SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I might have my facts wrong but did we actually have a Ghost+ Mirror & Miranda/Low Mirror Finals in the same weekend? 

Here is a quick summary of what has defined the experience of playing X-Wing since I started last summer: 

• Lowhrick/Biggs+
  • Genius Nym
  • Trip Wookies
  • Miranda Nym
  • Timewalk Assaj
  • Ghost/Fenn
  • Sprinkle in a dash of RAClo & Palp Aces 

Over the weekend it finally hit me.

Played the way FFG has designed the game to be played, X-Wing is an extremely easy boring game. 

I am 99% sure the game is working as intended. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10624644

From someone who played in a tournament every other weekend in 2017 and in 2018 I’ve had time to play in one and it was first weekend in January. I’ve enjoyed the game so much more. Taking out the ultra competitiveness, the practicing, and the NPE lists has rejuvenated my love of the game. I’d rather have the casual matches I barely have time for with creative and thematic lists than a Saturday taking up my day at a regional playing those lists that are quite frankly an NPE on both sides of the table, see Adepticon.

9 hours ago, killerbeardhawk said:

Correct, OG 100 point corran still need that high ps action to be effective, along with a damage taking tank.

Off-topic, but I forgot to put it earlier - congrats!  That was officially the best final that's ever happened anywhere, to make it even more awesome. 

10 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Yes, dankest timeline

It is too much for me. I know I said once I don‘t mind playing GhostFenn, but that was back when people were still bad with it. By now I should just suicide myself to get a longer break between games.

The short period of hope turned really dark - harpoons are not enough (and let‘s be honest, they are designed horribly) to make arcs matter again. But the game I want to play is one of arcs, with the odd turret mixed in once in a while.

I still have my System Open coming up in two weeks, but at the moment I deeply regret spending those $500+ on the flight and accomodation. After that I am through with competitive xwing for the near future.

My first year I only played at home with my friends/wife/brothers. That was so much fun! I wish I could unlearn what is good and go back to the R5D8 on a y-wing with ion cannon.

Thanks guys for the great time and for providing the best xwing place online. I will keep playing in the vassal league because the ratio between effort and output/fun is good enough for me, and I can easily drop/quit there if it is too cancerous. But otherwise I am out.

6 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I still have my System Open coming up in two weeks, but at the moment I deeply regret spending those $500+ on the flight and accomodation. After that I am through with competitive xwing for the near future.

On the bright side, when you show up, put ships on the board, and start rolling dice, you'll have fun. At least, in most of your matches. I also don't think it's quite as bad as long as you're not constantly subjecting yourself to that type of toxic meta. Once and a bit, sure, it sucks, but it's manageable. Constant high level competitive X-Wing doesn't appear to be doing anybody grand favors when it comes to mental health.

That's really sad to hear, but I don't think it's too uncommon a tale.  I too am out of competitive X-Wing - but I don't think you should already regret your trip to the System Open - even if the meta is a dumpster fire, it's still full of fantastic people.

Probably better ways to spend $500, but if you're going to be trapped it's a pretty good crowd to be trapped with :)

18 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

The short period of hope turned really dark - harpoons are not enough (and let‘s be honest, they are designed horribly) to make arcs matter again. But the game I want to play is one of arcs, with the odd turret mixed in once in a while.

That's so weird, because the biggest X-Wing tournament ever was just won by three arc-locked Imperial fighters, and arc-locked Brobots reached the semi-final.

33 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Off-topic, but I forgot to put it earlier - congrats!  That was officially the best final that's ever happened anywhere, to make it even more awesome. 

Hopefully Andrew and i put on a good show. Interesting enough, we played in Hyperspace and he was able to kill me in under 75 minutes. This time i stayed out of range 1 and bombs. There was a time when i had two shields and really wanted range 1, math favors a powered up range 1 at that point, but andrew saw it coming and we switched to me following him. One, if not the only, game i felt confident that it was truly a stalemate and our flying capabilities were equal so a winner could not be decided. 

4 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

Man honestly competitive xwing right now is just mega lame. I gave it a regional season but I'm now super dejected. Maybe it's monday but I'm wondering why I'm even going to be clicking for worlds.

But havent you heard? An insignificant % of the cut is fun to play against! Everything is fine...

Sadly Live Free Dont Join is starting to be more of a literal statement than a mentality about the game. Or maybe I misunderstood it from the beginning.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

But havent you heard? An insignificant % of the cut is fun to play against! Everything is fine...

Sadly Live Free Dont Join is starting to be more of a literal statement than a mentality about the game. Or maybe I misunderstood it from the beginning.

The only reason to go to worlds is to see my friends and buy beers for Patreons and Zack. I'm not sure that's worth the PTO and money when I could go to Gen con instead. I'm not even sure I'd play xwing at Gen Con. 

