SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

8 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

5X at R1 is sad Boba, no? Doesn't seem like he'd enjoy 20 red dice, even with 2 rerolls. That calculate doesn't last long...

Boba is gonna R1 those 5X on an angle, if you try to catch him there. He'll take 0-2 shots from them the vast majority of the time.

The difficulty for anything lower Init and largely predictable, is that fast or slow works fine for a big rear arc boost, especially when you've left yourself room to send a 3 bank either way. When you also have bombs, can turn slow and flee instead, predicting where he's going to be a turn in advance is not easy.

Using his wingmen as reference points for how and when to engage Boba is much more important than what you have in your list. 

Prioritising him and attempting to take him 1st, without some measure of disguise/interference is nigh on impossible.

The Fangs in his face thing is just a joke. But unsensible Boba players have been known to accept it :D

24 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I just played around a bit. You could fit XXXXA with intimidate on the phoenix and an xwing. No missiles anymore, but I don't see them as valuable as an extra xwing myself.

4 point bid is high and I don't much like Ion missiles. I enjoy having two blockers and the flexibility it provides (especially against aces and S1 shenanigans). Depending on the matchup, their goal is to rush out and lock/block. If it keeps the heat off my X-Wings, great! If they don't die, congratulations you are now dubbed an Avenger a faster X-Wing.

Obviously against many matchups this doesn't work and they'll flank and try to take the lock at R3. It's amazing how much people enjoy shooting at tokenless A-Wings, even though their expected damage is very similar to a focused X-Wing and the I3 X-Wings are way better late-game. The A-Wings are mainly there to be annoying, and their blocking potential is not to be underestimated.

Like most rebel lists it thrives on presenting the healthiest ships as the best targets. Forcing your opponent to choose between a long shot on an A-Wing on 1 health or a R1 shot on a full-health X-Wing is what the list is all about. It's amazing how often they make the wrong choice.

Edit: After playing them awhile, I still feel like most missiles are about a point overpriced, but it may be better than the alternative, and at least they're way better off than cannons. Still, it puts the A-Wings on more even footing with the Xs so I can make a good endgame out of almost any ship assortment.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

5 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

About Boba? That he is a 1.0 type ship with consequence-free pre-maneuver dial change (!) and complementary (focus+reroll) offensive&defensive passive mods (!) with a pseudo turret. On top of that he has not quite large base boost, but still larger-than-small-base. Any single one of these is strong. The facts that fearless gives him a third source of passive mods, that hull upgrade allows him to adjust the points threshold, or that bombs make him very hard to chase are just icing. Very delicious, but still just icing.

Luckily he is expensive and gives up decent half points. Defense is generally not on 1.0 level.

By the way, what about stealth device Boba?

A good local player was making very good use of SD Boba with Party Bus Bossk by making them in to rediculous ace killers. 

New HS cards and points have made it less good but still, his Boba could be untouchable in some games. 

Bossk was the hammer who pushed through the damage while Boba was accurate even at R3. 

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Has this not been working against Fett?

latest?cb=20180915001849

I really don't know what the track record is but this feels like as much of a hard counter as we could expect. It's only 3 points and you can slap it on a cheap ship so easily. Is it really that easy to Slave I YOLO out of it? I hear more complaints that blocking doesn't work than that he can't be blocked at all.

Even with infinite mods, one defense die vs 3 or more 3-dice attacks (or 5+ 2-dice attacks) feels like it would make him hurt. Very curious what people who have attempted it have to say on its effectiveness. After all, so many have been lamenting the loss of Crack Shot, but against double-mods, removing a green die gives almost similar results, but potentially far more than just 3 times.

Intimidation Omega Squads are legit. It's just that Fanatical or Rivas did the same general job but even cheaper and could make more of it's own shots matter, and now Proud Trad is the definitive generic TIE/fo talent. So anecdotally, there are better options for some factions. And unless you're doing an Avenger Swarm, dedicating a Silencer's guns to Intimidation does tend reduce overall dps. An intimidation Provacateur seems neat tho. 

I've also had some good fun with it on V-19 Blue squads (especially with that link!) but they're not HS. Maybe when the V19 single pack comes out. An intimidation 7th squad could be cool, with that medium base and a br. Also, unlike tractor or strain, Intimidation as written does stack. Meaningless for the most part, but intriguing.

