SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 minute ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Turns out the new tech over the year means Deathrain can suicide-solo various swarms with minimal help from 5th Bro and Vess. Huh.

Have clankers forgotten that you can't joust everything?

What are the conditions and anti-conditions? 

22 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

What are the conditions and anti-conditions? 

Joust things that will earn you more points than you lose. If you lose a minimum of 80+ pt to remove only 65 pt max AND be positioned out of position against the remaining 135 points to feast on the leftovers, you might want to reconsider droid tactics. But with delayed fuses to double bomb, Deathrain's barrel roll and spawning at I4 to get the best angle , double-modded diamond borons, and then the wingmates, opting to joust Deathrain more often than not sees him score 100 when he dies.

#yet another reason why good droid players are patient and can work around a bad matchup

Sure, Deathrain shenanigans wouldn't work on many players. And a 3 ship list at I4 is a heavy burden of execution against a lot of lists/players. But it works for ******* with people still flying like N00bs and expecting to somehow make mileage out of a simple gun count.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

10 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

both are fun? Hyperspace is more interesting as competitive activity, but extended is still a very fun game. And that's ultimately what we want, right?

I want extended to be fun.

I don’t really have fun playing against 7b, soontir, phantoms, 1300s (when they’re good), etc.

🤷‍♀️

9 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Joust things that will earn you more points than you lose. If you lose a minimum of 80+ pt to remove only 65 pt max AND be positioned out of position against the remaining 135 points to feast on the leftovers, you might want to reconsider droid tactics. But with delayed fuses to double bomb, Deathrain's barrel roll and spawning at I4 to get the best angle , double-modded diamond borons, and then the wingmates, opting to joust Deathrain more often than not sees him score 100 when he dies.

#yet another reason why good droid players are patient and can work around a bad matchup

Sure, Deathrain shenanigans wouldn't work on many players. And a 3 ship list at I4 is a heavy burden of execution against a lot of lists/players. But it works for ******* with people still flying like N00bs and expecting to somehow make mileage out of a simple gun count.

Wait, do we actually think DBMS are good, broadly, or even a silver bullet against swarms?

im convinced of neither. Even if we demonstrate they’re really good against swarms (I’m not), you have to bring it against other matchups, and swarms are a really low % of the meta.

tournament strategy-wise, swarms are not worth hard-teching against.

23 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I want extended to be fun.

I don’t really have fun playing against 7b, soontir, phantoms, 1300s (when they’re good), etc.

🤷‍♀️

I meant it more as the meme format it is. Goofy memes are funny as long as they are a choice. In the same vein, extended is fun as long as you can opt in - and out again.

39 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Wait, do we actually think DBMS are good, broadly, or even a silver bullet against swarms?

im convinced of neither. Even if we demonstrate they’re really good against swarms (I’m not), you have to bring it against other matchups, and swarms are a really low % of the meta.

Yeah, DBMs seem average. For Deathrain, I think I'd just take Concs. 

51 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

It's a cheap means of getting 3 dice no range bonus. The ability is fun, but shouldn't be relied on. But, 50/50 bonus dmg might discourage tight formations.

Hmmmm. Iden can stop the initial dmg of one hitting, but is powerless from stopping the 2nd charge's ability going off. Niche, but neat.

6 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

What I’m hearing is people actually think extended is a meme and/or combo format, and then either forget to emphasize or note that worlds is extended, and the remaining year’s competitive events are extended.

😞

Just to re-iterate, worlds and primes should be hyperspace only. 

From a certain perspective making worlds a meme format has a minor benefit in that it does make it substantially less about X-Wing vs just being a casual FFG Con tournament. 

24 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Just to re-iterate, worlds and primes should be hyperspace only. 

From a certain perspective making worlds a meme format has a minor benefit in that it does make it substantially less about X-Wing vs just being a casual FFG Con tournament. 

I guess worlds isn't meant to be competitive would make sense, but the community sure takes it seriously

<Looks at what has been happening distribution side> <Looks at what has been happening in the region that X-Wing's components are produced> : Yah, I think the decision by Organized Play to have Extended still remain as a competitive format at the level it is makes sense...

34 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

What I’m hearing is people actually think extended is a meme and/or combo format, and then either forget to emphasize or note that worlds is extended, and the remaining year’s competitive events are extended.

😞

I'm still not used to the meta being fun, and it's already on the threshold of being taken away from me

22 minutes ago, svelok said:

I'm still not used to the meta being fun, and it's already on the threshold of being taken away from me

Really though, I still haven't adjusted to the super fast changes of 2.0 Biannual point changes are perfect. The additional waves inbetween, with the delays, just means a constant stream of new things.

That has good and bad sides. On the bad side, we can't keep enjoying those periods of near-perfect metas (whether that is merely local, or because your favorite list is dominating, or just because it's incredibly well balanced). On the good side, the bad ones also don't last long.