SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

3 hours ago, Ablazoned said:

As long as it's not, like

"Look...we need to [hyperspace] talk..."

I'm not sure why everyone is reacting that way to ffgs very little info.  They used the same verbiage "hyperspace talk" when doing a stream that gave us the current hyperspace, which aside from boba has been very well received. Maybe i'm just so fickle that ffg only had to get it right once and I believe in them till they hurt me again? But I assume this is just the "hey we're adding new product and here's how our curated format will change" talk. 

6 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Panic or Party? 

YguzNmO.png

At the very end of 1st ed, in all its brokenness, when the various dark rumours about a possible second edition just had been confirmed by FFG's announcement of 2nd ed,  the local club was actually wondering about doing the hilarious thing of an overdrive of brokenness, by having a tourney where you would have been only allowed clones, i.e. your individual unique pilots were doubled (with exact same outfit). As a final, totally broken, last 1st ed good bye tourney.

But we never got around to it. Maybe for the better?

8 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

the local club was actually wondering about doing the hilarious thing of an overdrive of brokenness, by having a tourney where you would have been only allowed clones, i.e. your individual unique pilots were doubled (with exact same outfit). As a final, totally broken, last 1st ed good bye tourney.

I had posited a similar idea near the end, as well. Basically, build one ship, then multiply it as many times as you can until you fill 100 points. No restrictions on uniqueness of pilots or crew. You could have Hera crew on Hera pilot if you wanted.

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, 5050Saint said:

I had posited a similar idea near the end, as well. Basically, build one ship, then multiply it as many times as you can until you fill 100 points. No restrictions on uniqueness of pilots or crew. You could have Hera crew on Hera pilot if you wanted.

Who suffers damage if 4 1st edition Biggs are flying in formation?

just thinking out loud, this sounds pretty fun as a last hurrah to 1st edition on paper. We never got to hold ours because we had a hurricane blow through that weekend.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Who suffers damage if 4 1st edition Biggs are flying in formation?

just thinking out loud, this sounds pretty fun as a last hurrah to 1st edition on paper. We never got to hold ours because we had a hurricane blow through that weekend.

It was once per game, so if all Biggs activated, I suppose no one on your team can be targeted for a round.

Edited by 5050Saint

Here's a hot take on the upcoming points upgrade:

Remember how the Summer before 2.0 had no relevance at all anymore? From May to September 2018, there were basically no events. That is important because the continuity, the habit of playing X-Wing was broken for many people. Then the new edition launch. The combination of a broken habit and a big event is often the spark that lights some change.

This next week will be similar. For up to 5 months, people did not get to play the game in person. Only some few online events, but we all know it is simply not the same. On top of that, the base tension in many parts of the world but especially the generally more vocal US is very high. And now we get new points.

If the new points have changes as big as they should be without Covid then I expect a lot more frustration than we're used to, and quite a few people throwing the towel on X-wing.
As consequence, those remaining should add an extra level of empathy to keep the (local) communities together.

Instead of "Are you crazy, Vader was broken and Boba just abusive!" maybe "I know it sucks to change lists, but maybe try this?"

On 7/26/2020 at 2:54 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Here's a hot take on the upcoming points upgrade:

Remember how the Summer before 2.0 had no relevance at all anymore? From May to September 2018, there were basically no events. That is important because the continuity, the habit of playing X-Wing was broken for many people. Then the new edition launch. The combination of a broken habit and a big event is often the spark that lights some change.

This next week will be similar. For up to 5 months, people did not get to play the game in person. Only some few online events, but we all know it is simply not the same. On top of that, the base tension in many parts of the world but especially the generally more vocal US is very high. And now we get new points.

If the new points have changes as big as they should be without Covid then I expect a lot more frustration than we're used to, and quite a few people throwing the towel on X-wing.
As consequence, those remaining should add an extra level of empathy to keep the (local) communities together.

Instead of "Are you crazy, Vader was broken and Boba just abusive!" maybe "I know it sucks to change lists, but maybe try this?"

I’m glad Nova 2018 was a non-event./s 

I agree though.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bucknife said:

EA knows exactly what they're doing. 

Not to be a downer, but I don't see us playing any substantial X-Wing through this fall/Christmas. 

We'll all be playing Squadrons and wishing we were playing X-Wing. 

:(

Chin up, Squadrons looks cool yo. Great use of time.

Edited by RStan

12 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I’m glad Nova 2018 was a non-event./s 

I agree though.

And 2018 ETC

And 2018 Italian national, which as the last possible 1.0 event had one of the craziest and degenerate meta ever... Stacking slicers, phantoms making the cut... 

On 7/26/2020 at 8:54 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Imo, FFG did it very wrong for balance, but very very right for the health of the game in the next time.

Posted (edited)

There are some really important changes. Crackshot on 2, several ordnances came down and into hyperspace, Dorsal on 2 and in hs, v1 and interceptors (except fel and GI) in hs, sheathipede as hs crew carrier plus cheaper.

There's a lot of potential for degeneracy. Also pretty exciting!

e: smells like imperial ordnance in general, to me. Gunboats, aggressors and punishers came down.

Edited by GreenDragoon

2 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

Ensnare Sun Fac being cheaper than he's ever been feels anti-wholesome.

Icing on the cake; all other Ensnare Nantexes are actually more expensive! And Non-Ensnare Nantex is still unplayable.

Why couldn't they just actually fix Tractor this time and leave the points where they were? Oh well.

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

e: smells like imperial ordnance in general, to me. Gunboats, aggressors and punishers came down.

And yet they left the three-point gap between the Scimitar and the Gamma ace. Who on earth is paying 3 points for one initiative and a talent slot on a spam platform? Ugh.

Glad to see Ion and Cluster buffed. Sad to see PS buffed on TIE/sf. It needs a usable gunner, not more missile spam.

Everything Ezra makes me happy.

Also very happy that Baron of the Empire is Hyperspace but generic Inquisitor isn't.

Cannons are still crying in a corner. So tired of being whipping boys for the faults of ... literally no one.

Ensnare nantex were one of the biggest mistake xwing has ever seen, first edition included. I'm glad they chose to ban it. 

This had the side effect of mostly killing a cool ship concept, but it's a price we should be paying happily 

FO got some really great changes. Being able to plug a Sienar Jaemus into a squad for less than two Epsilon FOs will be nice. Two jaemus for less than 100pts is good value as well.

Supernatty Kylo + 2 sienar jaemus?