SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

36 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

I guess my surprise is that she's a splashy new pilot with purple on her card but there are barely any documented attempts to try and make her work. Meanwhile, everyone is trying to make double tapping B-Wings happen (11 squads in MetaWing for Falcon Leia, 43 Squads for Stabilized S-Foils).

Seriously, Leia is a Dunkin' pilot.  Pink Force with an Orange 5.

36 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

I guess my surprise is that she's a splashy new pilot with purple on her card but there are barely any documented attempts to try and make her work. Meanwhile, everyone is trying to make double tapping B-Wings happen (11 squads in MetaWing for Falcon Leia, 43 Squads for Stabilized S-Foils).

I flew her at my store champ. Was 2-0 before losing two super close games - one to crazy opponent greens, and one to a single bad choice on my part. My 2-2 could easily have been 4-0 or 3-1. A better player than me went 4-0 with it at another hyperspace event the month before. I think the issue is that people look at Leia and think that Lando is 'better' because his ability is more flexible. Then they think that Lando hasn't been a success, and so they assume that Leia will also be bad because she's not as good as Lando. 

I think Leia pips Lando, simply because she is a very, very cheap force empowered falcon. i5 with 13 health and two actions. I added K2S0 crew (so good) too to open up even more action economy. 

Like people slept on Rebel Han for a bit before Jack spotted handbrake Han and won UK SoS with it a year ago, I think Leia will slumber for a while until some other stuff is nerfed and she hits her stride.

6 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Ten + Autoblaster and S-Foil is 53pts and shoots like 2 ships (depending on bullseye, 2 3x dice ships). Comparatively pretty easy to slot in especially since Rebels have been 4-ships foe most of 2.0.

Why not both? Leia, Luke (R5-D8), Ten Nunb (Autoblasters, S-Foils)...

19 minutes ago, Rich P said:

I think the issue is that people look at Leia and think that Lando is 'better' because his ability is more flexible. Then they think that Lando hasn't been a success, and so they assume that Leia will also be bad because she's not as good as Lando.

It might help people to recognize that Lando essentially costs 5 more points since he is always rolling with his homie Nien. Leia is kinda, sorta, from a certain point of view, 5 points cheaper.

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

In extended I just take the highest initiative list ( essentially two options total ) that is the most mobile effective jouster and I am pretty much good to go. 

Great post, and agreed on the final point, HS for serious competition, but why do this if you're not keen on the gameplay and level of strategizing?

So, in Extended, as previously noted, I have a jank combo list that hard counters high Init aces that don't really plan ahead. A smart player, like yourself, is not going to just walk into it and die, so a good game is on hand..... (I do labour this point to ace players beforehand- it will not be a good game if you autopilot. And then some still do. Shrug.)

Also, it is itself quite handily countered by the very prevalent beef and swarm archetypes...  But not quite hard countered....

As a result  I have a list that creates fascinating games where on table decisions are the be all and end all, whoever takes most notice of the varying possibilities and navigates through them the best, should win.

I don't love it because it auto wins against joust my aces bruh, that's actually the thing I like least about it. In fact, I kinda hate it for that... People can occasionally get needlessly salty when you won't play the non-game they want you to, I fear that unthinking approach :(

Why I love it, is because it's original, extremely different, very funny, and leads to very tactical games where dials matter... against smart opponents, anyway. Also against unsmart opponents who just joust it with their beef/numbers, I have to work hard and think plenty then. It's a list that consistantly rewards good flying and punishes the opposite, on both sides.

I get that people do not like card combo lists, but that isn't the point of them here, they don't provide the win-con. The egregious nastiness it's capable of is much more about levelling the playing field so that dials actually matter. Many of the effects won't come into play at all, if countered with good positioning.

I don't just play with this list ofc, I'm addicted to change, but it does embody my entire approach to the format. Creating original lists that give me good tactical games while keeping me at least kind of competitive. It's a nice challenge.

So, I mean, why make Extended a lame experience? There are other ways. Which is why I like it, I can walk my own path, which HS, god bless it, kinda restricts. Which is why I like a break from it.

No offence, you do you ofc, one love n all, but it's a genuine question I keep asking myself about Extended unfans.

Sorry, I said I'd shut up about this didn't I....

37 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

It might help people to recognize that Lando essentially costs 5 more points since he is always rolling with his homie Nien. Leia is kinda, sorta, from a certain point of view, 5 points cheaper.

Why choose?

You can get Leia, Nien Lando and Jake for 199

5 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

Question: Why isn't Falcon Leia seeing more use in HS?

I ran Leia 3X in a store kit tournament about a month ago she did good work. She's a solid ship - it's a double modded, 3 dice, boosting turret at I5 that can tank a decent amount of fire and then kite and has a pilot ability that is better than it seems on paper. She's a pretty hard counter to Fangs, which are all over the place right now and has the speed/arc coverage to keep Boba fairly honest.

Is nobody flying Rebels? Are Rebel players getting stuck trying to run architect builds? She's not broken, but she's solidly A-tier without any upgrades...

I’m not sure either

i have been wanting to run this

leia with c3po

luke with r2

jake with outmaneuver 

seems really good on paper and if leia is in multiple arcs you get 3 calculates to help you take multiple shots....very surprised I have not seen some version of this

4 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

I'm in kind of a weird spot where I don't have anything bigger than a store champ on the horizon, so i'm favoring trying things rather than honing them. I basically play a list till i've decided it's "good enough" or "not good enough". I have at least 2 Leia lists filed under "good enough." The lack of good cheap filler (sorry y wings) hurts if you want to bring friends with words, so the lists definitely don't feel as sexy as stacks of upgrades or as pure as swarms. All that said, if i could make Krayt cup this weekend, i'd probably be playing her. 

