SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

2 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

In the slightly disappointed camp on LAAT pricing, but mainly because I fully intend to run one. That ship ability seems strong.

Which is probably why I should be pleased with the price.

Would you pay 11 points to give Dutch the ability to pass a second lock to a second friend, 2 health, a crew slot (admittedly without access to some of the bonkers Rebel Crew), and a bowtie instead of a forward arc? I would! The LAAT/i costing any less would be kinda... absurd if you think about it in the context of '2 extra bonus actions to your list.' A single coordinate bot like AP-5 with way less health already costs 30 alone after all, and that eats its own action to grant one to another ship. You just... get to double mod free every turn with the LAAT on two ships in your list, barring the fact they can't use missiles with the attack. And in a faction with as much force access as Republic, granting free target locks is a bit absurd.

At 51 it is still probably one of the most stacked support ships in the game. I get people wanted to fly it as a brawler, but once we saw that effect the writing was on the wall and we had to assume it would be priced around that.

1 hour ago, dezzmont said:

Would you pay 11 points to give Dutch the ability to pass a second lock to a second friend, 2 health, a crew slot (admittedly without access to some of the bonkers Rebel Crew), and a bowtie instead of a forward arc? I would! The LAAT/i costing any less would be kinda... absurd if you think about it in the context of '2 extra bonus actions to your list.' A single coordinate bot like AP-5 with way less health already costs 30 alone after all, and that eats its own action to grant one to another ship. You just... get to double mod free every turn with the LAAT on two ships in your list, barring the fact they can't use missiles with the attack. And in a faction with as much force access as Republic, granting free target locks is a bit absurd.

At 51 it is still probably one of the most stacked support ships in the game. I get people wanted to fly it as a brawler, but once we saw that effect the writing was on the wall and we had to assume it would be priced around that.

I do agree, but my prospective builds had a wee bit more bid/extra clutch toy going on :D

Worth noting that the LAAT charges only regen 1 per turn. That's potentially a big difference.

I think it can still be a decent brawler. The main problem I'm seeing so far is a difficulty with red tokens. Many ways to gain, only straights to lose them. Reinforce and rotate into focus are both good, brawly actions, but agh red. Banks are so useful.

I'll probably end up throwing a baffle on it, reinforce then take damage anyway, just to be annoying.

Edited by Cuz05

10 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

how cheap is "cheap" before you're unhappy it's "expensive?"

Well, Heart says TIE Reaper pricing, also because "OMG ITS A LAAAT"; but Brain says that's super bad idea because 10 health ship with reinforce and baked in rerolls does not need to be spammed.

Points we got today seem super fair. I will never complain about a discount, but I don't think the LAAT is DOA at all currently.

(Personally I still want to see 212th at an even 50 points, so you can run 4 of them, but that's my personal hot take, so we can just mark it off as bad and ignore it.)

Edited by FlyingAnchors

51 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

(Personally I still want to see 212th at an even 50 points, so you can run 4 of them, but that's my personal hot take, so we can just mark it off as bad and ignore it.)

I think that's exactly why it's 51, and if it turns out that it's overpriced, you can yell about "why did FFG not use the implemented mechanic of limited generics so that you can only take 3 and have them well costed"

8 minutes ago, Npmartian said:

I think that's exactly why it's 51, and if it turns out that it's overpriced, you can yell about "why did FFG not use the implemented mechanic of limited generics so that you can only take 3 and have them well costed"

I don't understand why there's a desire to limit laats, they can't affect each other, taking four of them just seems awful

1 hour ago, Npmartian said:

Someone is bound to make that argument. But it won’t be me.

22 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

How did the HMP get a crew slot?  Was it drugs?  I'm betting it was drugs

They are described and depicted as transporting up to a dozen droid troops, and the fancy B2/BX ones too, so not just regular Rodgers.

2 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

For what it's worth, if we ever wound up face to face (almost surely never will), I'd totally let you just fly 4 against me.

Since they're immune to their own ship abilities, they're so bad as a mono-culture list (far worse quad K-Wing) that I don't think it was a breakpoint issue, and I guess FFG thought they were worth 51 points in a squad of mixed Jedi.

3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

They are described and depicted as transporting up to a dozen droid troops, and the fancy B2/BX ones too, so not just regular Rodgers.

For what it's worth, if we ever wound up face to face (almost surely never will), I'd totally let you just fly 4 against me.

Since they're immune to their own ship abilities, they're so bad as a mono-culture list (far worse quad K-Wing) that I don't think it was a breakpoint issue, and I guess FFG thought they were worth 51 points in a squad of mixed Jedi.

My issue isn't droids.  It has no crew compartment and most of the crew cards need to do inconvenient things like breathe

44 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

My guess is that Sinker + LAAT under/at 100 + 4 golds or 2 golds + Jedi was gatekeeping enough, and they gave themselves some wiggle room just in case, but otherwise I agree. 

5 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

It has no crew compartment and most of the crew cards need to do inconvenient things like breathe

So you're saying my planed little sidious conversion is not good? Unless I guve him a helmet? :P

XpVxZ8K.png

Friend: hey Dragon_King, is everything a joke to you?

Me: Yes (on the internet for sure!)

Edited by Dragon_King

21 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'll say I feel a little bad for the "I wanted the LAAT to be a gunship not a support" folks.  I hope the generic LAAT has just Barrage Rockets as the Quickbuild, so there's an avenue for folks who want to try to smash with them.

if you fired up ryan flemmings time machine and used it to spy on me prior to the release of 2.0s wave 3, youd often hear me rant about how stupid including the clone wars factions in 2.0 is, especially fan favorites like the n1 and the laat. I still don't like the n1, however, my thing about the latt was, it's a gunship/transport ship, what the heck is it going to do in my dog fighting game. Intsead it's probably the coolest support ship i've seen in x wing so far and i'm really excited to get it on the table. 

2 hours ago, catachanninja said:

if you fired up ryan flemmings time machine and used it to spy on me prior to the release of 2.0s wave 3, youd often hear me rant about how stupid including the clone wars factions in 2.0 is, especially fan favorites like the n1 and the laat. I still don't like the n1, however, my thing about the latt was, it's a gunship/transport ship, what the heck is it going to do in my dog fighting game. Intsead it's probably the coolest support ship i've seen in x wing so far and i'm really excited to get it on the table. 

Introduction, Conflict, Conclusion

Starting viewpoint, challenge to the viewpoint, and reconciliation in synthesis

This comment was a better story than... let's not go down that rabbit hole. A good comment by all standards.

1 hour ago, Transmogrifier said:

I'm excited to see what we get out of the Standardized restriction keyword. It would be cool to see it retroactively applied to struts.

Where is this keyword? I didn't see it when I looked through the pdfs. 

9 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Where is this keyword? I didn't see it when I looked through the pdfs. 

It was in the Rules Reference update (it's not a Builder keyword, it's a card restriction keyword like Solitary):

STANDARDIZED
Some upgrade cards have the standardized restriction. During squad building, if a player selects a ship with a standardized card equipped, each ship of that ship type (i.e., full ship name) in that player's squad must be equipped with a copy of that standardized card.

note: we haven't seen any cards with this restriction yet, but presumably release or at least one is imminent

Edited by Transmogrifier