SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Another rule question in liu of the spoilers: can you choose to coordinate a stressed ship (to not give out an action with hondo)? Unless I'm missing something, that seems to be a grey area in the rules because a stressed ship can't complete step 3 (performing an action) of the coordinating process thus leaving me wondering if you are able to select a stressed ship to start with

34 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Another rule question in liu of the spoilers: can you choose to coordinate a stressed ship (to not give out an action with hondo)? Unless I'm missing something, that seems to be a grey area in the rules because a stressed ship can't complete step 3 (performing an action) of the coordinating process thus leaving me wondering if you are able to select a stressed ship to start with

My guess is yes as current rules are written. AP-5 can choose a stressed to coordinate and not fail,  Larma Dacy crew allows reinforce, coordinate, and jam actions while stressed, and Primed Thrusters allows boosts and rolls while stressed. They are probably other that I don't recall immediately. In any case, I believe a ship could be coordinated and given an action, but unable to perform that action. I think it would be much like a stressed ship in it's perform action step. It has the action sitting right there, it just can't use it because or stress.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

There's no requirement in the Coordination rules that the ship has to be unstressed.

To that end, a Coordinate doesn't fail if the target doesn't perform an action: it only fails if there's no ship to choose.

Only example I can think of for Hondo not working is if a ship with Passive Sensors has spend the charge, Hondo couldn't choose them.  Even something like Composure which shuts off other actions wouldn't interfere, since Coordinate is agnostic about what the other ship does.

Edited by theBitterFig

Posted (edited)

New Cool Stuff: 

• Pretty much 100% of everything about the Tri-Fighter
  • ETA-2 looks like what I didn't know I wanted Athersprites to be all along
  • Purple Target Locks are an awesome idea that only the Devs thought of because they are smarter than us. 
  • Tie-Brute and V-Wing look like fun, simple, and not overly wordy ships so far. Republic needs more of that. Ace + Clones LFG. 

TIE-Fighter-1-Feature.jpg
Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

New Cool Stuff: 

• Pretty much 100% of everything about the Tri-Fighter

They're so neat!

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:
  • Tie-Brute and V-Wing look like fun, simple, and not overly wordy ships so far. Republic needs more of that. Ace + Clones LFG. 

Ace squad squad gang gang

My impression with the Hyperspace thing was they were adding back in stuff they felt they took out too soon (that is, folks hadn't had a chance to really use them before the January culling).  I wouldn't be surprised to see them all go away afterwards.

The next January Hyperspace rotation removing v1s and Aethersprites feels more likely than not to me.

2 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

My guess is yes as current rules are written. AP-5 can choose a stressed to coordinate and not fail,  Larma Dacy crew allows reinforce, coordinate, and jam actions while stressed, and Primed Thrusters allows boosts and rolls while stressed. They are probably other that I don't recall immediately. In any case, I believe a ship could be coordinated and given an action, but unable to perform that action. I think it would be much like a stressed ship in it's perform action step. It has the action sitting right there, it just can't use it because or stress.

All those example allows to perform action while stressed thought, what if a ship can't do that? Would it still be eligible for a coordinate?

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

There's no requirement in the Coordination rules that the ship has to be unstressed.

To that end, a Coordinate doesn't fail if the target doesn't perform an action: it only fails if there's no ship to choose.

Only example I can think of for Hondo not working is if a ship with Passive Sensors has spend the charge, Hondo couldn't choose them.  Even something like Composure which shuts off other actions wouldn't interfere, since Coordinate is agnostic about what the other ship does.

The issue I see is that a stressed ship isn't failing its action: it's unable to perform an action. Could it even becomes the target of a coordinate action?

The rules dont say the ship needs to be unstressed, but they say it performs an action. Being unable to do that due to stress (while not having means to perform actions while stressed) wouldn't make such a ship an illegal target similar to a passive sensored one?

30 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

All those example allows to perform action while stressed thought, what if a ship can't do that? Would it still be eligible for a coordinate?

The issue I see is that a stressed ship isn't failing its action: it's unable to perform an action. Could it even becomes the target of a coordinate action?

The rules dont say the ship needs to be unstressed, but they say it performs an action. Being unable to do that due to stress (while not having means to perform actions while stressed) wouldn't make such a ship an illegal target similar to a passive sensored one?

I guess the core point is that Coordinate has never had some rule that means the ship has to actually perform an action in the end--just that it's given the chance.

It's a much more restrained reading of the rules.  Trying to impute some second-order necessity for an unstressed ship doesn't really have a basis in text.

