SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 minute ago, Ablazoned said:

Passive Sensors (1 charge).

Action: Spend 1 [charge] from this card.

When an enemy ship activates, you may recover 1 [charge] and spend 1 focus or calculate token to acquire a lock on that ship.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and now ini pricing is all that remains.

That would btw give infinite lock range. I get what you wanted, i think.

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

That would btw give infinite lock range. I get what you wanted, i think.

Give it the Precog treatment and call it "passive scanners."

It doesn't say "ignoring range restrictions".

Edited by Ablazoned

Despite the "oh, extended, yuk" of LVO, I want to point something out...

The way Paul played that swarm?  Not just how well he did with it (he's been doing great with CIS for a while), but the speed with which he played it, particularly in the top 4 game, should be commended.  He played crisply throughout, but also purposefully sped up his pace to give his opponent a chance.  Maybe a little faster than necessary?...but still, that's some mf'in sportsmanship.  Also, I generally have loathed CIS since their release, but watching Paul play has actually made me consider it (but probably not).

@Tlfj200 - Having you on that final was really entertaining.  Paul/Zach Krayt tape? 

Edited by gennataos

3 minutes ago, gennataos said:

The way Paul played that swarm?  Not just how well he did with it (he's been doing great with CIS for a while), but the speed with which he played it, particularly in the top 4 game, should be commended.  He played crisply throughout, but also purposefully sped up his pace to give his opponent a chance.  Maybe a little faster than necessary?...but still, that's some mf'in sportsmanship.  Also, I generally have loathed CIS since their release, but watching Paul play has actually made me consider it (but probably not).

From my experience Doug Howe also plays a crisp speedy CIS swarm. I think my game against him at crossroads had 12 or 13 rounds (first shot on round 4) and ended around 10m left before time would have been called. Was pleasant playing vs a quick swarm player.

Just now, Smikies02 said:

From my experience Doug Howe also plays a crisp speedy CIS swarm. I think my game against him at crossroads had 12 or 13 rounds (first shot on round 4) and ended around 10m left before time would have been called. Was pleasant playing vs a quick swarm player.

Yeah, Doug/Smittle is/are basically transplant locals to us...both great guys to play and great guys in general.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Are yall really encountering that many “slow” swarm players? I think I have had maybe 2 games total where I thought an opponent was playing their list slowly. Each time they had only 2 ships.

I imagine part of that is that swarms scare new people so they avoid them, but yes, the slowest players I've run in to have always been running 2-3 ships and agonize over every dial and action choice. It's so frustrating to watch them keep stopping and starting decision trees...

26 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I keep hoping FFG will bite the bullet and create very limited ban list, where certain upgrades are banned on certain ships or with other upgrades.

My current list has two candidates:

1. C-3PO on Leebo, so Leebo can get his Crew slot back.
  2. R2-D2 and Inertial Dampeners on the same ship, so Han can get his Illicit slot back.

Vader Passive Sensors could be #3.  I guess Hyperspace serves as a "soft" banlist, but a tool to pick out a very few really abusive upgrade combos while allowing them to function normally for everyone else seems like something that'd be nice for the folks at FFG to have.

//

@Ablazoned Does that even function for the basic purpose, though?  A low init ship spends the charge turn 1.  Takes a focus when ready to engage on subsequent turns.  The enemy activates, but they're still far out of range, and they move in.  Low-init ship still stuck without a lock.

Maybe the timing was just written wrong, and should be "after an enemy ship activates" rather than "when."  But that still leaves open the chance for Vader to roll after someone with a higher bid is done moving and repositioning.

If you mean engage and not activate, maybe it works, but it still seems like it opens up other potential abuses.  Not as easy, but Vader could shoot target 1, wait until target 2 activates, then roll out of the way.

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Are yall really encountering that many “slow” swarm players? I think I have had maybe 2 games total where I thought an opponent was playing their list slowly. Each time they had only 2 ships.

I think I've only ever played one game where I felt the opponent was purposefully slow playing.  I didn't bring up what I did to say anything other than I liked how Paul played his list and the game in general.

10 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I wouldn't say I've ran into many "slow" swarm players, but there's a difference between being normal and being fast. Granted, that issue isn't swarm only as a lot of people take a long time to think about their dials, but it's extra nice when a swarm player plays fast. Probably a repercussion of having dials matter.

It doesn't help that, save for a round or 2, I set dials <20s of the planning phase then get disengaged while I wait.

Edited by Smikies02

6 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Locally it could be the case of few bad apples. But if you are a slow player already, then you will do disproportionally well with swarms. It makes sense to stick to them, then. And it also makes sense for the rest to harp on swarms instead of individual players. Germany had apparently that problem.

Plus, it is a bit problematic on its own when a list rewards playing slowly.

55 minutes ago, impspy said:

I mean, isn't that the big lesson from LVO? If they make HS the new tournament format maybe FFG could get the meta shakeups for competitive events that they claim to want so badly without breaking the game.

I'm willing to bet that once HS tournaments start to be played, it will be a far worse mess than extended.

Extended might be stale, but at least has some degrees of balance

3 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I'm willing to bet that once HS tournaments start to be played, it will be a far worse mess than extended.

Extended might be stale, but at least has some degrees of balance

Why do you think that?

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

heh, I'd take that bet. What do you mean by mess, when is the date we check, and what are we betting?

Are you going to be at UK SoS? It will be very early on the meta, but we can bet a beer there

1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Why do you think that?

Because I beleive Scum and Separatists are way ahead of any other faction.

Specifically, Boba Fenn, Fenn fangs and sith+vultures.

It's also a format which increase variance dependency even further than what already the new edition has done

9 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Huh.  I disagree, but neither of us has meaningful tournament performance stats to back it up.  Time will tell!

Yeah obviously I don't have any meaningful proof to back it up, but it's just a simple "what was already good in HS and went unchanged while everything else got nuked?" 

The only real variables are the 2 new ships since manaroo lite seems scary on paper and 26 points generics with 5 hp and evade access were already proven to be very good fillers

17 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Because I beleive Scum and Separatists are way ahead of any other faction.

Specifically, Boba Fenn, Fenn fangs and sith+vultures.

It's also a format which increase variance dependency even further than what already the new edition has done

This is the fear, right? I think that LVO was a success for the Extended format, with multiple list genres and 6 of 7 factions in the top 8. There were also some pretty cool things making the cut like Moralo and 5 reapers. 

And in my limited experience in Hyperspace, it looks to be a really interesting format full of opportunity, but there are a couple bogeymen out there that might cause issues. I'd also, after the strength of success First Order had that Kylo might be an absolute monster in Hyperspace. 

2 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Yeah obviously I don't have any meaningful proof to back it up, but it's just a simple "what was already good in HS and went unchanged while everything else got nuked?" 

The only real variables are the 2 new ships since manaroo lite seems scary on paper and 26 points generics with 5 hp and evade access were already proven to be very good fillers

I don't disagree those things will still be good, but I think that's ignoring FO improvements, 5A also got better (rip fangs) and the salads that will come out of Rebels, Empire and Resistance.  

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Everyone comments that I set dials too fast with droids. I will say that weaker players are rarely confident enough to put swarms on the table.

Also, it does kind of annoy me when my opponent takes forever, but more so when they take forever on something that doesn't matter. Someone will blaze through a dial setting that will land them in a corner in 2 turns and then, when they get there, stare at their dial for 5 minutes as if doing so will make a hidden maneuver appear....then complain about dice when you kill them. The right time to think about this was 15 minutes and 2 turns ago, just Wheel of Fortune your dial so we can get on with this game.