Bear in mind I did well this regional season. I made 2 day 2 cuts. Even then, the game is just lame. I'm not impressed with listbuilding anymore. 

I'm not sure when the last time I was impressed with moves on the table. 

God I've even taken to defending Palp Aces, a list I've hated, just because those are at least arced ships.

33 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

Man honestly competitive xwing right now is just mega lame. I gave it a regional season but I'm now super dejected. Maybe it's monday but I'm wondering why I'm even going to be clicking for worlds.

"he who desires but act not, breeds pastilence" 

You're salty as old man sitting in the wheelchair mumbling about good old times, and how bad is now. 

Of course there are issues, but in fact tournament attendance is growing rapidly. Just look at the numbers in Birmingham SoS this weekend :)

I bet if they fix some of current issues somehow (turrets mostly) you'll be still salty because "they fixed it badly!" ;)

1 minute ago, Oldpara said:

"he who desires but act not, breeds pastilence" 

You're salty as old man sitting in the wheelchair mumbling about good old times, and how bad is now. 

Of course there are issues, but in fact tournament attendance is growing rapidly. Just look at the numbers in Birmingham SoS this weekend :)

I bet if they fix some of current issues somehow (turrets mostly) you'll be still salty because "they fixed it badly!" ;)

To your point I've been salty since whisper. 

Maybe the game is more popular. But that doesn't mean its better or more fun.  I dunno, I'm just broken.

34 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

The only reason to go to worlds is to see my friends and buy beers for Patreons and Zack. I'm not sure that's worth the PTO and money when I could go to Gen con instead. I'm not even sure I'd play xwing at Gen Con. 

Bear in mind I did well this regional season. I made 2 day 2 cuts. Even then, the game is just lame. I'm not impressed with listbuilding anymore. 

I'm not sure when the last time I was impressed with moves on the table. 

God I've even taken to defending Palp Aces, a list I've hated, just because those are at least arced ships.

Seriously, dude, start with two PS4 Silencers with FCS, Autothrusters, and Optics, and put your favorite 36 points in to taste.  It's like flying A-wings; beefy, dangerous, 'roided out A-wings.  

Just now, Biophysical said:

Seriously, dude, start with two PS4 Silencers with FCS, Autothrusters, and Optics, and put your favorite 36 points in to taste.  It's like flying A-wings; beefy, dangerous, 'roided out A-wings.  

Dude I've been doing well. I've made day 2 cut at my last 2 regionals with a top 8. My list is fun.

That doesn't mean the lists I'm flying against are fun.

and if you want beefy dangerous, roided A wings... you gotta fly Marcel's Snap A triple Jump list.

52 minutes ago, RStan said:

Who ended up going 6-0 in the Hyperspace Qualifier on Saturday? I know Tyler Tippett and Nicholas Tobin went 6-0 on the Thursday HQ. 

One of my local guys Jake Eilders did it with timewalk asajj and two tlt y's, and I know scott coonce did with low/strezra/miranda... he knocked me out of the cut and was my one loss in hyperspace.  Not sure about the rest

5 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

Dude I've been doing well. I've made day 2 cut at my last 2 regionals with a top 8. My list is fun.

and if you want beefy dangerous, roided A wings... you gotta fly Marcel's Snap A triple Jump list.

I guess I've found that when my list is fun, playing against most any other list is also fun.

Edit:  I own one Jumpmaster, don't really feel the need to own more, but seriously considering a 3rd Silencer.  

Edited by Biophysical

5 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

This long con of marketing Legion by making X-Wing not fun is really working on me.

I bought it hook, line, and sinker, despite complaining about Legion's lack of Clone Wars factions. Legion looks fun actually. 

3 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I guess I've found that when my list is fun, playing against most any other list is also fun.

Edit:  I own one Jumpmaster, don't really feel the need to own more, but seriously considering a 3rd Silencer.  

Playing against most lists is fun. Playing against ghost fenn or other large based turret is me sitting in a corner, fortressed as that's my best win condition. 

10 minutes ago, Kelvan said:

This is the key for me. Beating Ghost/Fenn, Miranda/Low, or other Hyper Defense AOEs isnt even a concern I have anymore. We all can, its not impressive. Its just flat out not fun to face HOTAC AI over multiple rounds. 

Wooohoo I beat a Ghost!! 

Congrats I have now earned a higher % chance to play against the exact same archetype again in my next game. I wonder if my opponents cards will beat me this time.

Asteroids feels more like X-Wing at this point. 

abd9a4143cc5bf2bad09ff60498c0291.gif

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, Kelvan said:

Playing against most lists is fun. Playing against ghost fenn or other large based turret is me sitting in a corner, fortressed as that's my best win condition. 

That's why you should try the Silencers.  They do not go quietly into the night in that matchup.