SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, svelok said:

:Care:くん has daredevil but not red. 

As she is not japanese (and her female name is really strange in japanese, because kare means he), she should be written in katagana, probably

カレ クン or カレークン or カリクン/ カリークン, depending on pronounciation.

Your writing would be :Care:クン

[/nitpicker mode off]

4 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Actual answer you could probably joust your way into cut in a Hyperspace tournament with Quad Arcs. Not sure much more than that though.

Problem is the bump train. Being a stiff flying brick as a counter to be being cheap+having health+ 2 arcs is fair (unlike Firesprays with their boost). So, if you bring 4 medium bases, and your opponent knows what (s)he is doing it is pretty easy to shut off an Arc's mods, unless they are kinda passive mods like Sinker or Wolffe. And mod-less Arcs are pretty fast dead Arcs.

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling

5 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

There are probably a couple 4 ship copy paste ship type lists you could optimize in Hyper and win a bunch of games with.

Ace+Gang works for several factions and is a really cool type of list

Poe and BBBlues or Kylo and BAs are my favorites, but we all know FangGang from a year ago. Luke and T65s has points to spend, which makes sense as T65s are not quite on the same level. The republic version probably with CLTKnights is something I have never seen. Imperials would have to go with something else, like 4 strikers or 6 TIEs to fill the ~120pt of the Gang.

7 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Actual answer you could probably joust your way into cut in a Hyperspace tournament with Quad Arcs. Not sure much more than that though.

Medium bases are ******* thought, I don't think you really could

7 hours ago, Bucknife said:

That's what I'm super interested in finding out. 

Are quad T65s not competitive in top cuts either? 

Are quad T70s not too cutters? 

Why? 

If there are any "four ofs" that "deserve" to be top-table competitive worthy, aren't these the droids we're looking for?

All I can think of in real life are...

Quad Fangs. 

Barely. 

It depends on what you means by "quad something"

Quad fangs for example have Fenn, quad generics are way worse. In Hyperspace quad t70 could actually be decent because they are good against CIS swarms, while in extended you have no reasons to play quad t65 when you can play Wedge and 3 Bs (or Luke 3 Bs in HS)

8 hours ago, Bucknife said:

If there are any "four ofs" that "deserve" to be top-table competitive worthy, aren't these the droids we're looking for?

is there a reason we're search for 4ship monolists? if something is decent in at least one not monolist, does it matter if its not also decent in a monolist?

3 hours ago, svelok said:

is there a reason we're search for 4ship monolists? if something is decent in at least one not monolist, does it matter if its not also decent in a monolist?

Same team; Mono-lists and/or spam lists should be bad because ceteris paribus specialization and division of labor means the parts in a theoretically "good" spam list would likely be OP in other contexts.

There may be exceptions for particularly generalist chassis (such as the X-Wings; few others come to mind) and only when the diversity of pilots makes up for the lack of diversity in chassis.

Doubling down on one ship's strengths also means you're inherently doubling down on its weaknesses as well and leaving yourself wide open to a hard counter to that one item. This is why spam is bad and always should be.

13 hours ago, Bucknife said:

I just started a topic is squad lists...

Is there a SINGLE quad ARC 170 list that can stand in Hyperspace? 

I got beat by quad 7fg arcs at gencon last year, admittedly that was during my l5r hiatus and i was only playing x wing to not think about choking at a chance to get hatamoto, but the combo of beef and ability to deliver powerful shots turned out to be pretty strong. 7fg is a really strong card that gets glossed over because its in the purple faction. 

7 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

I got beat by quad 7fg arcs at gencon last year, admittedly that was during my l5r hiatus and i was only playing x wing to not think about choking at a chance to get hatamoto, but the combo of beef and ability to deliver powerful shots turned out to be pretty strong. 7fg is a really strong card that gets glossed over because its in the purple faction. 

7FG will see some proper usage as Republic introduces more chassis that can carry it efficiently and some more chassis that would enjoy its effect relative to the cost (in squad points, in disarming to recharge yet keeping the arc on target, with it taking the gunner slot, etc.). V-Wing's will be very good to support with it.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

@Boom Owl The Slide Slip maneuver is forwards only using bank and turn templates. You've got a few bank backs and turn backs in your examples.