Empire has Vagabond. Proxy mines are gone in HS, sadly, but he's still great with seismics and protons. Slapping intimidation to an I2 striker sounds so spicy and gives him another terrifying role after the payload is spent. Heck, might make clusters a great option for him.

Rebels have Arvel. Best intimidator in the game. Scum have jumpmasters. Resistance has BB8.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

5X at R1 is sad Boba, no? Doesn't seem like he'd enjoy 20 red dice, even with 2 rerolls. That calculate doesn't last long...

If your Boba flying opponent is putting his Slave I I5 Boba at R1 of 5 I2 xwings I don't think you have to worry about whether you're going to win or not....

Edited by tampermagnitude

47 minutes ago, tampermagnitude said:

If your Boba flying opponent is putting his Slave I I5 Boba at R1 of 5 I2 xwings I don't think you have to worry about whether you're going to win or not....

Mistakes happen.

The amazing thing is that when a mistake like this happens, against Boba Fenn you still might not win.  I know from experience, on the mistake-makin' Boba side.

38 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Wait, is this thread just day dreaming of how to beat boba and forgetting other lists exists?

Quick Updated Hyper List Ramble ( i.e. Lists I Find Interesting ) : 

• Empire
    • Vader RAC Duchess
    • Vader Duchess Countdown Sabacc 
    • Vader 4x Sentinels ( 2x Seismic ) 
    • Vader Duchess Vermeil Hask 
  • Rebels
    • Luke + K2S0 Falcon + Ten/Thane/Jake 
    • Luke + Braylen Jake + Ten/Thane/Gina 
    • XXXXX
  • Resistance
    • Poe Zizi Tali/Yeager Rose Colossus 
    • Poe Nien Zizi Yeager 
  • Scum
    • Fang Fang Fang Fang Gang 
    • Syck Squad Squad Squad Fang Gang 
  • Separatists
    • Disco Struts with Big Guns and Probes 
    • Maul + 7 Vultures 
  • Republic
    • Obi Plo Ric Ani
    • Obi Plo Lumi Tano
  • First Order
    • Kylo Torp+ I dont know yet
    • Kylo SF SF SF Rivas 
    • Kylo Scorch Longshot Omega Rivas 
    • Holo France Scorch Longshot Rivas 
    • Holo SF SF SF EP EP 

star-wars-episode-vii-le-reveil-de-la-fo

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Help me a bit, Squad?

I’ve been trying to interpret a while, Gang might mean cheapest generic in faction, and squad is a nebulous 28-40 non-unique? It might have something to do with repeating the previous ship too.

You can fit four Recruits and a mining guild tie, and I’ve been hearing about ion Scyk x2, tractor Scyk x2, recruit x2 which fit the two respectively?

Edited by AEIllingworth

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

Help me a bit, Squad?

21 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

I’ve been trying to interpret a while, Gang might mean cheapest generic in faction, and squad is a nebulous 28-40 non-unique? It might have something to do with repeating the previous ship too.

You can fit four Recruits and a mining guild tie, and I’ve been hearing about ion Scyk x2, tractor Scyk x2, recruit x2 which fit the two respectively?

Does this clarify things?
VsEuvxj.jpg

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Help me a bit, Squad?

Most likely 4x Fearless Skull. Maybe substitute Fearless Fenn + 3x Zealous Recruits. The former might be better.

I believe the second is 2x Zealous Recruits and 4 Scyks (2x Tractor and 2x Ion IIRC?)

22 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I just played around a bit. You could fit XXXXA with intimidate on the phoenix and an xwing. No missiles anymore, but I don't see them as valuable as an extra xwing myself.

I3 Red swarm, right? 

In extended, this is my version: 

_______

"5X, mk2"

(32) Gold Squadron Veteran [BTL-A4 Y-wing]
(5) Ion Cannon Turret

(34) Arvel Crynyd [RZ-1 A-wing]
(3) Intimidation

(41) Red Squadron Veteran [T-65 X-wing]
(1) Crack Shot

(1) Crack Shot

(1) Crack Shot

Total points: 200

14 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Most likely 4x Fearless Skull. Maybe substitute Fearless Fenn + 3x Zealous Recruits. The former might be better.

