Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

So, I'm reading all of your well thought out and typed opinions, and it led me to have a simple question: is this idea to create more thought and planning before each round or is it to create more of a since of gambling?

Ether way, especially the latter, seems to make well crafted pints even more a part of the game.

 

The former, is my guess. Eliminates the "ace dance" since the player better dang well know what they're doing before they find themselves lodged in four or five arcs. Boosting and rolling out is no longer an option unless you expected it.

1 hour ago, kris40k said:

I am fairly sure Boom Owl is already high as **** while he's playing. 

That's probably also true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

The former, is my guess. Eliminates the "ace dance" since the player better dang well know what they're doing before they find themselves lodged in four or five arcs. Boosting and rolling out is no longer an option unless you expected it.

That's probably also true?

That would definitely take Ace play down quite a notch. 

...and among the generics:

48V8kRX.gif

1 hour ago, kris40k said:

I am fairly sure Boom Owl is already high as **** while he's playing. 

Boom Owl sounds like he's the hero we all deserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all very wholesome and I absolutely applaud the intent behind the various refinements continually suggested here. 

But.

Many, many people default to the simplest, most effective way to get results. A lot of the things people in this thread want to see would only further add to the mass generic joust off that has been growing in the wake of the successive price changes and HS restrictions.

I'm fine with that being a thing. But if it's 80% of my games, I'm out. I can't think of a more boring slog of a day than just trying to avoid one charge after another. I'd honestly rather try to pin impossible aces.

I do very much like the idea of a purer game, that can be played in the rarified atmosphere of sporting folk with nice lists that plan to play a game of manoeuvring. I fear a meta that simply says here's 50 health and a big block of death, joust me bro, again and again.

I exaggerate, but I think there's more to consider than just 'remove what I don't like'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flurpy said:

The vast majority of community suggestions in this thread and in general just prove that we would be horrible game designers and why people spend years educating themselves on the topic. So yeah this is nothing new. 

I agree, but I want to point out that this thread has often rather nice ideas that might fail for practical reasons more often than for others.

Outside of this thread though... uh... yeah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flurpy said:

The vast majority of community suggestions in this thread and in general just prove that we would be horrible game designers and why people spend years educating themselves on the topic. So yeah this is nothing new. 

So this.

If we're honest, aren't we all actually glad we don't actually wield the levers of power?

 

...though a good tea makes one ponder the wonders of such control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

It's all very wholesome and I absolutely applaud the intent behind the various refinements continually suggested here. 

But. Many, many people default to the simplest, most effective way to get results. A lot of the things people in this thread want to see would only further add to the mass generic joust off that has been growing in the wake of the successive price changes and HS restrictions.

I agree. I find the idea interesting, but it seriously benefits one of the strongest factions out there currently, the droids. They are pretty much locked in to their actions before a turn starts: Calc or Calc -> Roll with an occasional Lock or Reload. And since they will be moving first, it's highly unlikely that their action will be blocked.

Honestly, I'd be fine with this as a side event, but to put into organized play would greatly increase joust-wing. And really, joust wing is in a really strong spot right now, no need to make it stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Planning Phase Only X-Wing is just something fun to mess with since nothing matters right now anyway. Its not an actual suggestion for what to do with 2.0 as it would basically be a different game. 

I do think that all premovement abilities would immediately benefit from moving closer to the planning phase. Id settle for systems. 

Random unrelated ramble, variations on Jousting are 75% of players default choice going back to 1.0 and any format/point cycle of 2.0. More Jousts is not at all a feature unique to this cycles hyperspace options. If anything I have found myself playing games where I see actual consistent benefits to not jousting completely. Opposed to previous cycles where Empire or Republic Trip Ace Jousting basically anything seemed mostly fine. 

More importantly....Aces and Fat Turrets are not the only things that can be successful by not direct jousting and generics are not the only things that joust. Repositioning is not required to not joust.