I left the straight and stop moves+ roll in the image since if I understand it correctly you can still execute those as normal even if the side slip option is active. The rest of it should just be forward only side slip banks and side slip turns + barrel roll. 

Edited by Boom Owl

23 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I left the straight and stop moves+ roll in the image since if I understand it correctly you can still execute those as normal even if the side slip option is active. The rest of it should just be forward only side slip banks and side slip turns + barrel roll. 

It's just really hard to tell what is going on with the arc indicators blotting stuff out. Maybe just a location only heat map would have worked a smidge better.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

It's just really hard to tell what is going on with the arc indicators blotting stuff out. Maybe just a location only heat map would have worked a smidge better.

Yt1BZjQ.png

Roughly. I usually just start with the entire thing and then delete out sides or speeds. The all Left Turns and Banks is the useful one basically. 

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Speaking of lesser used tech being made relevant with more releases, the Xi might make the Mag Pulse/Vonreg ability + Thannison crew combo worth the investment.

GktA.gif

1 hour ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Speaking of lesser used tech being made relevant with more releases, the Xi might make the Mag Pulse/Vonreg ability + Thannison crew combo worth the investment.

You mean to say that the First Order have move than just Phasma crew? Nonsense, I say, nonsense.

It will be interesting to actually use crew in the faction, and see what synergies can bu utilized now that the crew carrier won't take up 33% every time.

How much do we expect the Xi to cost, anyhow?

Init 2 Generic, essentially Gunboat statline, essentially Upsilon dial, Reaper-ish actions.  Around 32 like a Resistance Transport?

It's only 0.3 attacks tougher, doesn't appear to have cannon access for improved offense, swaps the difficulty of Locks/Jams which is probably better for the Xi, and the dial--while it has less red--probably isn't quite as good with it's medium base on board as a small-base Transpo.

44 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

How much do we expect the Xi to cost, anyhow?

The Midwest Scrub cost prediction model had these numbers:

Xi-class Light Shuttle
I2 Generic – 32 points
I3 Named Pilot – 37 points
I4 Named Pilot – 40 points
I5 Named Pilot – 42 points

LAAT/i Gunship
I2 Generic – 39 points
I2 Named Pilot – 43 points
I3 Named Pilot – 45 points
I4 Named Pilot – 47 points

HMP Droid Gunship
I1 Generic – 31 points
I1 Limited – 35 points
I2 Limited – 37 points
I3 Generic – 36 points
I3 Limited – 39 points

The model doesn't take into account how good a limited's ability is, just that it has one, so it's best just to look at the generics. The HMP might throw the whole model off, as we don't know how to factor in all the extra movement generated by the config.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

The Midwest Scrub cost prediction model had these numbers:

Xi-class Light Shuttle
I2 Generic – 32 points
I3 Named Pilot – 37 points
I4 Named Pilot – 40 points
I5 Named Pilot – 42 points

LAAT/i Gunship
I2 Generic – 39 points
I2 Named Pilot – 43 points
I3 Named Pilot – 45 points
I4 Named Pilot – 47 points

HMP Droid Gunship
I1 Generic – 31 points
I1 Limited – 35 points
I2 Limited – 37 points
I3 Generic – 36 points
I3 Limited – 39 points

The model doesn't take into account how good a limited's ability is, just that it has one, so it's best just to look at the generics. The HMP might throw the whole model off, as we don't know how to factor in all the extra movement generated by the config.

LAAAAAAT/i prediction like that I'll take with a grain of salt, since I think the rerolls seem worth considerable--nearly a free lock the thing gives away per turn, and two on the first engage.  Doesn't mean the model is bad, just that it's worth understanding the limitations, etc.

That's roughly what I would have guessed for the Init 1 HMP at least, before the config.  I mean, it's roughly a TIE/sf, innit?  2 dice, two firing arcs, similar toughness at the end of the day.  I kinda think it'll be a hair more, I don't think we'll see 32 or lower, if the generics can take a payload, since I don't think we'll see 6 + DRK1 Probes.  That'd be pretty reasonable.  Double locks on each of three targets for all the rerolls, with wide arcs that'll be hard to dodge, and those interesting side-slips.  Not necessarily top tables, but a pleasant afternoon of a list, I'd figure.  So I suspect they won't get it.  =P

Edited by theBitterFig