading us as their first thing and thinking it's not a satirical mess and instead representative of what they should expect from people at tournaments...

It might be, you may know better than I do, but last time I checked the hatred was real.  He did not like their inbox being spammed by Krayts at all, especially because he tries/tried to reply to feedback.

In some ways, I think back to dials is the ideal podcast for beginners - they always seem happy, they have good advice (not necessarily S-tier, but still very, very good), they provide easily consumable content, and they seem like (and are!  I know them!) some of the nicest people out there (In general though, most podcasters sound like nice people).

As for leaving it off - I might.  Krayt are definitely not something you want to listen to just starting out (possible exception: listener series) because you do appear incredibly mean, and later, super out on the game.  Ne players need optimism - even if it is misplaced.

More serious stuff: I think we are in an amazing time to be an X-wing player.  We have more content than ever before, and almost all of it is of such high quality right now - and for free!  Truly, its a great time to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

It might be, you may know better than I do, but last time I checked the hatred was real.  He did not like their inbox being spammed by Krayts at all, especially because he tries/tried to reply to feedback.

In some ways, I think back to dials is the ideal podcast for beginners - they always seem happy, they have good advice (not necessarily S-tier, but still very, very good), they provide easily consumable content, and they seem like (and are!  I know them!) some of the nicest people out there (In general though, most podcasters sound like nice people).

As for leaving it off - I might.  Krayt are definitely not something you want to listen to just starting out (possible exception: listener series) because you do appear incredibly mean, and later, super out on the game.  Ne players need optimism - even if it is misplaced.

More serious stuff: I think we are in an amazing time to be an X-wing player.  We have more content than ever before, and almost all of it is of such high quality right now - and for free!  Truly, its a great time to start.

That's... weird if there's anything spamming their email. I haven't bothered them since like 2016.  No, I haven't bothered Asa at all about any of it, as it's easier for him if we just stop messing with him, not go and try to make a scene apologizing and bringing very old accidental things back up.

And yeah, we try to make the Krayt stuff opt-in because of that, which outside of listeners or actual useful content means we don't really go posting it anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brunas said:

That's... weird if there's anything spamming their email. I haven't bothered them since like 2016.  No, I haven't bothered Asa at all about any of it, as it's easier for him if we just stop messing with him, not go and try to make a scene apologizing and bringing very old accidental things back up.

And yeah, we try to make the Krayt stuff opt-in because of that, which outside of listeners or actual useful content means we don't really go posting it anywhere.

Oh no - it hasn't happened recently, but I'm guessing that was his only real experience with you and it shut him off big time.  It is probably better to just leave it be as well, except maybe not mentioning the E-mail as much (I know it is a running joke, but at this point he may have had enough).

Moving on: Making Krayts opt-in is definitely the right idea, as most people who listen enough either get really salty, or accept what they have become.  New players probably shouldn't be joining either camp right away.

Edited by Do I need a Username

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Oh no - it hasn't happened recently, but I'm guessing that was his only real experience with you and it shut him off big time.  It is probably better to just leave it be as well, except maybe not mentioning the E-mail as much (I know it is a running joke, but at this point he may have had enough).

Moving on: Making Krayts opt-in is definitely the right idea, as most people who listen enough either get really salty, or accept what they have become.  New players probably should be joining either camp right away.

Didt realize that was an actual thing that happened. My bad for even bringing it up. 

 c1452046c9fecf6073cfa14a47c9f568.gif

In other news...I tried to arc casual today and let the past die...opponents...Lowhrick/Sheath, RAC, Nym...oh well, still fun though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boom Owl said:

Didt realize that was an actual thing that happened. My bad for even bringing it up. 

 c1452046c9fecf6073cfa14a47c9f568.gif

In other news...I tried to arc casual today and let the past die...opponents...Lowhrick/Sheath, RAC, Nym...oh well, still fun though.

It's not your fault - unless you know him personally, Asa doesn't let the positivity drop.

Arc causal is best mode.  I "won" and alt-art shadow port hunter do now I am making a shadowport/Kad solus list for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I tried to arc casual today and let the past die

I've got a list to 'arc casually' when I get a chance...

  1. It has 5 Rebel ships
  2. Contains a named U-Wing
  3. Contains one generic A-Wing

Still trying to fine tune it in theory land... 

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!235:36,-1,167,-1:47:-1:;31:18,72:7:15:U.170;65:243:-1:25:;65:243:-1:25:;65:243:-1:25:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

I've got a list to 'arc casually' when I get a chance...

  1. It has 5 Rebel ships
  2. Contains a named U-Wing
  3. Contains one generic A-Wing

Still trying to fine tune it in theory land... 

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!235:36,-1,167,-1:47:-1:;31:18,72:7:15:U.170;65:243:-1:25:;65:243:-1:25:;65:243:-1:25:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

 

You put Baze on bodhi if you drop down to bandits.  Unless you want all at PS4, which is logical, I guess - I just don't see the value in being able to move the U-wing whenever - it doesn't need actions nearly as much.

Edited by Do I need a Username

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

You put Baze on bodhi if you drop down to bandits.  Unless you want all at PS4, which is logical, I guess - I just don't see the value in being able to move the U-wing whenever - it doesn't need actions nearly as much.

Nah. The PS4 was to avoid some PS kills in swarm counters. The Uwing is the part I'm really fuzzy on. Trying to avoid stacking too many points on it. Bandits may be worth going cheaper on though, then I have to lower the Awing to PS2 with adaptability as well. The Awing must go first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Nah. The PS4 was to avoid some PS kills in swarm counters. The Uwing is the part I'm really fuzzy on. Trying to avoid stacking too many points on it. Bandits may be worth going cheaper on though, then I have to lower the Awing to PS2 with adaptability as well. The Awing must go first.

Yeah, I got that much after the fact - I guess I just didn't care.  The U-wing is a conundrum though, because Baze might not be the right answer.  Maybe you had it right?  I'm really not sure anymore.

Edited by Do I need a Username

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...