SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

The separatists really have only had success with extremes of ship count. Double scimitar or full eight swarm. I’m hoping missile roomba and a potential tri fighter opens up something in the five to six bodies range. I guess the proxy hyenas were decent and a six body list? The sun fac, Chertek, Grevious was a bit flash in the pan without much success.  Sun Fac + 6 was as close as they have been to ace + squad. 

6 hours ago, AEIllingworth said:

The separatists really have only had success with extremes of ship count. Double scimitar or full eight swarm. I’m hoping missile roomba and a potential tri fighter opens up something in the five to six bodies range. I guess the proxy hyenas were decent and a six body list? The sun fac, Chertek, Grevious was a bit flash in the pan without much success.  Sun Fac + 6 was as close as they have been to ace + squad. 

I dunno.  Seps have had some reasonable success with Scimitar + Vultures.  It was an earlier style of design, eventually outclassed by Sear Swarm, but Dooku + 6 probably saw as much play or more than Sun Fac + 6.

11 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Ensnare + 6-7 was great for a brief period of time. Some screenshots of Wave 5 for no particular reason other than PBM is neat.

bXmAcXe.png

QKEM0KN.png

Where you get this from, and is there a faction by faction breakdown? Thing looks very interesting!

I don't remember the last time I ended a game 200 to x. 

And I usually win more than I lose. 

And I don't play aces. 

And I had to search for this thread while drunl wtf is wrong with you guys?

On aside note I finally tried the 5as: Still unbeaten so far (opponents were not star players thought), but it's not a list for me, I had to play standing up much more than I usually do... And tournaments are won by the less exhausted player more often than not

After catching up on what felt like 500 pages, I have some thoughts that may be pertinent/nonsense/obvious/worthless.

XYs Chertek, Petronaki, Grievous, 404 list was dirty good, though illegal now. After having a few games against my lad, him using 2 Discord Vultures instead of the Petronaki, I feel like Seps have more to offer than the extremes. But it does get complicated.

Also, Scyks are still fairly decent without cannons. Which might tie in to SF/RZ2 blather. 3ag, though variable, is not nothing, since smart play can help mitigate variance. The Scyk/RZ2 can and will just pop, but also, it will simply not. For ever. The 2ag though, as an opponent, you know what's gonna happen to it and can play into that more dependably. I feel like it's a thing.

The sequel pair have a lot of natural advantages over the Scyk ofc, so if you're dropping the cannon, you really want half the list being not-Scyk, to enable that whole smart play variance mitigation deal. They can be a massive nuisance, without being an source of obvious hurt.

They don't seem underpriced without the cannon to me. Maybe it's a force multiplier wotsit. With cannon, maybes. Without... meh?

1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Also, Scyks are still fairly decent without cannons. Which might tie in to SF/RZ2 blather. 3ag, though variable, is not nothing, since smart play can help mitigate variance. The Scyk/RZ2 can and will just pop, but also, it will simply not. For ever. The 2ag though, as an opponent, you know what's gonna happen to it and can play into that more dependably. I feel like it's a thing.

I thought it was a bit more comparable to the TIE/fo, at 2/3/3/1 so almost identical stat-line. But the FO has much better movement and positioning flexibility in exchange for the Scyk's potential to bring weapons.

Still think Ion/Tractor/HLC should come back down a bit and/or that it should be scaled off of primary weapon value. 3-primaries just get so little utility out of them and double-taps should be paid for elsewhere. Same goes for Ion/Cluster/Concussion missiles.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Still think Ion/Tractor/HLC should come back down a bit

You really don’t.

• ion gets cheap enough to be good and one player doesn’t get to play anymore 
  • tractor gets any cheaper and people just strap it on to make the cannon carrier cheaper... negative point upgrades should not be a thing
  • HLC... eh... okay, maybe. Haven’t put much thought it to this one so can’t say

edit: oops, was thinking jamming beam....

