SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

43 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

@theBitterFig I like the 1dmg idea, but it's not compatible with 2.0

To be sure.

*put on "Ain't I a Sinker" face*

But so is 2 red dice with focus being scary. :D

41 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

At some point the simplicity was an important argument in favor of Xwing. It is likely gone anyway, so FFG might as well embrace higher complexity with special dice.

I mean, yes, but I find this:

220?cb=20150825022932

far more confusing than this:

dicechart.png?w=736

Everything reduces to hit/not at some point.  Same with the defense equivalent.

Going back to the Imperial Assault dice: I have no clue what the best color is for the dice, and it's going to vary unit-to-unit, since the surges have really different effects.  I know there was some AT-ST which got to pick what dice it wanted, and like... *confuse*

I really like the thought of picking up a pool of dice, rolling them, doing any mods, then counting my hits.  I'd rather see complexity at the dice pool step, than the counting-the-hits step.

43 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Okay so by "hit or crit depending on dice" you mean that the attack is considered a hit or a crit base on if there is a crit result is remaining in the attack roll after canceling or is it based on which result is there more of in the remaining results?

I'd meant: if there were any crits remaining in the dice pool after evades cancelling results, the defender would suffer a crit.  If only hits, they'd suffer a hit.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, yes, but I find this:

220?cb=20150825022932

far more confusing

I do to since apparently the image isn't showing up.

is this the image you were trying to link to?

300?cb=20150825022932

Edited by Hiemfire

I want points to happen because I know what I like to play and it’s all kind of samey and boring (for my opponents?  Definitely not me) and maybe it’ll be a little different with points?

i don’t even care about winning/competitive/whatever, I just don’t want to bore folks I play. 

On 7/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, svelok said:

I think that reality might basically be a myth

Maybe, maybe not. No one seems to have a problem with ion turret. The requirement for 2 hits will always hold it back but it could still be useful.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:34 PM, svelok said:

And that beside, listbuilding counters are bad, and "very situational" upgrades are by definition going to be bad.

Also agree, unless the meta gets saturated with a single archetype at which point it begs the question of whether effective counters exist.

Every list has good and bad matchups and needs a game plan against other common lists. List-building is the first step though.

I don’t care if ion Missiles (or even cannons) remain quite  rare, in the range of current Tarkin. I’d just like to feel like I could ever personally, even casually use them without feeling like I was binding my own hands.

I would suppose we are likely not to agree on this though.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd rather see complexity at the dice pool step, than the counting-the-hits step.

This. Been playing FFGs Star Wars RPG at home with my boys, neutralising results is complex. The amount of friction generated between them, over sloppy or impatient handling at that stage, indicates a somewhat intense unsuitability for the carnage of a crowded game store on X Wing tourney day.

There isn't even a win/lose riding on it 😕

Edited by Cuz05

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Tangential question: What was the third best hyperspace list? So, ignoring boba and separatist swarms?

Candidates include Kylo + [usually gang over aces but goes both ways], [Fangs or Scyks or Fangs + Scyks], and generic Jedi permutations.

Oh hey, they're nearly all passive-mods ships.

Edited by theBitterFig

25 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Tangential question: What was the third best hyperspace list? So, ignoring boba and separatist swarms?

fang gang?

6 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Destroys CIS

can't wait for jango fett to invalidate half the CIS faction anyways

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Fang Gang, Kylo+,  Vader+, CIS Swarm, 5A, Jedi Knights, Luke+, Han+.....

If Boba gets brought down to earth and CIS stays nearly exactly as is so much changes its insane.

I honestly don't know the answer. Probably involves Purple though. 

Edited by Boom Owl

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Fang Gang, Kylo+,  Vader+, CIS Swarm, 5A, Jedi Knights, Luke+, Han+.....

Hey, no cis swarm!

can you fill in some +es for me? I have really no idea. Fang Gang, jedi and 5A are clear enough to me, but not the rest

Kylo+ looks like kylo scorch and then what? Tina? Epsilon? Rivas? Muse? SFs?

Vader+ to me looks like Vader +6 ties or Vader Duchess and 3. But I haven't seen them do well tbh, so no idea.

