SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

10 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I think there's probably situations where it's handy, but I don't think it's secretly amazing and folks have just been blind to it.

I can see a case for it when:

1) You're flying Fett

2) You landed at R1 of 3+ 2-primary ships (otherwise you totally shouldn't be there)

3) You already have focus modification elsewhere (0-0-0, Maul, etc)

4) You couldn't Slave 1 your way out of the situation

5) Being stressed won't affect your choices next turn

This is a pretty rare scenario.

4 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

1) You're flying Fett

2) You landed at R1 of 3+ 2-primary ships (otherwise you totally shouldn't be there)

Don't forget:

4a) You also couldn't boost your way out of the situation.

1 minute ago, DR4CO said:

Don't forget:

4a) You also couldn't boost your way out of the situation.

Fair, but if you're Fett you'll either be:

a) If they're behind you, boosting out to R2 and turning off his rerolls

b) If they're in front of you, probably blocked by the 3+ ships

c) If they're beside you, you couldn't get advantage from Reinforce anyway

52 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Ten Numb with Config is clearly good at 50

A cannon only adds 3-5 points to his cost and makes him go from 1 double modded shot each turn into 2 shots with 1 mod between them. Probably worth it?

Is adding 2 more points for FCS (1 extra reroll on your first shot) a good idea? What is a reroll worth?

After playing it, I'd want Predator first (but every useful generic EPT is out of HS for some reason?)

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I think there's probably situations where it's handy, but I don't think it's secretly amazing and folks have just been blind to it

Ya, definitely not that. I was thinking about it after a league night game when I used it and my opponent didn't realize they even had reinforce.

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I can see a case for it when:

1) You're flying Fett

This is a pretty rare scenario.

That's way too fussy and precious, and not at all mathematically sound.

Reinforce saves a bunch of damage (easily 2-ish) on non-Boba Firesprays.  Sometimes, you're just going to be in a bad spot, and even if you can't pull a blue next turn, it'll be worthwhile to do the Reinforce.

I think it's a good strategy to roll up and Reinforce with like a Lambda or Decimator or some other ships.  Firespray isn't really like that.  Shoving a Reinforced Bounty Hunter down someone's gullet as a tactic... isn't wise.  But sometimes your opponent just gets your number.  Reinforce can be a potent tool, and it's worth having an honest idea of it's effect, rather than this excessive panic you're peddling.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

After playing it, I'd want Predator first (but every useful generic EPT is out of HS for some reason?)

I'm kinda glad Crack Shot is out of HS.  It was just too numerous and dull.  Predator?  I don't mind, might as well.  But I wish at least something cheap stayed around.  Ideally, Marksmanship, but even the nerfed Composure.  If we're ignoring faction-specific talents, There's nothing for everyone less than 3 (Intimidation), and for most pilots there's probably nothing useful lower than Outmaneuver at 6, and that's a massive investment.

5 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

If we're ignoring faction-specific talents, There's nothing for everyone less than 3 (Intimidation), and for most pilots there's probably nothing useful lower than Outmaneuver at 6, and that's a massive investment.

Daredevil is 2 now, which is not nothing.

It's not all that versatile, but it's definitely not nothing...

Also Expert Handling is 2 but that's even more fringe. Both are heavily action-bar dependent.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

11 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Daredevil is 2 now, which is not nothing.

It's not all that versatile, but it's definitely not nothing...

Also Expert Handling is 2 but that's even more fringe. Both are heavily action-bar dependent.

They're both so niche, though.

There isn't a plain "eh, I don't want this much bid, might as well fill the slot" talent.  Like, there's probably no talent I'd put on a Red Vet T-65.  Marksmanship probably wouldn't be worth it most of the time, but at least it'd be an option.

13 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

They're both so niche, though.

There isn't a plain "eh, I don't want this much bid, might as well fill the slot" talent.  Like, there's probably no talent I'd put on a Red Vet T-65.  Marksmanship probably wouldn't be worth it most of the time, but at least it'd be an option.

Selfless is pretty good yo

Also, plain just for points talents shouldn't be a thing, fight me.

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Marksmanship + Autoblaster is another unfun, frustrating card combo that should not be in hyperspace imo. So one of the two had to go.

Poe needs all the help he can get. This was one of those pieces that prevents him from becoming too generic of an I6.

Aside from that, it helps the M3A a bit. After that, only a TIE/D would want the combo though, right? B's would rather crack on the approach AFAIK.