Edited by LagJanson

36 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I think it's less about a direct comparison between a Scyk and RZ2/SF, but about the experience of playing against them. 

People care more about the RZ2, a large part because the 2-agi SF will go down in time, but these 3-agi ships can have those times where they just will not die.

Yeah, this. Less the direct comparison than the agility aspect of ships that have been talked about. With a slight hint of the spammability of such things.

The Scyk/FO comparison is not so much a current conversation piece. Apart from the mention of Focho being notably better than pure Scyk spam. Which I'd certainly agree with. The dial difference is kinda big, 1 banks are very nice, but less useful in a swarm context.

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Still think Ion/Tractor/HLC should come back down a bit and/or that it should be scaled off of primary weapon value. 3-primaries just get so little utility out of them and double-taps should be paid for elsewhere. Same goes for Ion/Cluster/Concussion missiles.

What makes the game more fun if 3 dice secondaries are viable on 3 dice primary platforms? I really don't think there's a good answer, and plenty of reason to think at least ion being good makes the game actively worse.

Thematic listbuilding shouldn't and doesn't take priority over fun gameplay.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LagJanson said:

ion gets cheap enough to be good and one player doesn’t get to play anymore 

1 hour ago, svelok said:

ion being good makes the game actively worse

I certainly don't want Ion to be "Good" as any kind of primary strategy, ever. But I think it should be an acceptable but very situational tool for dealing with aces and Jedi specifically. Control is best balanced when its primary use is keeping ridiculous positioning pieces and/or points fortresses in check by adequately punishing poor dial choices. Ion torpedoes and turret are priced perfectly IMO. The other two are currently priced out of usability except for Scyks. 1-2  points down would be plenty to make them playable again.

2 hours ago, LagJanson said:

tractor gets any cheaper and people just strap it on to make the cannon carrier cheaper... negative point upgrades should not be a thing

Last I checked it was 2 points. It should be one point and they should fix the tractor rules to be what everyone agrees they should be.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

18 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Last I checked it was 2 points. It should be one point and they should fix the tractor rules to be what everyone agrees they should be.

It got bumped up from 2 to 3 in january... definitely a bit overpriced.

HLC is probably the standout worst cannon though, it just doesn't have a target most of the time, and it costs 5 points. You need high initiative and reposition for it to shine, basically it's for T-70 x-wing aces, and not much else(and even that is partially because of how their foils work). Useless on scyks.

1 minute ago, Cerebrawl said:

HLC is probably the standout worst cannon though, it just doesn't have a target most of the time, and it costs 5 points. You need high initiative and reposition for it to shine, basically it's for T-70 x-wing aces, and not much else(and even that is partially because of how their foils work). Useless on scyks.

Not only that but it absolutely turns off most talents (crack shot, marksmanship, predator) so as often as  not you're better off using your 3-primary anyway! It would maybe be fine at 3.

Stabilized S-foils are priced funky and make it confusing though. I say if you can make bullseye with a B-Wing you deserve the reward.

25 minutes ago, Cerebrawl said:

It's not that bad on generic Defenders.  Against Medium/Large ships, it'll trigger more often than you'd expect, and while not stellar against small ships, it's still one of the few ways you can actually increase the offense on one of these largely-defensive ships.

24 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

It's not that bad on generic Defenders.  Against Medium/Large ships, it'll trigger more often than you'd expect, and while not stellar against small ships, it's still one of the few ways you can actually increase the offense on one of these largely-defensive ships.

In particular, it punishes ships that would dare to block a delta's 4k.

1 hour ago, Cerebrawl said:

Unless we talk Epic. HLC Scyks or also HLC T70 and HLC Gunbloats eat Huge ships for breakfast.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I certainly don't want Ion to be "Good" as any kind of primary strategy, ever. But I think it should be an acceptable but very situational tool for dealing with aces and Jedi specifically.

I think that reality might basically be a myth.

And that beside, listbuilding counters are bad, and "very situational" upgrades are by definition going to be bad.