Luke+ has two very different lists for me. Luke Lando and something, could be Jake or Thane (i5!), Braylen, or Dutch. The other type is a 4ship rebel, again with Luke Braylen and probably generics or an Awing

No idea on Han+

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Hey, no cis swarm!

can you fill in some +es for me? I have really no idea. Fang Gang, jedi and 5A are clear enough to me, but not the rest

Kylo+ looks like kylo scorch and then what? Tina? Epsilon? Rivas? Muse? SFs?

Vader+ to me looks like Vader +6 ties or Vader Duchess and 3. But I haven't seen them do well tbh, so no idea.

Luke+ has two very different lists for me. Luke Lando and something, could be Jake or Thane (i5!), Braylen, or Dutch. The other type is a 4ship rebel, again with Luke Braylen and probably generics or an Awing

No idea on Han+

Kylo + definitely doesnt involve Scorch. 4 Eps with torps is decent. Torps 2 eps and Vonreg or Holo also pretty ok. Or a few sfs and an fo. Kylo France + 3 FOs also not terrible. I wouldnt be shocked to see three ship Kylo Vonreg/Holo Silencer working ok without Boba and Cis around to. As far as not Kylo I still really like Holo/Vonreg + France + 3 FOs. 

Vader Duch + 4 ties is pretty solid to. I like that better than the version with target locking fifth bro duch but thats a preference thing. Run it alot, both lists are solid. Vader Duch lists have never once disappointed me in Hyperspace besides one or two boba matchups where I used Vader wrong.

Luke Braylen Ten Jake is still decent. And Luke Han Braylen is better than people give it credit for probably. 

Syck gang would also still exist and various FO swarms (not just Focho) of which there are at least 3-4 I could see being relevant.

On net Kylo would be the main concern not named Fenn because he is so **** durable and I think still 4 pts to cheap.

Personally I think removing CIS swarm would cause a bunch of problems. Its the main thing creating a legitimate reason to keep ship counts up besides a handful of other much less good lists.

Edited by Boom Owl

11 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

You are living in a fantasy world. You can only fit 7. :D 

Not fantasy. Future.

MealyJointBobolink-size_restricted.gif

Frankly, either Ruthless should be free (I think it should) or the Black Squadron Ace should be 24 points. Most imp ships overpay for the talent slot, especially while the faction talent is overpriced.

Oh, I know it wouldn't be good. But it would be so much fun...

1 minute ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Frankly, either Ruthless should be free (I think it should)

With OP likely not being exactly common in the next season, I think now is the perfect time to try 0 point Ruthless out. It will be on every Empire ship with an empty talent, but it already has a negative cost is it's self damaging nature.

Just now, 5050Saint said:

It will be on every Empire ship with an empty talent

See to me that just feels fluffy and super-fits the theme of the faction.

No more harmful than free JB on empty cannon slots IMO.

After all, it seems the standing orders for imps in general are "Destroy that ship at all costs!" so... why not?

Posted (edited)

What if you made it so that every ship in a faction regardless of Talent slot could take the faction talent (Ruthless, Selfless etc.), paying its regular cost (and consuming the slot). Fearless and Fanatical might need to go up in cost, but it might help out some of the less powerhouse upgrades?

Edited by Transmogrifier

59 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

What if you made it so that every ship in a faction regardless of Talent slot could take the faction talent (Ruthless, Selfless etc.), paying its regular cost (and consuming the slot). Fearless and Fanatical might need to go up in cost, but it might help out some of the less powerhouse upgrades?

You just sold me on Fearless Zealous Recruits. As long as they're less than naked Skulls, I'm in.

1 hour ago, Transmogrifier said:

If the Mando is any indication (they are)

38 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

You just sold me on Fearless Zealous Recruits. As long as they're less than naked Skulls, I'm in.

Fearless available to all of S&V without a price reduction = no net change in it's deployment limitations. Putting it in any ship build without that ship having easy defensive mods is a no go... (and before it is brought up, Talonbane's "defensive mods" in Old Para's list was Old T ******* with tokens and Ketsu scaring the ever loving **** out of anyone in arc)