7 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I guess the core point is that Coordinate has never had some rule that means the ship has to actually perform an action in the end--just that it's given the chance.

It's a much more restrained reading of the rules.  Trying to impute some second-order necessity for an unstressed ship doesn't really have a basis in text.

I am certain that this discussion on coordinating stressed ships is answered somewhere because I remember reading about it

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gennataos said:

The Inqy brothers and sisters are in your fort.  I'm not sure if the jedi leaving matters.

In the scheme of things CLT Jedi are substantially more interesting than their 7b variant and I have been enjoying them. 

Most recently with Obi + Plo + Torrent + Torrent + Broadside. 

I do think its gonna be really refreshing to swap in ETA-2 Jedi without the weight of Fine Tuned Controls in the way. This is less about being Hux about CLT Athersprites and more about being hype for ETA-2s possibly fulfilling my original expectations of the Republic faction. Likely cheaper overall, opens up the possibility of more high ship count mixed init Republic lists, with really cool clone + jedi theme. The ETA-2 and CLT Obi/Plo likely fill just about the same roll at similar price points but one seems so much more fun than the other ( largely due to Purple Locks, No Double Re-Active Repo, No FTC, and 3 Hp ). Not to mention the ship model is substantially better looking. 

As for the 5th and 7th TAPs getting added to hyper...its not something I wanted to see happen but they also didnt really address Boba so who knows what the thought process was, probably a future timeline we cant see yet. I think it makes Empire List building alot less interesting as at their price point they make you question all other options just like the i5 RZ2As do to Resistance. Adding more force users closes off Empire Hyper list building more than it opens it up. Still limited to i4 single repositioning and I think players will gradually find out that packing them full of ordinance isn't always the best idea. Ultimately a ton better than seeing Grand Inq, and Soontir get cleared for Hyper so for that at least I am very thankful. 

So yea...swapping ETA-2 for CLT Jedi isnt about the fact that I don't want to see anything like a CLT Jedi inside the fort. Its mostly that I just want to see the more nuanced less re-active, and hopefully slightly less durable (will see how that evade works out) version of characters that I genuinely enjoy playing. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

How can you execute a red slam?

15 hours ago, gennataos said:

Can’t, as far as we know (right now). 

October can’t come soon enough for me. 

Unless I’m missing something, the answer is either version of Poe and the Black 1 title. The wording on both doesn’t seem to limit the origin of the white action.

https://imgur.com/eEJzHWY

8EFBD287-BCE6-4A8D-877F-6D082AD009F9.png

Edit: Wait. I think I found what I was missing. The wording on the SLAM action looks like SLAM must come first in the Poe action train. Got it.

Edited by SabineKey

22 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Unless I’m missing something, the answer is either version of Poe and the Black 1 title. The wording on both doesn’t seem to limit the origin of the white action.

Not really. From the Rules Reference:

A ship can perform a [SLAM] action only as the ship’s one action during the Perform Action step. Therefore a ship cannot perform a [SLAM] action if it is granted an action from another effect.

Posted (edited)

unknown.png

movement map for bb8 + black one + daredevil + overdrive thrusters

why is this card being printed, again?

edit: oh, i forgot the options applying daredevil to the bb8 boost adds, so imagine like 17 more possible end positions to the left and right and backwards, but vassal already can't take anymore ships on the board

Edited by svelok

17 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

The SLAM action itself does. 'May" in a card ability doesn't supersede "cannot" in the rulebook or rules reference.

RR page 18, underlining and bolding pertinent portion.

"SLAM (Icon action slam)
Pilots can SLAM by activating their SubLight Acceleration Motors and
careening through space at incredible speeds. A ship performs a Icon action slam action by
performing the following steps:

1. The player chooses a maneuver from the ship’s dial. The maneuver must
match the speed of the maneuver that the ship executed this round.
2. The ship executes the chosen maneuver.
3. The ship gains one disarm token.

A ship can perform a Icon action slam action only as the ship’s one action during the Perform
Action step. Therefore a ship cannot perform a Icon action slam action if it is granted an
action from another effect.

• A Icon action slam action fails if the final position of the ship would cause it to flee.

• When a ship performs a Icon action slam action, it has performed an action as well as
executed a maneuver for the sake of abilities."

2 hours ago, gennataos said:

The Inqy brothers and sisters are in your fort.  I'm not sure if the jedi leaving matters.

Seventh Sister and 5bro (without homing missiles) by themselves don't seem too bad. No Grand Inqy and crucially no generic inquisitors either.

Actually I'm a little more concerned about possible shenanigans with the Barons of the Empire and Passive Sensors...