SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

27 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Never underestimate anyone named Gina; let me just tell you from personal experience.

TV teaches us that this is also true for any secretary/assistant named Donna.

Donna Moss on West Wing.  Donna Noble on Doctor Who.  Donna Paulsen on Suits.  I think there's even a serial killer secretary named Donna in an episode of Elementary, who kills folks so the executive she's working for can keep getting promoted (and she can follow him up the ladder).

1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

Never underestimate anyone named Gina; let me just tell you from personal experience.

44 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

TV teaches us that this is also true for any secretary/assistant named Donna.

Donna Moss on West Wing.  Donna Noble on Doctor Who.  Donna Paulsen on Suits.  I think there's even a serial killer secretary named Donna in an episode of Elementary, who kills folks so the executive she's working for can keep getting promoted (and she can follow him up the ladder).

You can be wary of Donnas, that's fine, but be d@*n sure to never, never underestimate Gina's. 

New Squadron

(58) Starkiller Base Pilot [Upsilon-class command shuttle]
(6) General Hux

(45) First Order Provocateur [TIE/ba Interceptor]

Total points: 199

One effect of Wave 7 is that a light crew carrier can fully synergize Hux with ships that can find green tokens a bit tight, have stress-free linking, and have a native 3 3 2 2 statline (until the stress-free linking happens).

Kylo 2 U is a better extended use of shuttles and an interceptor, but one day Hux will change the function of the BA.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Is Gina's better, somehow, than Donna's?

(Is it good this is all very vague?  Yes.  Yes, it is.)

Yes, yes, yes...

Gina’s are definitely better than Donna’s. 

Not vague whatsoever. 😉

Edited by clanofwolves

7 hours ago, AEIllingworth said:

That kind of brings up an interesting point. We sometimes glancingly talk about the value of boost, but we don’t get more into dials than “it has a good dial” when a ship gets previewed. 

Is it just too obvious to talk about? Fireballs are better than torrents, and it’s not just because of slam, right?

Idk how to feel about dial creep. I know it exists, but it hasn’t broken anything, yet. R4 can usually eliminate it on older chassis’s anyway. I guess I accept as more of a necessary evil or potentially good thing because it makes every ship feel different. Usually there’s a maneuver on a 2E dial I wish was a different color, so as long as that Keeps happening I think I’m okay with it.

So I picked up the Fireball yesterday. The ship ability is really cool, but I didn’t expect them to make it a part of the physical model.

As a side note, the plastic packaging around the ship might be a bit tight on the wingtips, and difficult/impossible to just push in the nubs so that you can safely pull the ship out intact 🙄 (it’ll be a nice and easy glue, so I’m not worried. Just found it odd how tight the packaging was :P)

Edited by SpiderMana

6 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

For your 70 pt Quickdraws to fly alongside 2 Fanatical Advanced Optic First Order Test Pilots, Proud Tradition is better than Fanatical.

Fite Mii.

Honestly, I kinda think Fanatical is probably overrated on QD (and certainly on most other SFs, where Crack Shot is king).  Investing in a slow trickle of damage once your shields are gone doesn't seem as important as QD being an aggressive ace-killer.

Proud actually kinda makes sense to me.  On a 57 point QD, it's a lot cheaper than Pattern Analyzer, and since QD isn't often stressed, having Proud for that one time you want to do a S-Loop seems nice.  On a 70 point QD, you've probably got Pattern Analyzer anyhow, and you could PA a Lock and then still Focus as your normal action.  That seems like a more "damage forward" sort of power-move, and probably better than "I'm not useless once my shields are gone."

13 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Idk how to feel about dial creep. I know it exists, but it hasn’t broken anything, yet. R4 can usually eliminate it on older chassis’s anyway. I guess I accept as more of a necessary evil or potentially good thing because it makes every ship feel different. Usually there’s a maneuver on a 2E dial I wish was a different color, so as long as that Keeps happening I think I’m okay with it.

I really don't think dial creep is a thing in 2.0.

Compare the Republic and Rebel Y-Wings – which one is clearly better? Not the new one.

Compare the B-Wing and Torrent – which one is clearly better? Not the new one.

Actually, those two are nearly identical, with slight differences (and based on the way they fly on-screen that's hard to justify).

I really can't think of many examples of new dials that are clearly just "better" than old dials, ceteris paribus. Sure, the droid pilots have blue turns, but they make up for it in white and red banks. It's character/theme.

Or perhaps you mean the RZ-2 and the TIE Baron, which certainly have incredible dials. But, on the other hand, the Silencer's dial was toned down a bit, and it would be difficult to find any other way to improve on the dials of the RZ-1 and TIE/in than what they did...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

I guess I was trying to say we don’t get more into it than “the jumpmaster will always be bad because it has a terrible dial” (hot take there, 180 arc seems pretty good). 

26 points for a fireball feels cheap, even before you take into account the dial being probably better than a gunboat? Is it better than a gunboat? One hards and tallon rolls makes up for the three hard going red, probably, but three hard slams were really good. 

rz-2 are good because they probably want 2 hard, 3 bank, and 5 straight most often, and all three are blue!

No one is going to play a Mist Hunter other than 4-LOM, he likes red moves and there are too many for the other pilots without crazy price discrepancy. 

Im using extended examples because they seem to have the most extreme cases, but maybe I’m just not remembering things. 

Just now, impspy said:

All the more reason to leave extended and the conversion kits behind.
50240432_226040221539492_842108692923940

Okay, fireballs have a slightly worse dial than t-70s, but can slam more than once. Is that a better comp? They still feel like such better deals than transport pods, outside of rube goldberging pilot abilities. 

1 minute ago, AEIllingworth said:

Okay, fireballs have a slightly worse dial than t-70s, but can slam more than once. Is that a better comp? They still feel like such better deals than transport pods, outside of rube goldberging pilot abilities. 

It seems like a fair trade off, plus it's not like they have native crit mitigation or high agility and/or attack. The TIE/ba has a pretty fair dial imo, so that seems promising to me.