SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

38 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

<Looks at what has been happening distribution side> <Looks at what has been happening in the region that X-Wing's components are produced> : Yah, I think the decision by Organized Play to have Extended still remain as a competitive format at the level it is makes sense...

Uh... the next wave hits April, the wave after wouldn’t have been for worlds anyway.

i think they can make it for worlds, if they chose hyperspace.

but I guess everyone needs their whispers and Soontirs, just in case 

34 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

So I diced my way through 3 games against 4x T70 today. Played 1 of the several Boba plus Fang/s in my other 1. Had a lot of fun. Like really a lot.

2x BH, 3x Spacer is legit.

But I'm seeing a lot more variety in Extended. I quite like variety.

I suspect what you’re seeing is people choosing to play less efficient lists for more fun.

i suspect that in extended, the gaps between S-, A-, and B- tiers are larger than hyperspace.

itd be hard for them to not be.

the main question is how much bigger those gaps are, and how many lists fit within each tier.

last worlds, there really wasn’t many actual lists In each tier (but each list had variants).

We’ll see what FFG does with points balancing.

Just now, Tlfj200 said:

We’ll see what FFG does with points balancing.

Absolutely fair. I'd just like to amend this to we will see. Because I think things might be a little different now. 

But if they resettle to old, like many expect, I am fine with that. Bring me your aces... I have ridiculous tech now :D

Counterpoint to all the HS love:

My opinion of HS is that there are Boba and Droids. And then a decent gap in the power level, before everything else. 

Not sure that is ok???

[Caveat:¬†I much prefer to play HS than Extended. And i¬†have more fun, even when i win less. So¬†am still Team HS, despite its faults. ūü§Ē

That is probably because Extended is so degenerate when you remember all the stuff that is possible if people try-hard. Which they correctly will for Regionals/Nationals/Worlds.]

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cuz05 said:

Absolutely fair. I'd just like to amend this to we will see. Because I think things might be a little different now. 

But if they resettle to old, like many expect, I am fine with that. Bring me your aces... I have ridiculous tech now :D

I mean, on one hand, hard countering aces is an odd strategy.

on the other, they were like 40ish % of the meta last points, so maybe.

addendum:

’i teched to a worse coin flip’ still seems like a bold strategy.

Edited by Tlfj200

8 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I mean, on one hand, hard countering aces is an odd strategy.

on the other, they were like 40ish % of the meta last points, so maybe.

addendum:

’i teched to a worse coin flip’ still seems like a bold strategy.

Oh it's not a strategy, I just like stupid things :D

9 hours ago, Darth Seridur said:

My opinion of HS is that there are Boba and Droids. And then a decent gap in the power level, before everything else. 

I agree with @Tlfj200 when he says :

10 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

i suspect that in extended, the gaps between S-, A-, and B- tiers are larger than hyperspace.

itd be hard for them to not be.

HS has closer gaps and more lists per "tier". Even though I think tiers are not all that useful in the first place.

Just now, player2072913 said:

I seem to win over 60% of my extended games, and only about 30% of my hyperspace games.

I suck at xwing and should be losing more than I win. 

Therefore from my perspective hyperspace is more balanced. 

To drill down on this further, I generally don't like taking so-called S-tier lists, but will often take something A-tier or A-. The average hyperspace list is probably closer to being A-tier than the average extended list. 

34 minutes ago, player2072913 said:

To drill down on this further, I generally don't like taking so-called S-tier lists, but will often take something A-tier or A-. The average hyperspace list is probably closer to being A-tier than the average extended list. 

I more think that tiers are not a good way to think about it. I prefer dynamic ranges, but my article on why is hanging since April last year

the 10 most common archetypes in current hyperspace make up 18.95% of all squads (four of them are scum)

the 10 most common archetypes in wave 4/5 "look how much variety there is widest meta ever I hate how much hyperspace limits my options now why can't I ru..."

the 10 most common archetypes in wave 4/5 extended made up 16.29% of all squads (five of them were empire)

5 hours ago, svelok said:

the 10 most common archetypes in current hyperspace make up 18.95% of all squads (four of them are scum)

the 10 most common archetypes in wave 4/5 "look how much variety there is widest meta ever I hate how much hyperspace limits my options now why can't I ru..."

the 10 most common archetypes in wave 4/5 extended made up 16.29% of all squads (five of them were empire)

What's the source on that?

What's the top 5 of each look?

Also is that surprising? Less options means you don't have as many awful 'archetypes'. Also a LOT more data points from wave 4/5.

15 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

HS has closer gaps and more lists per "tier". Even though I think tiers are not all that useful in the first place.

I don't disagree entirely, as I think of these things as sort of 'probability curves', but the general intent is the same, with the gaps and [lack] of overlaps being the same.

Listening to the episode, and I have some 4min because... reasons.

I fully agree so far. Just counting turns is pointless. My bat reps always count "turns of combat", which is misleading because I count all after the first shot.

You're anyway right about game resolution being the point. The number of relevant turns is just something I'm curious about. And I know that not every turn after first shot is a relevant turn.

My own point on swarms and slow playing is a different one: I am convinced that a swarm benefits more often than not from having fewer turns. Both players know this, or should. And that puts the burden (rightfully) on the swarm player. He has to constantly demonstrate that he is not playing slow. We have a local player who, conscious or not, takes a long time for nothing (focus or evade at range 6?). My 8 games with the sloane swarm had me ready first for most turns. Because I feel obligated as a swarm player.

And I think every swarm player should feel obligated.

10 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

This is the way. Everyone talks about playing against CIS, no one actually plays them.

Our league about halfway into the season.  There are no list building restrictions, and playing is more incentivized than winning, but this even includes data from 2 tournaments...

image.png

Team event in Birmingham had 19 teams, each team had to have 1 player playing each era (CIS or Republic, Rebels or Empire or Scum, Resistance or FO).  Most went CIS over republic, a healthy mix of Scum and Empire with very little Rebels, and resistance 5x A or beef seemed to be preferred over FO to a decent degree...that being said, we won it with Rebels, Republic and FO, so draw what conclusions you want.