14 minutes ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Poe needs all the help he can get. This was one of those pieces that prevents him from becoming too generic of an I6.

Aside from that, it helps the M3A a bit. After that, only a TIE/D would want the combo though, right? B's would rather crack on the approach AFAIK.

1) That does not matter because it makes unblockable crit damage not more fun.

2) We don't even know yet whether Poe needs help in Hyperspace or not. I expect XAAA to be one of the best lists, and that X is Poe.

I told myself I'd stop saying this, because no one listens, but I can't help it: Marksmanship+autoblasters is not a strong combo. I really don't see what's frustrating/unfun about it, either. If a ship managed to arc dodge you and score a bullseye on you, then that ship deserves a little salami an unblockable crit.

As for Poe, you can give him a funky bullseye weapon for only 1pt more, and it works out to r3 too.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

It is against kiting Rz-2s which Greendragoon loves to play.

That's a bold assumption. Also false.

21 minutes ago, gadwag said:

If a ship managed to arc dodge you and score a bullseye on you, then that ship deserves a little salami an unblockable crit.

If your i6 Poe has an r1 shot then chances are very high that he has bullseye. Just by area alone it is over 30%.

And double repo at i6 is not exactly difficult, is it?

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

If your i6 Poe has an r1 shot then chances are very high that he has bullseye. Just by area alone it is over 30%.

Without autoblaster+MM, if Poe has double repositioned for a r1 unmodified shot against a focused defender with 3 greens, then he has a 24% chance of pushing a damage through.

With autoblaster, I'll assume the bullseye is 30% of the r1 arc and that Poe is out-of-arc and receiving the autoblaster effect 3/4 of the time. This gives him a 23% chance of activating the bullseye+MM combo. When using the combo, he has a 93.75% chance of rolling a hit without dice mods. If the combo is inactive, he's back to the 24% chance regular Poe has of doing a damage (I'm assuming he uses his primary weapon for the extra die if he doesn't have bullseye). (0.23*0.9375) + (0.77*0.24) = 0.4. Marksmanship + autoblaster poe has very roughly a 40% chance of doing at least 1 damage at range 1. Now that's not nothing, and it's certainly more than 24% for regular Poe, but it's not terribly exciting when it costs 4pts and uses up my talent slot - and for only 2pts more I could have the much more useful outmaneuver, which is devastating at all range bands regardless of bullseye.

Autoblasters are of course less favourable against lower agility targets, and critically they don't work at range 3 when you need them the most.

On top of all of this, if my opponent's top ace ship, worth 72+ points, is only dealing out 1 crit per turn, I'm fine with that.

1 hour ago, gadwag said:

I told myself I'd stop saying this, because no one listens, but I can't help it: Marksmanship+autoblasters is not a strong combo. I really don't see what's frustrating/unfun about it, either. If a ship managed to arc dodge you and score a bullseye on you, then that ship deserves a little salami an unblockable crit.

As for Poe, you can give him a funky bullseye weapon for only 1pt more, and it works out to r3 too.

Now THAT is called thinking. 

2 minutes ago, gadwag said:

With autoblaster, I'll assume...

I don't think those numbers are all that relevant. My argument was not that it is good. My argument was that it is not fun for one player and easy to get for the other. Seyn, btw, is a second example that was cut.

If one of the motivations behind hyperspace is to remove "feels bad man" upgrades then MM+autoblasters is definitely one of them. "Ok so I will roll my green dice now. Wait, what do you mean I just take a critical damage?"

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

My argument was not that it is good. My argument was that it is not fun for one player and easy to get for the other. Seyn, btw, is a second example that was cut.

Sorry, I conflated your point with Hoarder of Garlic Bread's, who was arguing that Poe needed MM+autos as a buff.

I still think that flying to avoid out-of-arc bullseyes is sufficient counterplay and thus autoblaster+MM doesn't feel unfun to me. You can buy 3 ships for the price of Poe, which is more than enough to block him and prevent the double reposition.

4 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

If one of the motivations behind hyperspace is to remove "feels bad man" upgrades

I think you're right that this is one goal of hyperspace.

Autoblaster is chips. Marksmanship is gravy. If this flies over your head, it's because you aren't British enough to catch it.

The Firespray reinforce is almost certainly underutilised by me, because I don't think I ever have. Doesn't stop me packing the tokens.