SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

42 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

I really don't think dial creep is a thing in 2.0.

The problem is that most of your examples are from the Republic. Broadly speaking, the older ships chronologically have worse dials, and the newer ones (Sequel Trilogy) have better dials.

There are plenty of ways they’re balanced, but it’s mostly a flavor thing.

47 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

Okay, fireballs have a slightly worse dial than t-70s, but can slam more than once. Is that a better comp? They still feel like such better deals than transport pods, outside of rube goldberging pilot abilities. 

Rose is straight up better than a CSM if she has at least 2 ships for her ability.  That's not trivial, especially if those ships move semi-randomly around the map, but is at least worth the consideration if you're filling the spot in a more jousty list.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

The problem is that most of your examples are from the Republic. Broadly speaking, the older ships chronologically have worse dials, and the newer ones (Sequel Trilogy) have better dials.

There are plenty of ways they’re balanced, but it’s mostly a flavor thing.

Oh I see. You mean "Dial Creep" as in chronological dial creep – that dials get better as SW history goes on. Well, yeah, and I think that makes sense.

I thought you meant "Dial Creep" like we had in 1.0 where they introduced new turnaround maneuvers (sloops and trolls) that never became subsequently available to the ships it should have, and where the ships that came out had better and better dials until we arrived at the nightmare that was the Jumpmaster 5000.

The former makes sense from a thematic perspective. The latter would be a fundamental and more-or-less unfixable game problem.

4 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

https://m.imgur.com/a/lX9JG8F

Concept art from Colin Trevorrow's  cancelled Star Wars Episode IX: Duel of the Fates.

Shoot. That would have been pretty incredible.

But TBH I can't complain. I mean, just like the Prequel Trilogy, the Sequels will eventually become a beloved part of SW canon. They're great fun in their own right.

But as always, I'm way more interested in the world-building and storytelling there is to be had in and around the story than straight through it. TV Star Wars is best Star Wars, always was, and always will be.

Not to derail the thread.

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Not to derail the thread.

giphy.gif

So a little over a dozen games in with the B-Wing Beatdown (ORIGINAL CREATION DO NOT STEAL!) and I'm still trying to figure out why a 39-40pt X-wing feels cheap and disposable whereas a 41pt X-Wing didn't.  Like, it should be that different as it's only a 2-3% cost difference, but it just feels easier to get it into a list and more like you can throw it away without caring too much if you see the potential to trade up.   It also just feels better when it lands a full string, like the hero bandits of yore. 

2 minutes ago, Tsavong said:

I've been breaking out Firesprays again lately. Y'all think that the reinforce is underutilized?

Eh, like red reinforce has always made it easy to trap and kill whenever people use it, but that's just been my experience.

3 minutes ago, Tsavong said:

I've been breaking out Firesprays again lately. Y'all think that the reinforce is underutilized?

It's somewhere around as underutilized as Angled Deflectors are; a nice idea that will probably just get you killed.

On the other hand, if we start seeing a lot more 15-dice swarms, it could be relevant, only for Boba Fett.

Not sure how the maths work out for how many you'd need to have attacking you in order for it to be better than focus/double-focus/double-calc/maul 2x force etc.

It also means you definitely did a stupid.

54 minutes ago, Tsavong said:

Hrm.

You do take a reasonably smaller amount of damage if you do Reinforce.  Around 2 hits over the course of 5 attacks from focused 3-red ships (or 7 attacks from focused, Howlran TIEs), compared to no tokens.  However, you'll probably die in two rounds of concentrated fire either way, and it'll be harder to get out of the field of fire while stressed.

I think there's probably situations where it's handy, but I don't think it's secretly amazing and folks have just been blind to it.