SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Don't forget it can be used offensively, too. I often use it just to skip a turn of movement to maintain pressure (eg. I'm going to T-Roll now so I can get straight back into the fight rather than wasting a turn coming about).

Edited by DR4CO

Any of you guys play against Count Deathku yet? 

Not exactly what I would call..."new player friendly":

_______

DeathKu

(63) Count Dooku [Sith Infiltrator]
(3) Tractor Beam
(3) General Grievous
(3) Heightened Perception
(10) Kraken
(4) Scimitar

(21) Separatist Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]

(19) Trade Federation Drone [Vulture-class Droid Fighter]
(4) Discord Missiles

(4) Discord Missiles

Total points: 195

_____

Edit: Hyperspace legal

Edited by Bucknife

8 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I played against the original version at the Australian System Open (6 Trade Fed Drones with K2-B4 instead of Seppies with additional toys), and... yeah. I found it tricky and I've been playing since Wave 4 of 1st Edition.

I am very freaked out that it's entirely Hyperspace legal. I suspect it will be one of the format's strongest lists.

EDIT: Just realised that saying "I found it tricky" kind of implies I beat it. I did not. It was, however, a closely run affair. Close enough that Obi-Wan failing to kill a 1-hull, 1-agility, tokenless Vulture had a considerable impact on the outcome.

Edited by DR4CO

1 minute ago, DR4CO said:
7 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

I am very freaked out that it's entirely Hyperspace legal. I suspect it will be one of the format's strongest lists.

Um, yeah. 

Personally, I think I'd do this:

Count Dooku [63]
+ Heightened Perception [3]
+ Tractor Beam [3]
+ General Grievous [3]
+ K2-B4 [5]
Separatist Drone [21]
Separatist Drone [21]
Separatist Drone [21]
Separatist Drone [21]
Trade Federation Drone [19]
Trade Federation Drone [19]

K2-B4 actually works very well in the list as he makes the Tractor Beam even scarier. More important now, though, is that he's cheap enough to allow us to get a lot of i3 droids that can initiative kill all the i2 X-wings that will be running around.

5 hours ago, gennataos said:

Trap might be wrong, but defense title usage usually just delays the bully, not prevent nor rectify it. Of course, it’s only recently that I’ve been playing stuff which can punish the bully, so maybe I should try it. 

Yeah, the ion after is the trap. I've thrown games with that...

On 1/19/2020 at 1:07 PM, wurms said:

Reapers. You want reapers. Not HS legal though.

Maarek Stele (45)
Ruthless (1)
Fire-Control System (2)

Scarif Base Pilot (39)

Scarif Base Pilot (39)

Scarif Base Pilot (39)

Lieutenant Kestal (31)
Ruthless (1)
Dorsal Turret (3)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

... I've never seen a crappier list. 😄

I kid. Bulk has a quality of its own. 

Nor something I've never wanted less of in my life. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

4 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Yeah, the ion after is the trap. I've thrown games with that...

I think my opinion on the title is colored significantly by the phat Poe's I've usually played.  Even in Poe 3A, though, he usually needs to stay alive to finish a game against stuff like Kylo/(Afterburners) Vader/etc., so he has to bug out rather than get shots sometimes.  Now, I feel he needs to prioritize shots pretty much all the time.  He can be traded if what's left can finish, and he has more beef available to finish.

13 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Which Poe list do you like the best and why?

Unnamed Squadron (197)
Poe Dameron — T-70 X-Wing	68
Heroic	1
R4 Astromech	2
Integrated S-Foils	0
Black One	2
Ship Total: 73
Half Points: 37 Threshold: 4

Zizi Tlo — RZ-2 A-Wing	40
Heroic	1
Ship Total: 41
Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Tallissan Lintra — RZ-2 A-Wing	36
Heroic	1
Ship Total: 37
Half Points: 19 Threshold: 2

Blue Squadron Rookie — T-70 X-Wing	42
Integrated S-Foils	0
Advanced Optics	4
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 4

AO on the rookies is pretty clutch for 46 point filler, and the A's are always good.

If we get Wave VI for Fort Worth SOS I'm gonna be pissed that I haven't been practicing with Vonreg...

Edited by impspy

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So resistance squads with Poe:

- Poe Zizi Tali Greer

- Poe Zizi Nien Yeager

- Poe XXX

- Poe FFFFFF

- Poe Zizi Cova Kaz 

- Poe FF Rose Rookie

- Poe + Zizi Yeager FF

- Poe + ????

I've honestly not explored a ton yet.  I took the obvious huge drop things which I didn't think would drop that much but it's great because 3-die guns and lots of health can weather many storms and bully many things...so Poe XXX (all in one breath, whew).

I've also tried slotting in Kaz for a rookie, which might be too situational to be the best choice.  I definitely want to try Poe Zizi/Tallie/Greer, which is a very different list and approach than Poe XXX.  I kind of loathe the pods and space couches, so probably won't touch those much.  

Ask me again in a month or two, when the Hyperspace meta shakes out a little more and I might say something different.

