SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

25 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I really hate to be that guy, but I don't think anyone that's colorblind (at least deutan) will be able to read these charts at all.  I have no idea what's going on, haha!

It's been fixed. When I have more time, I'll figure out something other that just going grayscale, but it has the benefit of working for anyone who doesn't rely on a screen reader now. I should have thought about it since part of my job is making regulation to ensure accessibility ;)

1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

@BrunasSince no one else seems to be doing it, I shall post a list of things I would like to see as topics in the next not-main episode.

ITC

We're not there yet but I can't help but feel like we're headed in that direction. Objectives, Krayt Cup being a large and well received non-standard format event, the fact that the top 50 invitational is in many ways a more prestigious event than worlds, MJ's community mod, etc. Where are the lines both in terms of how bad it has to get and what would it take in terms of maturity, support, and adoption to get you to buy in? Is X-Wing viable with split formats? What if it were just changes to points, scoring, or list building restrictions (objectives largely being classified as complex scoring alterations) with no mechanical alterations or changes to card text?

6 minutes ago, Makaze said:

We're not there yet but I can't help but feel like we're headed in that direction. Objectives, Krayt Cup being a large and well received non-standard format event, the fact that the top 50 invitational is in many ways a more prestigious event than worlds, MJ's community mod, etc. Where are the lines both in terms of how bad it has to get and what would it take in terms of maturity, support, and adoption to get you to buy in? Is X-Wing viable with split formats? What if it were just changes to points, scoring, or list building restrictions (objectives largely being classified as complex scoring alterations) with no mechanical alterations or changes to card text?

I can't speak to the X-wing community at large, but our community in Ottawa/Gatineau is going alt formats instead of changing the cards. Granted, we used to have many really active stores and are now down to just one or two that run events and 2-3 that have casual nights, so our data point may not be representative.

I've said it before, but the format that worked the best for everyone was the Casual or Competitive? hanger bay. You bring a list of each type and decide for each match what you and your opponent feel like playing. The try hards got their Inq/Yorr/QD v GhostFenn match-ups one round to prep for Nationals, followed by a much weirder match-up the next round. Everyone (except my son) brought 2 lists and used both, some even picked two casual lists and alternated or randomly selected. I brought 3, since people may have wanted to practice against GhostFenn but I had no intention of running it otherwise.

We keep trying new things, since the important part is that everyone has fun, whatever that may be for them.

2 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

What's also great is that we have a 300+ person Swiss and I immediately play two people I know. Round 1 the guy I drove up with, round 2 someone I met at Worlds. What're the odds of that?

The odds of it happening to you, really low.  The odds of it happening to someone are pretty good.

Edited by AlexW

Hangar bay hasn't sold me. I just see two broken list options across the table and I can further bury myself by choosing the wrong list I'm flying... I've only flown a small number of hangar bays, but not my preferred format.

Alternate formats in general though, yeah, we're seeing a lot of those.

• Heck, I'm running the mercenary one tomorrow after a couple of my local players lobbied it to me. (77 point list or less... you arrive and randomly draw a roughly 30 point scum ship which is added to your list for the day.) Well, I suppose it means some of my scum ships will actually get used? That's a good thing, I guess...
  • I'm particularly fond of the Original Trilogy format.
  • The objectives one looks very fun, and has been fun from what I've played, but I haven't been able to sell my players on it well enough to do a tournament on it.

Had a great time recently with 75pt cross faction, you have to take at least one ship in each faction. The problem is that like most alt formats, while it was great as a one off, if it became a standard format a meta would quickly develop and we'd be right back to where we are now. There are absolutely some objectively correct answers there and the only thing that made it work was that everyone had to figure them out for themselves on short notice.

Agree with @LagJanson on Hangar Bay. Don't get me wrong I've had a great time at most Hangar Bay events I've gone to, especially reverse ones where you pick your opponents list. But a lot of that was because they were being treated by all (most?) involved as a fun semi-casual thing, it's too easy to just pick the 2 top meta lists if people start try harding.

I like the sound of the @drjkel ban list events, at least as a means of just shaking the snowglobe and scrambling things to get lesser played ships on the table. I wonder if doing something softer whereby top cards X increase by a point and completely unplayed cards decrease a point would work. Especially if you had a series of them. Do that enough times and even Punishers become good and Fenn becomes bad.