Definitely take the 4 Skulls in hyperspace. *

It's like 4 aces with unlimited Crack in hyperspace. So powerful. You just have to be very skilled on the Boba matchup and FO Aces matchups. 

_________

Extended, I'd definitely start with vanilla Fenn and go from there. The Sear Swarm are a big puzzle for Scum in extended. I'm not really sold that Boba is the complete answer... If only because I'm not sold on a wingman config for him in extended yet. 

*Edit*

In my local meta, Skullz are the answer. 

But at a large hyperspace event, you've got Rebel B-wings at I4, lots of Luke/Kylo/Boba, for which I think there's a strong argument for Oli's FennTripleZealots

Bottom line: play your meta or play whatever Oli is playing. Lol. 

Edited by Bucknife

So, we won the team event in Birmingham. Good practice for Krayt. Everyone went 4-1, so no major issues with lists that just couldn't be paired and everyone was pretty comfortable flying. There were some Princess Bride moments with the pairing process where the right decision, by virtue of being "right", was actually wrong...but what if the other team caught on to what you're doing? "just fly better" *forehead* did seem to be the answer to pairings.

We did make the mistake of 2 early 3-0 wins putting us on the top table for 4 of the 5 rounds and those table were exactly high enough that you couldn't play sitting, bit short enough that you'd kill your back leaning over :/.

I will say that, it appears literally nobody understands how I fly the X-Wing as I got questions all day about it. I also got questions about my setup, but that was designed to be confusing and give away very little about how I wanted to fly/engage.

Overall, very fun day and nothing by great opponents.

14 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Does it make any sense to put Han Gunner and Concussion Missiles on someone like Lando or Leia?

Bah, I guess it's extended-only, though... And at 20 points...

Primes are in extended. Let us prepare for them!

But atm, let us relish in HS! I'm honestly stoked by how much the new HS has stirred up a lot of people to attend events.

A few brief thoughts after a lot of fun games

-

I was running the 3 named B-Wings and a generic X-Wing and, while people were somewhat taken aback by the hitting power of the B-Wings, I get the most questions about the X-Wing. I like to take weird angles or positions with it a lot to force awkward positioning or problems and part of this is off-angle blocking.
-
Most blocking is nose-punch blocking i.e. you run at the enemy to try and occupy their position to deny actions. There are 2 problems with this 1: while your initial block position is good, your follow up position is usually weak (sometimes a K-turn if you have space) 2: If they call the block and go past you, you get no value from it as you have no shots this or next turn. An off-angle block is when you come from a side angle and wrap in with banks or hard turns and usually ends up with you having your blocker facing roughly the direction of travel with a dice modification. Off-angle blocks prevent your next turn from being awkward because you can just keep occupying that space the other squad needs and if the other squad overshoots you, you get the consolation prize of range 1 modified shots in the back. The obvious drawback is that an off-angle block requires more setup, planning and spatial awareness to execute. It's like the reason why players favor moving in tight boxes because it's easier to meet a target with all your firepower than moving with variable speed and positions..
-
At the end of the day, I value the X-Wing over other options because I do just treat it like a medium tank in World of Tanks, i.e. it can flex into different roles very quickly and if I don't feel the pressing need for a block, just having it chill at an awkward angle throwing 3 modded dice is acceptable value for a 40pt ship.
-
This list doesn't work without Gina Moonsong. Her pilot ability doesn't seem like it should be that good, but she opens up so many options and is frustratingly hard to finish off with her ability to infinitely K-turn/T-roll. Ten and Braylen are good for reasons that are pretty obvious, but I do feel like the difference maker for how well you do with this list is going to be Gina and the X-Wing's positioning.
-
It's also weird when someone asks how many times I double tap. The double tap for both B-Wings is only 10pts, less than putting a single proton torpedo and only 5% of your list. If it kills 1 enemy a turn faster, it's paid for itself on both ships, if it kills 2-3 a turn early, you're up by infinite.  It also lets either B-Wing solo most flankers in a single volley (a generic fireball/Tie Striker/etc, frequently dies from full health to a single bullseye double tap) then turn back in and barrel roll for more shots in the main fight.  For 10pts, the value of 2x S-Foils and 2x Autoblasters is bonkers on those 2 pilots.