7 minutes ago, impspy said:

Unnamed Squadron (197)
Poe Dameron  T-70 X-Wing	68
Heroic	1
R4 Astromech	2
Integrated S-Foils	0
Black One	2
Ship Total: 73
Half Points: 37 Threshold: 4

Zizi Tlo  RZ-2 A-Wing	40
Heroic	1
Ship Total: 41
Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Tallissan Lintra  RZ-2 A-Wing	36
Heroic	1
Ship Total: 37
Half Points: 19 Threshold: 2

Blue Squadron Rookie  T-70 X-Wing	42
Integrated S-Foils	0
Advanced Optics	4
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 4

@impspy - If you're going to have Optics on anyone in that squad, I'd suggest Zizi, she'd get the most use out of it.  

21 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So resistance squads with Poe:

- Poe Zizi Tali Greer

- Poe Zizi Nien Yeager

- Poe XXX

- Poe FFFFFF

- Poe Zizi Cova Kaz 

- Poe FF Rose Rookie

- Poe + Zizi Yeager FF

- Poe + ????

No clue about fireballs - yet. EZizi is so OP that Poe Zizi Greer and anything should be good...

14 minutes ago, gennataos said:

@impspy - If you're going to have Optics on anyone in that squad, I'd suggest Zizi, she'd get the most use out of it.  

That, or turn the Rookie into a naked Bastian. He comes with built in Optics.

Why not both?
Poe Zizi Tallie Bastian fits. And previously mentioned XAAA looks beautiful, with 4 points to spare. Or maybe even 8, because Tallie and optics... Scratch her for Kazuda because we know that the list needs another 3/3 ace hunter.

I have no clue what I'm doing, but this feels like a year ago. I will again enjoy it as much as I can until Summer and points change, only to meander half a year through pointless lists. My 2.0 cycle, I might get used to it.

8 hours ago, DR4CO said:

I played it a few times last game night, and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Tractor never hit; not even once in 3 games.  And when it doesn't, not having TA-175 means you have a bunch of wimps backing Dooku up.  Aces shred it to pieces, I've found.  Am I missing something obvious?

4 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

I played it a few times last game night, and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Tractor never hit; not even once in 3 games.  And when it doesn't, not having TA-175 means you have a bunch of wimps backing Dooku up.  Aces shred it to pieces, I've found.  Am I missing something obvious?

I remain thoroughly unimpressed with Dooku for much the same reason. Either I ignore him and deny him the decloak->attack while mopping up his teammates or I burn him to the ground and clean up what's left.

5 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Just now, impspy said:

I remain thoroughly unimpressed with Dooku for much the same reason. Either I ignore him and deny him the decloak->attack while mopping up his teammates or I burn him to the ground and clean up what's left.

Basically, it looks like it terrifies low ship count/aces.

It doesn't appear to scare 4-5 ships that are all above i1. Once you "waste" your dooku shot tractoring a t70, for example, I'm just going to take the strain on the t70s to nuke 2 vultures from orbit before their fire. then you can, maybe, kill a t70 with your remaining ones. Or not.

9 hours ago, Bucknife said:

_______

DeathKu

(63) Count Dooku [Sith Infiltrator]
(3) Tractor Beam
(3) General Grievous
(3) Heightened Perception
(10) Kraken
(4) Scimitar

(4) Discord Missiles

(4) Discord Missiles

Total points: 195

_____

Edit: Hyperspace legal

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

It doesn't appear to scare 4-5 ships that are all above i1. Once you "waste" your dooku shot tractoring a t70, for example, I'm just going to take the strain on the t70s to nuke 2 vultures from orbit before their fire. then you can, maybe, kill a t70 with your remaining ones. Or not.

Between the tractor changes and higher ship counts, this seems like something I would expect to fall apart mid game. Dooku seems like he’ll run out of force, then he can only play one trick at a time and needs you to be in arc. As a 3 dice gun that may or may not have focus and wants to spend force on effects, not dice, I don’t even know that I’d shoot at him until Vultures were mostly gone. 

It’s probably not fun to play against, but it doesn’t seem overly concerning? 

Edited by PaulRuddSays

5 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

... I've never seen a crappier list. 😄

I kid. Bulk has a quality of its own. 

Nor something I've never wanted less of in my life. 

Dont knock it til you try it :P

I did Echo ruthless, Vermeil Ruthless, and two scarifs at beginning of 2nd Ed. and did well, and that was at the time of Whisper with vader crew, cheap redline and torps, drea swarms, double shot dash, etc. Now points dropped enough to fit a decent 5th ship in with ruthless.

3 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I guess I flew it wrong, then.  For me, it was similar to Sear swarm- the token stacking passive mod double repo arc dodger (kylo, Holo, obi, soontir, and Vader in my games) evades the tractor shot, then the double attack mod shots kill a vulture or two.  Run with the ones who are at risk of getting blocked, and take the shots of opportunity you can get for the rest of the match.

Sure, a tractor that hits could be scary, but that's an if I don't want to wager every game on.

Edited by Ablazoned

9 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

I guess I flew it wrong, then.  For me, it was similar to Sear swarm- the token stacking passive mod double repo arc dodger (kylo, Holo, obi, soontir, and Vader in my games) evades the tractor shot, then the double attack mod shots kill a culture or two.  Run with the ones who are at risk of getting blocked, and take the shots of opportunity you can get for the rest of the match.

Sure, a tractor that hits could be scary, but that's an if I don't want to wager every game on.

I mean, that too.

Edit -but that;s also what the strain bot is for too.

Edited by Tlfj200