SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

11 hours ago, Brunas said:

I uhh...

Yeah, if you only play against Boba, he's great.  Unfortunately,

giphy.gif

Agreed.  Now if only Resistance has some tech that was effective against swarming drones...

Alternatively, look at svelok's data and then also look at OutRyder lists.  3 drone swarms out of 96 lists...

Edited by Ablazoned

8 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

The format reduces options a little, but the max number of drone swarms that *could* have been taken was 24.

12.5% of the potential amount of Droid Swarms...in a team format...where it's usually setup to take separate factions...

Image result for time to abandon ship gif

Edited by RStan

9 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Want to talk about what a good CIS player will do that a bad one won't? 

Certainly. A good CIS player, regardless loadout knows to simply shoot a blocker forward while slowly marching the gang on the turn of engagement. Or even better, have a slight stagger. That way, the ace has to patiently engage. Elsewise if they try to get cheeky and dodge at the last second if needed, they engage anyway. Sure, you're losing guns BUT BLOCKING IS COOL BECAUSE YOU SACRIFICE 1 OR 2 GUNS TO FIRE WITH THE REST, AS OPPOSED TO ALL GUNS OUT OF ARC.

A good CIS player holds onto buzzbois until they for sure will latch onto something that really hates them. Often, this means holding them in the back so they're less appealing targets and can pop the buzzbois in the scrum. Going further on tech, a good CIS player reaaaaaaaally pulls value from Dank Droids. They don't poop them where they could be shot, rather having them swoop in only when all the droids can lock. If needed, the droids will camp on the other end of the field.

Obviously, a good CIS player does not engage near a gas cloud. That's begging to have attacks count for nothing while the enemy alphas on the only clear shot. As I say: play a lot of Blackout to get intimate with angles of engagement. This game is like a turn-based asymmetrical version of Counterstrike. Also, hope that Blackout doesn't show up. Especially when you field struts.

Speaking of struts, place 1 rock in the dead center of the field. Area denial is a big thing for a swarm (like even having but not using mines or buzzbois work neatly), and center rock is massively important. Corner rocks are cool too to camp on while the rest of the swarm hinges around. You could split into 2 droid groups against 3 or 2 ship lists to max area denial, but against 4 ship lists, you without boost and wonky banks run the serious risk of having the enemy entirely engage one group while the other is too late to help. Also, buff bonuses keep your groups as one, typically.

Don't yeet to engage, for you only need to ominously march. You have the final salvo going for you, so the onus is on them to engage. Plus, if you just yeet down a corner and sharply turn in, your angles will be ******. Good CIS players introduce banks before engagement if needed. They aren't terrified of red banks either: you share calculates after all.

Don't get too attached to each ship. Sacrifices must be made. But don't let them die without purpose.

4 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

You have the final salvo going for you, so the onus is on them to engage.

🤨 The irony of this observation after the **** storm that was thrown here not that long ago when someone using a different list did this exact thing is thicker than frozen snot...

Hol' up, there's a clear difference between the two non-exclusive positions of "final salvo is your best choice" and "the rules should not allow you to (mobile) fortress until final salve"

I'm not saying I condone or do it - I didn't win last tournament because I didn't run for final salvo - but I acknowledge the difference.

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Obviously, Seps and Scum are OP, Rebels and Resistance underpowered. Nothing else to see here, carry on.

Maybe, perhaps... but if you want something to see, there is nothing better looking on the mat than a list of (1.0 model of course) Triple Silencers.

...a pint is at the asking.

24 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Maybe, perhaps... but if you want something to see, there is nothing better looking on the mat than a list of (1.0 model of course) Triple Silencers.

...a pint is at the asking.

Friend of mine runs 2 big ones and one little one. He puts Kylo in one of the big ones. Details like this catch me out time after time after time.

I've definitely pursued a full health FOTP thinking it was halved Kylo being special in the tiny one for a bit.

The pint definitely helps it not really matter :D

10 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Friend of mine runs 2 big ones and one little one. He puts Kylo in one of the big ones. Details like this catch me out time after time after time.

I've definitely pursued a full health FOTP thinking it was halved Kylo being special in the tiny one for a bit.

The pint definitely helps it not really matter :D

We were talking about the Swolencer on Saturday at FLGS, and one of the guys had a great suggestion: FFG should invent a Medium ship that uses the Swolencer model.

6 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

teams of how many people

#TEAMS OF THREE

6 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Also, is vader whisper + ace the best extended list alongside some sep swarm? 

I think so, yes. GInq seems to be the more defensive choice (which is usually the better, more consistent one), while Soontir at 200 total makes it more fun for me.
Though there are a lot of good squads around, even in extended.

4 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

When is krayt cups, teams of how many people and how does pairings work (aka infopack where)? 

Also, is vader whisper + ace the best extended list alongside some sep swarm? 

Teams of twa, check youtube for how things work.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

3 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Thanks

As someone involved in our national team tournament, may I ask why you chose to do team of 4 and tie the pairings to list bids?

Teams of 4 is purely a legacy decision from an old scoring system and at this point I don't want to force people to break up their previous teams.  With the scoring method there's no real benefit to larger/smaller teams (though an odd number would be preferable for the cut).

Pairings tied to bids is because list bids and pairing order have an extreme effect on the outcome of a set.  If the list bids weren't combined and used to determine pairing order, a pretty dominant strategy would be to bring two huge mega bid ace mirror winning lists, and two lists you were confident against swarms/beef with.  If the pairing order were random, about half the time you'd get at least two games (the ace mirrors) where one team just had a bye and the games aren't very fun.  The other benefit of this is because everyone knows that everyone else can't really afford to be bidding unless they go deep into it and run four ace lists with huge bids, bids are broadly small.  The average COMBINED bid last year at krayt cup was... 3, I think?

That means we get to effectively have random player order without the riots involved in changing the rules.

2 hours ago, Brunas said:

Teams of 4 is purely a legacy decision from an old scoring system and at this point I don't want to force people to break up their previous teams.  With the scoring method there's no real benefit to larger/smaller teams (though an odd number would be preferable for the cut).

I'm looking forward for 7 players team, we are stuck at 5 this side of the pond thought

Pairings tied to bids is because list bids and pairing order have an extreme effect on the outcome of a set.  If the list bids weren't combined and used to determine pairing order, a pretty dominant strategy would be to bring two huge mega bid ace mirror winning lists, and two lists you were confident against swarms/beef with.  If the pairing order were random, about half the time you'd get at least two games (the ace mirrors) where one team just had a bye and the games aren't very fun. 

What's stopping a team to do that anyway? You can bring 2 crazy bid lists and 2 antiswarm list anyway. If they make you go second you have at least 2 guaranteed matchup without any effort, if you go first you might have to sacrifice one player, but the outcome would be similar. 

Have I misunderstood something? 

The other benefit of this is because everyone knows that everyone else can't really afford to be bidding unless they go deep into it and run four ace lists with huge bids, bids are broadly small.  The average COMBINED bid last year at krayt cup was... 3, I think?

That means we get to effectively have random player order without the riots involved in changing the rules.

It might be that since Ive been playing with etc pairings for 3 years I might be blinded,but wouldn't be easier to just use simultaneous pairings and limited choices? Your system basically guarantees every team gets one to two matchups they want without much efforts on their parts.

Unless of course that's exactly what you are aiming for