SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, svelok said:

today in bumping the thread:

unknown.png

2.0 TIEs should have been printed like this and howlrunner left in 1.0, change my mind

TN-3465 is the Hyperspace Howlrunner you want. The problem with reverse Ruthless on a cheap chassis is that you pay extra for it. For a slightly worse version of the ability, she is 2 pt more than the Zeta and unique. She's very good with reserved and timely application, but can you imagine paying at least a minimum of 2 pt more per generic? And you only need 1 TN3465 in your list, whereas this is on your generic, so you are paying 2pt extra for every TIE Fighter and can't use like 8 or 10 pt on your ace in the list (this cumulative point increase is why I5 Passive Sensors at 4 pt and I4 and below Passive Sensors at 2pt are massive). The ability shouldn't be free, but it wouldn't be worth the spam. Don't equip what you don't need. (And if I see you on my CSGO team buying a Zeus X22 in an Eco round, I'm going to pick that Zeus off your corpse and tase a chicken out of spite).

I think of this situation as "The Rivas Principle". Is my blocker better off with a 2pt Vessery-ish ability to increase DPS, or should I apply those points to the main attraction of the list? If the former, don't use that Gencon Epsilon Cadet art and instead use Rivas. If the latter, stay at 25 pt and the fancier art. Generic Rivas would be cool, but many of my lists wouldn't work if I were forced into even 2 Rivas'.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, svelok said:

howlrunner left in 1.0, change my mind

Civé Rashon in 2e (call sign Howlrunner), but with some entirely new ability.  Maybe she can boost with some trigger.  Howlrunner sounds like someone who should be going fast.

*e* Give her Flight-Assist-Astromech as a pilot ability!

Edited by theBitterFig

3 hours ago, svelok said:

unknown.png

2.0 TIEs should have been printed like this and howlrunner left in 1.0, change my mind

Howl is classic X-Wing. If they took out Howl, they might as well have removed Proton Torps. 

At the current exchange rate for Howl, I'd say LNs could nearly go down to 20 like Vultures...

...except that Ruthless may potentially have a higher ceiling than Net.Calc with that amount of HP spam, so there is that. 

Is your point that LNs have to pay too much tax for Howl and/or Ruthless? 

Even so, isn't that kinda okay? 

Even at 24, Academies were seeing competitive play as a pair or as a single blocker in ace builds. 

4 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

https://tabletop.to/bots-bt1

Holo dropping by 1 pt means that in Kylo + Tavson + friend, he's way better than Quickdraw since you can fit Optics, Biohexacrypt, and Proud Trad--all being clutch upgrades that don't really care who moves first with token tossing.

Seeing you run Kylo and/or Tavson is the equivalent of seeing me run Poe and/or Rey. ;)

“Yup, sounds about right.”

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gennataos said:

Seeing you run Kylo and/or Tavson is the equivalent of seeing me run Poe and/or Rey. ;)

“Yup, sounds about right.”

But my World's invite + list was Supernat. I have to be the Supernat guy!

I suppose you're right and that I should just lean into it. It engages easier and has low variance susceptibility for aces moving first, resulting in hefty MOV.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, svelok said:

unknown.png

Counterpoint: Ruthless should be free, talent slots shouldn’t cost (much) extra, and 2-point crack shot is correct.

Addendum: If every imperial with a talent slot had Ruthless, the game would be more fun and still quite wholesome.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Guildball is ending and while most people in this thread wont care at all about that, this quote might be relevant to people's interests:

"Guild Ball became the type of game where you win your first game (demo) and then lose the next 100 games. When matched against a lesser skilled or inexperienced opponent, a better player would simply win the vast majority of games.

As the competitive scene began to dominate, the design space for wilder, more ‘fun’ elements began to shrink. New minis were either ‘OP’ or ‘trash-tier’ the second they were announced. Why take a new model when model XYZ already filled the role?"

https://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/10-8-2020-announcing-the-end-of-guild-ball

14 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Guildball is ending and while most people in this thread wont care at all about that, this quote might be relevant to people's interests:

"Guild Ball became the type of game where you win your first game (demo) and then lose the next 100 games. When matched against a lesser skilled or inexperienced opponent, a better player would simply win the vast majority of games.

As the competitive scene began to dominate, the design space for wilder, more ‘fun’ elements began to shrink. New minis were either ‘OP’ or ‘trash-tier’ the second they were announced. Why take a new model when model XYZ already filled the role?"

https://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/10-8-2020-announcing-the-end-of-guild-ball

That's a little sad.  Barely started getting into it, only painted a little of my stuff.  Had Engineers, Cooks, and about half the Butchers.

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

It's also almost like monotonous win conditions favors monotonous list archetypes and game plans 😕

I guess I was very casual, really far removed from competitive Guild Ball, but the game had basically two win conditions--football and combat.  First to 12 points wins.  Take down an opponent's squaddie, score 2 points.  Kick a goal, score 4 points.  Ideally, some guilds would win with 6 takedowns, some 4 takedowns and a goal, some would be 2 takedowns and 2 goals, some 3 goal teams.

From the post by Steamforged, sounds like ignoring the ball became more common, sounds like footballing strategies were too high risk for the reward.  I can see that.  While you got to choose which way you moved and how far, you had to allocate influence (action points, basically) to your entire squad pretty early, and a mistake in that strategy could leave you unable to react to the board state.  Your opponent strips you of the ball, outplays you in position even a little, and you might not be able to get the ball to your striker to score a goal this turn.  It's really easy to slip essentially an activation behind, and be unable to get your strategy back on track.

Takedowns don't have the same problem.  They can just beat on whoever is in range, ignore the ball, and win through combat.  Seems like that could easily be just a more robust strategy, one less susceptible to interference.  Seems like it'd be pretty hard to get the balance between the two sides right, where if goal scoring became too easy relative to takedowns, then some teams just couldn't compete as the opponent Bends it like Beckham.

But I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem of monotonous win conditions.

33 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Snap and Kare should cost less than Jess.  Snap's ability might be worth 3 points more than an I4 generic, but Kare's sure isn't.

Kara Kun is Daredevil without stress or taking up the Talent slot.  But Daredevil is probably overpriced at 2, so I can agree with this.

33 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Snap and Kare should cost less than Jess.  Snap's ability might be worth 3 points more than an I4 generic, but Kare's sure isn't.

I think FFG is punting with Snap atm. With foils, he could be an I4 Poe/Soontir lite with Predator (free boost + roll and link to focus = double repo and full mods but at an easily defeated I4). But FFG doesn't really care about the overcosting of this Snap and would rather release the new and better Snap as a fix.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

But Daredevil is probably overpriced at 2, so I can agree with this.

For most ships, yes. But for ships that don't lose their action efficiency (Pattern Nien with stress shenanigans or the entire TIE/BA and it's not-stress linking before it's final action), it's worth it. At 2 pt, it competes at just the right level with the other Talents for the aforementioned pilots.

Oddball, a pilot with a great ability but never on a chassis that would use it competitively, will rock (with a lock) with Daredevil + Missile in the V Wing. Or even just the config and no missile with a 7th fleet Gunner somewhere.