Edited by Makaze

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Hangar bay hasn't sold me. I just see two broken list options across the table and I can further bury myself by choosing the wrong list I'm flying... I've only flown a small number of hangar bays, but not my preferred format.

I played with a uniqueness rule (No cards/ships/pilots duplicated across lists), and you had to play both of your lists.  Rather fun that way, but I could see it being broken.

32 minutes ago, Makaze said:

The problem is that like most alt formats, while it was great as a one off, if it became a standard format a meta would quickly develop and we'd be right back to where we are now. There are absolutely some objectively correct answers there and the only thing that made it work was that everyone had to figure them out for themselves on short notice.

I like this. 

I think the point of alternate formats is to shake stuff up, and do it frequently. It takes more work because the devs are concentrating on the normal 100/6 tournament game so that's (supposedly) the most "balanced" possible format. 

But the real moral of the story is that you need to do alternate events, and do them a lot, and have different rules each time. If you make the rules not too complicated, it's easy enough for people to figure out the format and be ready for it. It's a lot of work to design and run all the events, but it builds a stronger community. 

2 hours ago, LagJanson said:

That one had no "gaming the system" decision point though. Both opponents just decided together whether they both went with their casual or their competitive lists. Which means you agreed to try hard or go weird together.

I had warned ahead of time that bringing 2 actually competitive list may lead to the very cruel TO (me) letting your opponent decide which of your ships and/or upgrades was removed for any given round. The warning was heeded :)

49 minutes ago, Makaze said:

I like the sound of the @drjkel ban list events, at least as a means of just shaking the snowglobe and scrambling things to get lesser played ships on the table. I wonder if doing something softer whereby top cards X increase by a point and completely unplayed cards decrease a point would work. Especially if you had a series of them. Do that enough times and even Punishers become good and Fenn becomes bad.

That's one of the next ones. I'm trying to figure out what the breaking points are for everyone. I thought about combining with this one, but for the reasons @Kieransi pointed out, that would have been too much for many.

14 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

But the real moral of the story is that you need to do alternate events, and do them a lot, and have different rules each time. If you make the rules not too complicated, it's easy enough for people to figure out the format and be ready for it. It's a lot of work to design and run all the events, but it builds a stronger community. 

Very much this. I may repeat formats once in a while, but I don't want any meta stabilizing out of it. Banning top pilots/upgrades is easier since it evolves with the meta.

22 minutes ago, drjkel said:

That one had no "gaming the system" decision point though. Both opponents just decided together whether they both went with their casual or their competitive lists. Which means you agreed to try hard or go weird together.

I had warned ahead of time that bringing 2 actually competitive list may lead to the very cruel TO (me) letting your opponent decide which of your ships and/or upgrades was removed for any given round. The warning was heeded :)

Harder for me to pull off since I end up with random players showing up from PTL, or London or something. I can't warn those I don't know are coming! It's just easier to setup rules that can be posted easily that change up the meta, rather than depend on people being nice and not brining it just because I ask them nicely.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Check this out.  Objectives Play for the win, baby.

Objectives.JPG.d5b7e57c7f639e46266fa5efff7dfb91.JPG

That's really awesome to hear.  I still really need to do my part in getting 1.1 out, but have just been spread too thin lately :(

28 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I managed to go 4-2 with arced ships (although the second loss was game 5, so game 6 was pretty casual).  I was competitive in my losses, I 100-0ed a Ghost-Fenn, and I didn't have to use my AK.  I think it was a good day.

The Arc Knight Rises. 

Meh. Meta shmeta. 

There's nothing anyone can do about it.

So like...who cares.

It' like bemoaning the fact that grass is green. 

Only worse because in this case there's someone throwing fertiliser all over the grass but nobody wants to criticise that guy.

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

Meh. Meta shmeta. 

There's nothing anyone can do about it.

So like...who cares.

It' like bemoaning the fact that grass is green. 

Only worse because in this case there's someone throwing fertiliser all over the grass but nobody wants to criticise that guy.

Haha, apt, but there's nothing wrong with people liking green grass.  That's super fine, I just prefer my grass blue.