SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I may be the single dissenting voice, but Squadrons isn't really hitting the mark for me. Perhaps it's because I'm on console? I find myself continually wishing I had like 6 more buttons for all the functionality of the inputs. Are the rest of you beautiful people playing on PC? Mouse and Keyboard? HoTaS? I'm hoping the rub lies in the format I'm playing and not the game.

50 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

Squadrons just makes me feel sad - it's a game I've wanted to exist since I was like 9 y/o playing X-Wing on DOS but I don't have the hardware/money/time to play at this point in my life.

Not  sure what your budget and platforms look like,  but im on a 25 inch moniter and $25 usb controller and having a blast

17 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

I mean, at this point the only "surprise" about nantex is that Faan is 22-0 with it and that's something that, to my knowledge, has never happened before in this game.

Aggregate data is more important than one person's performance.

And regardless of Nantex: I totally agree that using the top 1 of a tournament is a skewed logic, but I was pointing at 5 different top 1. By now that's a data worth noting: even if it was just one single list in the field and not a pretty common one with crazy conversion rate, it would have been meaningful data once you get it winning 5 tournaments.

I mean, it's not Justin Phua winning worlds with a unique list, it's 5 people (actually 4 since Faan won twice) winning in a row with the same list, can you really dismissi this?

That's 5 data points - so no. You still just take the top 16/32 of those 5 tournaments and look at the slice. Because (and this isnt the case here, but it could be, is the point), the slice could reveal in the top 5x16, that list only shows up 5 times. And yes, it may have won all 5 times, but there are actually a lot of random factors involved, such as matchups (and dodging matchups), closeness of individual games, etc.

So, Again, and it's worth stressing - no, taking 5 top wins and putting them together just gives you 5 data points, and I will always note you could have just grabbed the top 16 from all 5 of those tournaments and given us a larger slice/context.

And (arguably weirder here) - the nantex argument would still pop up if you did that, so I'm really confused why you keep using the 'top 1' data points.

I'm not sure what can my comment about 1.0 detracts from this since that was just a jab at the long history of this very thread where 1.0 got shitted upon every now and then pointing out that we never had something like that happening before (although obviously we never also had such a widespread online play, I personally beleive that if we had that before we would have seem similar situation in some metas)

And to be clear: I don't play xwing online, so same team on this aspect. But I also played at the only "biggish" not only tournament and Nantex were there too. And to be even clearer: at this point I'm even somehow enjoying the challenge of facing Nantex. I think I've found a decent counter and know the matchup pretty well... I've done 7 live games vs Nantex, mostly for tournaments. I'd say that's the archetype after rebel beef I've played against the most in 2.0... Still I find amazing people are/were defending them

I'm not defending them, but i'm pushing back against the extreme (to me) claims levied here.

The list is dominant by most metrics. There's no reason to try and create new ones. A simple meta analysis of the top 16/32 combined tournaments will reveal it has a disproportionate share of the cut, and alternative it's overall winrate is vastly higher than the other cut lists. /end

We have seen this before. It is not, however, some insane proportion or ratio approaching 1.0 levels. This seems like feelings.

Additionally, online play has functionally little to do with the data portion of this. These tournaments are approximately the same size as most large tournaments. Further, it's arguable that people are more apt to play a swarm when system auto-move ships for them (that's a hypothesis). Regardless, the online nature seems pretty moot to the above assertions.

Lastly, and this probably should have been at the front: it's literally okay to simply have feelings about a list, and not have data for it. People are allowed to simply not like nantexes, or swarms (or aces, or beef, etc). It's perfectly allowed, for any reason. But once you start making testable claims... well, people will test them.

And I also complained against vulture, so that's not something you can throw back at me :P

That's not really aimed at you - it's a broad statement to the animus that's broadly aimed at nantexes this season around. I'm just noting that people are weirdly extra angry here, and we literally have seen this before.

9 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I may be the single dissenting voice, but Squadrons isn't really hitting the mark for me. Perhaps it's because I'm on console? I find myself continually wishing I had like 6 more buttons for all the functionality of the inputs. Are the rest of you beautiful people playing on PC? Mouse and Keyboard? HoTaS? I'm hoping the rub lies in the format I'm playing and not the game.

I'm playing with my xbox controller on PC. Most players are using controller or HOTAS overall. You can remap the controller as much as you want too, so try out a few things in different spots and see if you can find a feel good spot. Test it out in practice mode just flying around. 

9 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

So, Again, and it's worth stressing - no, taking 5 top wins and putting them together just gives you 5 data points, and I will always note you could have just grabbed the top 16 from all 5 of those tournaments and given us a larger slice/context.

. . .

We have seen this before. It is not, however, some insane proportion or ratio approaching 1.0 levels. This seems like feelings.

. . . 

Lastly, and this probably should have been at the front: it's literally okay to simply have feelings about a list, and not have data for it. People are allowed to simply not like nantexes, or swarms (or aces, or beef, etc). It's perfectly allowed, for any reason. But once you start making testable claims... well, people will test them.

That's not really aimed at you - it's a broad statement to the animus that's broadly aimed at nantexes this season around. I'm just noting that people are weirdly extra angry here, and we literally have seen this before.

Angry Pepe | Know Your Meme

stop being logical, let me be angry

the most obvious /s of all time

Edited by Npmartian

4 hours ago, RStan said:

I'm playing with my xbox controller on PC. Most players are using controller or HOTAS overall. You can remap the controller as much as you want too, so try out a few things in different spots and see if you can find a feel good spot. Test it out in practice mode just flying around. 

Then bring it to a battle, mash the wrong button in a panic, and die spectacularly

5 hours ago, RStan said:

Practice mode unironically super helpful 

also wrecking those AI squads singlehandedly feels real good 

10 hours ago, RStan said:

Yeah, i definitely need to experiment, because I don't like any of the presets so far.

10 hours ago, RStan said:

One thing that helped was I set my pitch and yaw sensitivity to maximum. Now, I can turn. I was watching videos online of folks making fairly quick (non-drift) turns to stay on target while I continually felt like I was flying through space molasses. I need to find a good spot for drift. I've tried a few, and I don't like any of them.

11 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

One thing that helped was I set my pitch and yaw sensitivity to maximum. Now, I can turn. I was watching videos online of folks making fairly quick (non-drift) turns to stay on target while I continually felt like I was flying through space molasses. I need to find a good spot for drift. I've tried a few, and I don't like any of them.

I had this problem, then realized I kept changing my speed on accident because the left stick on a ps4 controller wasn't very discreet.  I kept hitting up and down when I was trying to hit left and right.  

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I had this problem, then realized I kept changing my speed on accident because the left stick on a ps4 controller wasn't very discreet.  I kept hitting up and down when I was trying to hit left and right.  

This, but also I can't keep my nose on target at the best of times. Max sensitivity would have me needing a sick bucket on hand at all times.

36 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

qojAzpO.gif

• 2 Charges
  • R3 Only 
  • Focus to Fire 
  • At the start of the engagement phase you may flip one charge.
  • If all of your charges are inactive yeet 5 dice 
  • After firing gain 1 ion token 
  • Requires Device & Torpedo 

Does that mean that once turn 3 comes round, you can yeet those 5 dice for as long as you live and point at something far away?

Even then, kinda fine. Kill me please signs are ok on not unchaseable things.