Edited by Boom Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

More importantly....Aces and Fat Turrets are not the only things that can be successful by not direct jousting and generics are not the only things that joust. Repositioning is not required to not joust.

True, not so cut and dry.

Fenn and other named Fangs are Aces, yet man they joust like beasts. Always best to be on the piloting end of those 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dismal Scientist said:

re: actions in planning phase-
This would be easy to implement. You one-sided tokens representing the action or actions chosen face down on each ship card. You reveal the tokens after you activate that ship.

 

MOAR TOKENS!

Easy to implement, but we can't overcomplicate the game. It's already a turn off to some new players if they don't have prior miniature experience.

Edited by Smikies02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Random unrelated ramble, variations on Jousting are 75% of players default choice going back to 1.0 and any format/point cycle of 2.0. More Jousts is not at all a feature unique to this cycles hyperspace options. If anything I have found myself playing games where I see actual consistent benefits to not jousting completely. Opposed to previous cycles where Empire or Republic Trip Ace Jousting basically anything seemed mostly fine. 

All the agrees.

Kinda why I very like where things sort of are and am reticent on changes with potentially unforeseen results.

I'd be fine with Systems phase pre-moves. My favourites by far are the SuperInqs, feels like cheating when they can react. Much more satisfying doing that biz before the opponent moves.

And Echo ❤️

But I do like Precog Vader too, I'm not entirely guilt free 😄

I do find AS Guri kind of unrewarding though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, LagJanson said:

Disney employs a legal department that actively looks around the internet for infringements. In the past it’s gone after ridiculously petty things for which Disney as a company has needed to apologize for. Don’t bet on the virus shutting things down, plenty of companies are still running business as usual... (and demanding we show up to the office)

I buy enough ships that I don’t use to justify playing on vassal - I wish I experimented more with my 5 Naboo star fighter build before I bought them or the 5 Y build I used once.  I think vassal drives sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, freakyg3 said:

I buy enough ships that I don’t use to justify playing on vassal - I wish I experimented more with my 5 Naboo star fighter build before I bought them or the 5 Y build I used once.  I think vassal drives sales. 

No doubt, but I don't think Disney would see it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

No doubt, but I don't think Disney would see it that way.

More to the point, Disney almost certainly doesn't even get that far in decision-making.

If people violate IP rights, the IP rights get weaker and weaker with each violation the rights-holder doesn't pursue.  The legal concepts of estoppel and waiver, just for example, are based on an entity with rights doing something (or not doing something) now that keeps them from being able to exercise those rights later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

More to the point, Disney almost certainly doesn't even get that far in decision-making.

If people violate IP rights, the IP rights get weaker and weaker with each violation the rights-holder doesn't pursue.  The legal concepts of estoppel and waiver, just for example, are based on an entity with rights doing something (or not doing something) now that keeps them from being able to exercise those rights later.

Which imo brings us back to the start: don't force their hand, keep a low profile, and leave them an out with plausible deniability.

I'm also participating in the Goldnock, but over 225 participants is not quite the low profile. It's probably going to be alright, I'm just a bit anxious about online xwing getting busted sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like disney/lfl has gotten lazier of late with protecting the star wars license. I remember a time when people who sell third party alt arts had to jump through hoops to profit off of them. If my facebook feed is any indication, those parties are more than happy to openly sell those items with no strings attached again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I want an i5 T70 Xwing with 2 force and the ability to turn a blank into a hit. No particular reason.

Might not be a T70, but a T65 and Rey might be the answer with 3 force (possibly)  if she’s included in the Resistance Aces Pack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cgriffith said:

Might not be a T70, but a T65 and Rey might be the answer with 3 force (possibly)  if she’s included in the Resistance Aces Pack. 

I don't think they would do that, to add another ship with just a single pilot. Think about it, that would make half of the pack extremely specific if they include a model. And if they don't include a model then you have to buy extra to get it? Seems unlikely to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...