SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

I get that other people don't want to play in a format where Supernatural Reflexes and Ensnare exist. That's... fine, I guess. I'll just wait. Maybe forever 😕

Have you figured out why, perhaps, people start getting a bit excited at, at least the idea, of hyperspace then?

Don't forget things like:

• Whisper
  • Soontir Fel
  • 7b

Hyperspace ain't perfect, but... yeah, a lot of us aren't exactly excited to return to that meta. We can handle it, but man, im not excited.

9 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Have you figured out why, perhaps, people start getting a bit excited at, at least the idea, of hyperspace then?

People? I, myself am very excited about hyperspace. I was one of the first voices saying "this is awesome" when most people were complaining about the new adjustment.

I just didn't expect to see Extended become a ghost town.

9 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Don't forget things like:

• Whisper
  • Soontir Fel
  • 7b

I don't forget those. I don't like them either. But I've been waiting for a very long time for the following to become viable:

• Generic TIE Interceptor

• TIE Bomber with bombs (instead of barrage)

• VCX-100

• Generic YT-1300 and Modified YT-1300

• MG-100 Starfortress

• Generic TIE Reaper

• TIE Defender

• Z-95 Headhunter

• Lancer

• E-Wing

• Ciena Ree

• Captain Cardinal and Major Stridan

• TIE Aggressor

And now that they finally got their much-needed buffs, I don't even get the chance to find out if the buffs were enough, or too much, or really anything about them because basically no one plays extended. There's exactly one Extended tournament in Listfortress that has 30+ people since the points update, and it's "a side event so it doesn't count."

Do you begin to understand my frustration? I don't like Ensnare any more than you do. But I also don't expect to see much of it in extended at all, given the price hike and changes to tractor. Same goes for SNR, 7B/R2 Jedi, etc. They did get nerfed, just not the way a lot of people wanted them to. That doesn't mean you'll see a lot of them.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

I, for one, am SUPER INTERESTED in the opinions of everyone on whether or not they like [insert format]. I rank it right up there with folks who create forum threads to say they are leaving the game and people who threaten to get me fired because I didn't want to capitulate to their whackadoodle demands. 

My condolences to everyone forced to play not their preferred format because the NPCs at the store are playing something else. 

After failing with 2 ace + squad builds for the past month I think I'm just gonna go back to running some combination of SF's with gunners and FO's.

Omegas (198)
Omega Squadron Expert — TIE/SF Fighter	34
Fanatical	2
Special Forces Gunner	10
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 3

Fanatical	2
Special Forces Gunner	10

Fanatical	2
Special Forces Gunner	10

Omega Squadron Ace — TIE/FO Fighter	28
Fanatical	2
Ship Total: 30
Half Points: 15 Threshold: 2

Omega Squadron Ace — TIE/FO Fighter	28
Fanatical	2
Ship Total: 30
Half Points: 15 Threshold: 2

Or:

Kylo + Omegas (195)
Kylo Ren — TIE/vn Silencer	76
Ship Total: 76
Half Points: 38 Threshold: 3

Fanatical	2
Special Forces Gunner	10

Fanatical	2
Special Forces Gunner	10

Lieutenant Rivas — TIE/FO Fighter	27
Ship Total: 27
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I just didn't expect to see Extended become a ghost town.

Just wait until the first round of store champs have passed and one of two things will happen:

1) with people preparing for a mix of SOS and Prime Champs you end up with a better mix of people playing either hyperspace or extended

Or

2) everyone starts playing extended to prepare for all the big local tournaments and we all start screaming about the failed experiment that was a curated hyperspace format. (Let's be real, it's totally going to be this one)

HSDNu5s.png

Oooo look at all the scary double-mod force-using high-initiative aces that are rolling everything up in extended!

(And yes this is filtered for extended only)

yIuzpY3.png

Oh there they are. Yeah so glad those ones aren't in Hyperspace! Never mind that their actual win percentage is much much lower in extended. Look how popular they are!

Almost all of the extended data we have at the moment is the UK Extended Qualifier.  I don't think you can use it to try to look at things like percentiles and... whatever else it is metawing does, because the format encourages dropping early which completely screws up any kind of analysis around final standings.  This is effectively just <list of ships that showed up a lot>, which makes sense - known extended powerhouses, but people mostly just played their hyperspace squad for simplicity from the looks of it.

One is a symptom of the other. I'm not mad at you. I'm actually not mad in general. It's just that the concept of 

Is entirely false but entirely believed as true. The distribution is 50/50. I would love to see bigger sample sizes. But no one will play it. Because everyone believes it will be a rehash of last season. Which isn't borne out by the (admittedly very meager) existing evidence.

But I realize that I'm being annoying at this point, so I'll stop. It's okay. I get that other people don't want to play in a format where Supernatural Reflexes and Ensnare exist. That's... fine, I guess. I'll just wait. Maybe forever 😕

The distribution for tournaments is very much NOT 50/50 right now.  Seriously, go look at listfortress events since points (or if you're using metawings defaults, the past month).  Outside of anyone's opinions on whether they like extended or not, there is effectively no data for how good anything is in the format as it's basically on hold until whatever regionals are called start back up.

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

You guys are weird. I just had 3 extended tournaments over the last 1,5 months, and now we have 3 hyperspace storechamps. Then again a prime, which is extended. There's no reason not to alternate between fair, competitively interesting format and memes&misery.

Is trajectory simulating bombs from Bob (Finch Dallow) memes or misery? Asking for a friend...

1 hour ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

I want to try Proud Trad on Omegas for this, but am still haunted by my old strategy of primed Kylo trying to surprise enemies only to hurt himself 3/4 of the time.

not scrolling up if there's more context, but proud tradition fos are wonderful

24 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Holo, Ember and 3 Omegas all with proud tradition. It’s been a lot of fun and actually won some games (and yes, I am aware that Ember is pretty crap and expensive). 

1 hour ago, catachanninja said:

Gotten back to playing Kylo Scorch PT Longshot PT Omega Rivas and PT Holo PT France Scorch PT Longshot Rivas. 
Both lists are incredibly entertaining and semi "rebel" like. Also 200 pts of "I dont believe you" which is always fun. 

Edited by Boom Owl

5 hours ago, Stagsquad13 said:

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Holo, Ember and 3 Omegas all with proud tradition. It’s been a lot of fun and actually won some games (and yes, I am aware that Ember is pretty crap and expensive). 

Ember is actually really good. The problem is that the I6, let alone the I5, are even better and trivially pricier.

It's like this. Your perception dictates your reality. Your perception grows from your perspective. Things as they are for you, are as they are for you, and no one else.

For me, HS is OK. It's a bit simple and repetitive, kinda boring at the build stage. But nearly all good fun, fair games, which is kinda the point of it.

Extended is bonkers. I have an extreme off-meta list that eats aces before breakfast. Which is hilarious. Come at me bro. So whatevs, meta nerds. Build stage to infinity, which is glorious. Mostly all good fun games, but a smidge more that aren't so much.

From my perspective, I have no idea why people moan about stuff.

HS is good for contests. Extended is good for a laugh. I prefer laughing. Dwywm.

18 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Gotten back to playing Kylo Scorch PT Longshot PT Omega Rivas and PT Holo PT France Scorch PT Longshot Rivas. 
Both lists are incredibly entertaining and semi "rebel" like. Also 200 pts of "I dont believe you" which is always fun. 

You are my new hero. Congrats are quite in order.

3 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

It's like this. Your perception dictates your reality. Your perception grows from your perspective. Things as they are for you, are as they are for you, and no one else.

Wisdom.

Thanks.

...on to the next one to be sure.