3 minutes ago, catachanninja said:
4 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

I'm in kind of a weird spot where I don't have anything bigger than a store champ on the horizon, so i'm favoring trying things rather than honing them. I basically play a list till i've decided it's "good enough" or "not good enough"

Same team. Theres enough stuff in hyper that mostly works that its hard to justify playing any one list for to long. Resistance falls into that category, finally trying a bunch of things I mostly ignored prior. Trying to figure out Vader lists has been entertaining to.

13 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Are stabilized S-foils bad? They kinda feel... lackluster. 

The card is a bit of a trap on upgrade investment. 

Should you put this on all BWings...No.

Should you put this on Ten Numb...Yes.

Should you put cannon upgrades on every BWing equipped with SFoils...No.

Are any of the BWing pilots with SFoils worth putting any cannon on them...IDK yet, but it hasn't shown a good return on investment yet. 

4 minutes ago, RStan said:

Are any of the BWing pilots with SFoils worth putting any cannon on them...IDK yet, but it hasn't shown a good return on investment yet. 

I agree with the rest. On this point... I don't know. It seems to me that even a hull upgrade is often a better investment than an autoblaster if you have 3 points to spare. But now that FCS works with cannons it might be ok to take both? That's 5 points for another (sometimes) modified attack, and that is tremendous value. It also increases the chance that Ten gets to spend the focus, which is something to consider.

I like 55pt Braylen with hull, and 55pt Ten with autoblaster FCS foils. I'm recently enamoured with intimidation Arvel/Zari, and that would leave 53 points here. Even a proton torp dutch seems ok with those.

I must sound like a broken record by now, but I'm really surprised just how good rebels can be at the moment. I do not understand why people prefer 5X over Braylen Ten Dutch Arvel. That second list can literally remove an xwing per turn.

The attacks are all pseudo or actually double modified 3 dice attacks:

• Braylen has focus + 2 rerolls
  • Ten has lock (with fcs if wanted) and his focus ability, plus an extra 2-4 dice attack because why not
  • Dutch has a 4dice attack with lock, which leads to an average 3 hits and as such is even better than double modified 3 dice, plus he can toss a lock to Arvel
  • Arvel has a r0-1 attack with focus and a lock - and makes all attacks better if at r0.

That is a lot of firepower against lower initiative lists - it actually beats the BigXXXDeal and shoots at higher inititative, cares less about stress, and has better individual ships.

Dutch remains useful even while turning around. Ten is a beast and distracts from Braylen. Dutch is a stupid target because he is kinda sorta toothless after two torpedoes, so why waste shots there? And then he reloads and keeps going. Arvel makes everyone better and can even close a game if it ever gets that far.

25 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I must sound like a broken record by now, but I'm really surprised just how good rebels can be at the moment. I do not understand why people prefer 5X over Braylen Ten Dutch Arvel. That second list can literally remove an xwing per turn.

The attacks are all pseudo or actually double modified 3 dice attacks:

• Braylen has focus + 2 rerolls
  • Ten has lock (with fcs if wanted) and his focus ability, plus an extra 2-4 dice attack because why not
  • Dutch has a 4dice attack with lock, which leads to an average 3 hits and as such is even better than double modified 3 dice, plus he can toss a lock to Arvel
  • Arvel has a r0-1 attack with focus and a lock - and makes all attacks better if at r0.

That is a lot of firepower against lower initiative lists - it actually beats the BigXXXDeal and shoots at higher inititative, cares less about stress, and has better individual ships.

Dutch remains useful even while turning around. Ten is a beast and distracts from Braylen. Dutch is a stupid target because he is kinda sorta toothless after two torpedoes, so why waste shots there? And then he reloads and keeps going. Arvel makes everyone better and can even close a game if it ever gets that far.

4 Ship Rebel also can punch through Boba. 

I must sound like a broken record by now, but I'm really surprised just how good rebels can be at the moment.

I'm just surprised you aren't flying Resistance. :P 

I do not understand why people prefer 5X over Braylen Ten Dutch Arvel. That second list can literally remove an xwing per turn.

Two reasons:

1. X-Wings can really move.  That Focus > Boost is great.

2. People hate generics, but people also love generics.  It's usually not the same people, but it sometimes is.

3sfy9m.jpg

Just now, theBitterFig said:

I'm just surprised you aren't flying Resistance. :P 

Those times when I said I'm pretty much factions agnostic I actually meant it ^^
Rebel, Resistance, Empire, First Order - no matter to me, they all have their charms. I don't get Scum, don't care about Republic anymore, and have never even bought droids.

4 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Two reasons:

1. X-Wings can really move.  That Focus > Boost is great.

2. People hate generics, but people also love generics.  It's usually not the same people, but it sometimes is.

I was thinking more that an extra arc is good against aces. Personally I don't care about generics in principle, more about the amount of orange and words.
The boost has such a high cost though, no? It's great to block or run, but I'm too much red-dice oriented.

20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

The boost has such a high cost though, no? It's great to block or run, but I'm too much red-dice oriented.

It's a really good tool to have, though.  Being able to forget that you're a Kihraxz and pretend to be an A-Wing when you want to can come in handy.

It won't be an every turn thing, but the potential for range control, for bending the arc faster, for blocking: all great.  And a Range 1 shot on Closed S-Foils will be the same three dice as a Range 2 shot with Open S-Foils.

Ability to leverage that linked action when it's useful is probably one of the biggest things which separates weaker 5X players from stronger 5X players.